What's new

homemade A/S question

I have noticed that many make a homemade version of aftershave with witch hazel and various other ingr. here is a question for those who have made some

I was at the local dollar tree today and noticed they had 50% alcohol with wintergreen ( im assuming menthol is added to the alcohol )

Has any body ever mixed those two items together and of so what was the ratios , im just wondering if that would work or if that would just be a disastear waiting to happen on my skin . I am cheap( by choice and now circumstance ) and the prosepct of 32 oz of a/s for 2$ is just to tempting :001_smile

I'm certainly a big fan of dollar stores, but chances are what you saw was rubbing alcohol with some menthol and/or salicylates. A bargain, but probably rough on the face (especially after a shave.) I've even heard of members using alcohol-based mouthwashes as aftershaves, but am not sure how they tolerate the scent.

you might have better luck with generic witch hazel mixed with whatever you like, or a generic splash (AV clone, etc.) or even Barbasol, which gets much love from those near a Dollar General store.

It's always nice to add a little glycerin if you see it at the drugstore.

I wouldn't try to use menthol alcohol for an AS.

Your best bet is to dissolve some menthol crystals in 91% alcohol or find some menthol essential oil. Here is a good vendor for that.

Me too. Cheap, that is. I have tried the wintergreen alcohol as a cheap AS substitute and as a cheap ingredient for my homemade AS. Works well enough I suppose, but it smells of bubble gum. Or bubble gum that an evil doctor would concoct.

Top Bottom