What's new

Darkening of razor during cleaning soak?

I have a gold plated Apollo razor that I was cleaning the other day with scrubbing bubbles then a soak in a dilute vinegar solution. When I pulled the razor from the vinegar bath I noticed that areas of gold plate loss which were initially silvery had become a dull dark grey. I was able to polish these areas up but the discoloration remained. Oddly enough had a similar thing happen to a vintage Hoffritz slant which I left in hot water/aluminum foil/baking soda bath (for too long, I guess).

Anybody know what's happening here, and if there is a way to reverse it? The discoloration of the Hoffritz was limited to the cap which was quite shiny previously and I presumed that I had damaged the lacquer somehow (are silver razors lacquer coated?). Can't quite explain what has happened to the Apollo razor.

Thanks for the replies, I saw in some thread someone mentioned soaking razors in dilute vinegar for cleaning, will have to avoid that now.

I have damaged razors in all sorts of ways trying to clean them now. I ruined a vintage Gillette aluminum razor after leaving it in a Barbicide bath for too long. Bonehead! :a52:

Top Bottom