What's new

DIY Homemade Snake Bite

I'm going through these pretty quick. I keep splashing it on in the evenings too. Love that menthol feeling.

So,next batch formula before I forget.

35ml Everclear
12ml Witch hazel
1ml Isopropyl Alcohol
1ml Glycerin
1ml Menthol
50ml total

Kinda played it by ear on this one. Seemed like a lot of Glycerin. But I just splashed some on and don't feel it at all which is good. I don't want sticky or balm feeling.

I felt more of a quick bite. There is maybe a little more everclear but not much more vs witch hazel then the 30:10 ratio I used before. I think the Isopropyl is the key to that initial quick bite in Snake bite.

Looking forward to using up this batch.
The amount of glycerin is a matter of taste and season, but it's a tiny amount. I would start with 10-15 drops in 100ml which works out to approx 0.5 ml. The glycerin should sink into the skin when the aftershave is rubbed in, not become a layer on top of the skin.

The job of the glycerin is to be a humectant, IOW it draws moisture to the skin. It is not like a layer on top of the skin.

Ok batch #6 (I think 🤔)

I didn't like that much glycerin that was out in the last batch. If you like to feel moisturized on the face that was plenty at 1ml in the ratio it was in up there.

I upped the alcohol and the menthol this time and reduced the glycerin including the ratio it's in Decided to keep in a little to see how this feels.

Everclear: 43ml
Witch hazel: 10ml
Menthol: 2ml
Isopropyl: 2ml
Glycerin: .5ml
Total 57.5ml

And that feels nice in menthol again. I think I like somewhere between 1-2ml of it to 50ml. Though the total ml this time was 57.5ml

IMG_20230502_162156058.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The amount of glycerin is a matter of taste and season, but it's a tiny amount. I would start with 10-15 drops in 100ml which works out to approx 0.5 ml. The glycerin should sink into the skin when the aftershave is rubbed in, not become a layer on top of the skin.

The job of the glycerin is to be a humectant, IOW it draws moisture to the skin. It is not like a layer on top of the skin.

If and when I add glycerin to a mix, I usually start at 1 drop per 1 ounce of mix. That’s usually sufficient, you can always add more, but you can’t take it back out if it gets too sticky.

A little goes a long way with vegetable glycerin. :)

This mix feels pretty good. Stronger menthol then snake bite. Close to the initial bite of it as well. The glycerin is better but I think I'll drop it though the rest of the summer.

This mix feels pretty good. Stronger menthol then snake bite. Close to the initial bite of it as well. The glycerin is better but I think I'll drop it though the rest of the summer.
If you have too much glycerin left on the skin, you can let the A/S sink in a few minutes, then splash a little water on the face and pat dry. You will still get some moisturizing effect without it being sticky.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great thread I’ve enjoyed reading and following along seeing the progress

I’ve added glycerin to Osage rub. And I think a few other aftershaves. I think I did a few drops per 4oz bottle. Too much does result in an almost sticky feeling.

Yep, I was thinking of leaving the glycerin out the rest of the summer. But I might try .25ml next just to see how it feels. .5 ml still feels moisturized to me and that maybe perfect for some people. It's definitely better then the full 1ml. I didn't like that as much.

Batch #7

Another batch another tweak to test. I decided to try glycerin in the batch again but at a smaller amount. Also, I left out the isopropyl. It did give it the initial bite but didn't really like the smell ,though fleeting, of the isopropyl. And maybe it just needs much less.

Everclear: 50ml
Menthol: 1.5ml
Isopropyl: 0 ml
Glycerin: 3 drops
Total 61.5 ml + 3 drops

Initial no shave use feels really good. The menthol smells/feels much closer to actual snake bite.

Haven't updated this right away this time. I think this has been the best batch yet for me. Though I think the next batch I'll try just 2 drops of glycerin. It's crazy I can still feel the glycerin with just 3 drops of it.

The alcohol amount is perfect I think. I really like the feel. It doesn't exactly have the harsh first bite but still has the alcohol quick burn to cooling feel. If I ever wanted that quick harder bite I could add back in the isopropyl. Pretty sure that was doing it.

