What's new

DE Razor Blade disposal?

I use a tin piggy bank I got for $3 at the local drug store and super glued the lid shut. It stands about 4 inches tall and is 3 inches wide. I figure it will hold about 1000 - 1500 blades so I should be good for 10+ years.

View attachment 552317

I have changed my mind a few times. I started by putting them in the bottom slot of the tuck, but sometimes, like in the case of Derbys, that slot can be cumbersome to use. I now may plug that slot with a folded-up blade wrapper so the old Derbys do not fall out, and when I get home (about half my shaves are away), empty the old blades from the tuck and toss them in the blade bank. The blade bank was a plagiarized idea from other contributors, one of whom had the wrapper art, and another who suggested cutting the slot in a can of broth, draining the contents, and then using the can as the blade bank.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/315440-A-Handy-Homemade-Blade-Bank!-PICS
Howtogrowamoustache.com also has a piece of blade bank art.
I figure one of two things will happen first. The blade bank will become rusty in spots and I'll dispose of it and replace it, or I will die. It is unlikely the thing will ever fill up in this lifetime.

$IMG_0270.jpg$IMG_0272.jpg$IMG_0273.jpg

I use a small pasta sauce can. I have one of those can openers that removes the lid by separating the clue that holds the lid on and not cutting the metal. Once it's full I'll put the lid on, tape it shut, and write used razor blades on it with a sharpie. I'll either take it to the local recycling place, hospital, or put in in the recycle bin. Most likely it'll go to the metal recycling facility.

Last edited:
It may be worth looking into the regulations for your area. In my area, as a private citizen (as opposed to a business), I can dispose of biohazard sharps in any rigid container so long as I label it "SHARPS" clearly on all sides. So I've got a small medical specimen container that the blades just barely lay flat in the bottom of. It's a screw top, so I just toss one in and re-close the top. It's tall enough it'll probably fit 400-500 blades before it's full.

Not fancy, just an empty Altoids tin re-purposed. Cut the slit with a carpet knife. You could also use a large wood chisel. Tin is secured shut with JB weld. Large enough to be useful, but small enough to keep in the vanity drawer out of the way.
proxy.php

proxy.php

I use a tin piggy bank I got for $3 at the local drug store and super glued the lid shut. It stands about 4 inches tall and is 3 inches wide. I figure it will hold about 1000 - 1500 blades so I should be good for 10+ years.

View attachment 552317
I have a similar one, but then with Dutch Guilders. Cost less than a Euro, and will keep enough blades for years.

I got an pill bottle that I glued the lid on and cut an opening in the top. When it gets full, I'll wrap it in duct tape and toss it. I've been DE shaving for 6 months now and it's Not even 1/2 full.

I have changed my mind a few times. I started by putting them in the bottom slot of the tuck, but sometimes, like in the case of Derbys, that slot can be cumbersome to use. I now may plug that slot with a folded-up blade wrapper so the old Derbys do not fall out, and when I get home (about half my shaves are away), empty the old blades from the tuck and toss them in the blade bank. The blade bank was a plagiarized idea from other contributors, one of whom had the wrapper art, and another who suggested cutting the slot in a can of broth, draining the contents, and then using the can as the blade bank.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/315440-A-Handy-Homemade-Blade-Bank!-PICS
Howtogrowamoustache.com also has a piece of blade bank art.
I figure one of two things will happen first. The blade bank will become rusty in spots and I'll dispose of it and replace it, or I will die. It is unlikely the thing will ever fill up in this lifetime.

View attachment 552717View attachment 552718View attachment 552719
Very nice! I seen this, the person used a tomato paste can, there small. He cut a slot in the top, cleaned it out. And decorated it.
I picked up a few Blade Banks with an order, as they are a few bucks. Not worth buying them alone.

$1 in target for the mailbox and a soup / vegetable can with a printed label. Both are hot glued shut.

Attachments

• $20140103_182547.jpg
    $20140103_182547.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 55
I use the razor slot in the back of my bathroom medicine cabinet... It will take several lifetimes to fill that space between wall studs, and if this 25 year old house is ever demolished or remodeled, a concentrated block of used razor blades is the least of the hazards to be conquered, and a perfect recycling candidate. It is a tradition as old as DE shaving itself. If there were no razor slot, I would have made one.

I wish that I was aware of the history and lore of DE shaving when I was a kid, and worked from time to time in remodeling. So many bathroom walls were opened for renewal, and thousands of blades were shoveled into the trash without a second thought.. What a history lesson lost...

Where I live at here in California our City provides us with free red boxes (sharps container) and disposal. When I lived in Ohio ten years ago they told us to use an empty laundry container and hand it to the trash collectors when filled for proper disposal.

Top Bottom