What's new

1967 Super Speed - So Smooth

Until this morning I had only ever used one DE razor--the Merkur Classic I have been using daily for the last seven months. The Merkur cuts whiskers very effectively, but also can be a bit too aggressive on my neck. Here's my new morning companion:

View attachment 114368

This thing is so smooth I seriously didn't think it was cutting a damn thing, until I looked in the sink and saw the stubble. Amazing. It might not shave quite as close as the Merkur, but it also leaves more skin intact to conceal the day's growth. Sometimes I feel like the Merkur shaves so much skin off that it actually appears that I didn't get a close shave at all. I'm a guy with Don Draper perma-shadow anyway. Nothing short of a belt sander would totally eliminate it, and I'm not concerned about it.

Bottom line is that I got a very smooth, close shave with absolutely no neck irritation. I think I'm going to stick with this beauty. Not fancy, but oh so smooth.

That is when it clicked for me. The day I said "Lets work on a comfortable shave." Seems like the close part just fell into place shortly there after.

Congrats on finding a sweet razor.....

I agree that this is a very pleasant razor to use. I started with one of these (and still have it). I have since switched to a Merkur slant, which is also a smooth shave, contrary to popular belief.

I just bought two Super Speeds I found in a flea market (1964 and 1970), and I loved the shave. Very comparable to my Merkur, and, you're right, a little smoother.

I've been using the same 1979 black handled SS for 3 decades. I have several razors and that's the best one.

1949 SS
1955 Red Tip SS
1959 Fatboy
1965 Slim
1965 SS
1970 Short handle Super Adjustable
1973 Long handle Super Adjustable
1979 SS
1976 SS

Vinnie, I have to admit that Don Draper's use of a black-handled SS was not far from my mind when I pulled the trigger. Call it persuasive retro product placement. A fictional character succeeds in creating demand for a long unavailable product.

Top Bottom