The menthol amount does seem to be just about right for matching the Fine Snake Bite.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Haven't updated this right away this time. I think this has been the best batch yet for me. Though I think the next batch I'll try just 2 drops of glycerin. It's crazy I can still feel the glycerin with just 3 drops of it.

The alcohol amount is perfect I think. I really like the feel. It doesn't exactly have the harsh first bite but still has the alcohol quick burn to cooling feel. If I ever wanted that quick harder bite I could add back in the isopropyl. Pretty sure that was doing it.

The menthol amount does seem to be just about right for matching the Fine Snake Bite.

I have enjoyed following your thread. I think your perseverance in experimention with your DYI Snake Bite is paying dividends Jason.

From my experiences, I agree with you on the vegetable glycerin. It doesn’t take much at all. That picture you posted of the Now brand bottle of glycerin you purchased, can easily last for enough dyi snake bites for several generations to come.

I can picture your great grandchildren, moisturizing their snake bite recipe that their Great Grandfather passed down, with that exact same bottle of glycerin. :)

Also, I see you have taken out the 91% alcohol from your mix? Not because you didn’t like the initial “snake bite” but because of the scent it gave off? Is this correct?

Because if it is, you could possibly add 70% Isopropyl instead of the 91%? The extra water added to the 70% might still give you the initial ‘bite’ desired, but negate the isopropyl scent better?

Or you can just spend a bit extra money and get this?

Then you can have the desired initial bite back, without that initial scent of bitterness from the Isopropyl. :)

Thanks! Yeah, I believe I could smell the isopropyl briefly and taste if it hadn't evaporated evaporated yet. I might try the 70% at some point too.

Batch #8

Menthol: 1ml
Glycerin: 2 drops (between 1-2)
Total 61 ml + 2 drops

How low can I go. Reducing menthol and glycerin again to see the difference.

It's hard to get only a couple drops. That glycerin is viscous . I know two drops went in but they seemed like they were drops of different sizes so it's hard to know actual amounts. Pipette I'm using may not be best if wanting to be precise with the drops for glycerin.

Last edited:
Ok, 1ml of menthol not enough for me. It's more then say something like Aqua Velva but it's not eye watering capable of Snake Bite. I'll go back to 1.5ml on next batch.

I still like the 50ml Everclear to 10ml Witch Hazel.

The glycerin I finally don't feel. The skin feels stretched after application. This could be too drying for some people. Perfect for others. Going into humid climate this may be perfect. Will see.

Batch #9

Menthol: 2 ml
Glycerin: 2 drops
Total 61 ml + 2 drops

Pretty well set I think on this formula till Winter starts hitting. Then I think I'll drop to 1.5ml of Menthol and 3 drops of glycerin.

Batch #10

Bottle tweak

Menthol: 2 ml??? (Solid crystals added)
Glycerin: 2 drops
Total 62 ml + 2 drops

I switched to an old proraso green bottle. I noticed the top has an insert that easily comes out. Now I don't need to use a pipette anymore to transfer from my plastic measuring cylinder to the bottle anymore.

IMG_20230619_220900713.jpg

I also don't need to melt the menthol crystals now as the opening is big enough. I just have to break up some of the larger crystals. So, I went back to adding crystals to the liquid. I added 10ml of which hazel and then dropped in pieces of menthol crystals till it got to 12ml then poured it all into the bottle. Then just shook it up. The menthol dissolves on its own in there.

I put ??? Next to the Menthol because this method of dropping in menthol seems to make the menthol stronger. Don't know if raising the volume by 2ml with solid crystals is actually more menthol then adding 2ml of melted liquid menthol but it is definitely stronger. 2ml this method feels like 3ml melted method. Or maybe melted reduces its potency?

That is how I feel about isopropyl.

I typically put menthol crystals into an 'airline' bottle of vodka, then add a bit (5ml?) of witch hazel after the level goes down a bit.

I try to hit the mentholation point where my eyes just start to water. No tears running down my face.

If I want a little scent I add a crushed mint leaf to the bottle.

Top Bottom