What's new

Razors, and Shaving stuff you bought but wish you had not. Bad purchases, or bad products?

Think one of my big mistake was parking my DE Razor for New Fangle Disposable Shavers many years. General rule IMHO is most disposables are over price per shave, not well made, do not last well, and are pricy to the point of craziness.

Was at Wal-Greens the other day, they had some 5 packs of disposable (Gillette) by P & G, for $22.95 +Tax, don't think this was any sort of value. This is the one currently bing pimp on TV, as the BEST thing going. Too separate you from money.

Over years there are lost of stuff I call shaving accessories, I use Razor, DE Blade, Soap, Bowl, and last Brush. Not a collector or hobbyist, I am sort of minimalist. Couple of Razors, couple of Brushes, nothing pricy.

These. I like to try diferent blades. Its a cheap part of the hobby and you might get lucky. I bought three tucks to qualify for free shipping.
1706110539071.png

These are super and I mean super bad. A stroke and a half into my shave with one of these and it was immediately binned. Worst blade I have ever tried. I wouldn't scrape paint with these.

It's never happened.

I choose my purchases carefully, and if necessary ask a few questions beforehand. That goes for hardware and software.

Everything I have is world class in terms of performance for my face, if not in price.

Also the wonderful kind pifs' I have received over the years have always been spot on.

I must say I did acquire something which was free, and is my best shaving possession. A good and constantly improving technique.

So I love all my stuff.

Especially my vintages :wink2:

Hopefully my luck will hold.

Last edited:
These. I like to try diferent blades. Its a cheap part of the hobby and you might get lucky. I bought three tucks to qualify for free shipping.
View attachment 1785228
These are super and I mean super bad. A stroke and a half into my shave with one of these and it was immediately binned. Worst blade I have ever tried. I wouldn't scrape paint with these.
I know blades are one of the biggest YMMV items in shaving, BUT, I find the Super Gillette Blue Blades to be excellent:
FF-K_2020-08-08.jpg

It's possible you got a dud. Do try another one before you chuck them out.

Great answer! I wish it was mine. I’m a little impulsive at times. I recently bought a handful of no name vintage Euro open comb razors on the bay. They were inexpensive so I didn’t really have high hopes but once I laid eyes on them I was a little disappointed. Who knows, maybe they’ll shave fine? I’m all stocked up for OCtober!
It's never happened.

I choose my purchases carefully, and if necessary ask a few questions beforehand. That goes for hardware and software.

Everything I have is world class in terms of performance for my face, if not always in price.

Also the wonderful kind pifs' I have received over the years have always been spot on.

I must say I did acquire something which was free, and is my best shaving possession. A good and constantly improving technique.

So I love all my stuff.

Especially my vintages.

Hopefully my luck will hold.

I know blades are one of the biggest YMMV items in shaving, BUT, I find the Super Gillette Blue Blades to be excellent:
View attachment 1785246

It's possible you got a dud. Do try another one before you chuck them out.
I was reading about them. It is possible I got fake ones. I am not going to waste brain cells trying to figure out what is genuine or not. Too many other blades out there.

I recently bought a handful of no name vintage Euro open comb razors on the bay. They were inexpensive so I didn’t really have high hopes but once I laid eyes on them I was a little disappointed.
There are some wonderful unheralded gems out in the wild. Often they are amazing performers. I found that in a somewhat obscure 30's English brand called Souplex. It's the best OC I have ever used. Even opened a little B&B club for owners.

Very often they clean up perfectly too.

I bet you got some real diamonds there. Good luck Brother @Beefdrippings!

Last edited:
Thank you @Alum Ladd . I have a Souplex on the way as a matter of fact! Do they take regular DE blades?
There are some wonderful unheralded gems out in the wild. Often they are amazing performers. I found that in a somewhat obscure 30's English brand called Souplex. It's the best OC I have ever used. Even opened a little B&B club for owners.

Very often they clean up perfectly too.

I bet you got some real diamonds there. Good luck Brother @Beefdrippings!

View attachment 1785228

Well Blades are many today, years ago it was few choices, for years Blue Blade were my go too because of price, and availability.

Now as my Beard is mild, thin, and not longer what I use to call though as nails. Have not found many blade that are DUDS for me.

Today the things I constantly better are product that I personally find not difficult to use because my hand are not like they were 40 years ago.

I have lost dexterity, strength, and have some arthritis. This is part of aging process.

Was having this conversation with someone yesterday who was showing off his Torch Lighter, after looking at, and trying to ignite. I said this is fine lighter for young folks, but honestly not for me. It is not Old Folks friendly. To difficulty to use, and make work.

Same with Razor if the handle is not grippy for me, it maybe fine for many people, but not for my old hands. I need grippy, so a Razor does not come loose from hand easy.

Anyone bring any product to marked, I would suggest you get people in wide age range to try, or
Bata Test. Because what works well for young folks, don’t sometime work well for old people.

I don’t regret any shaving purchases I’ve made. I’ve only purchased 1 razor that cost over $75, the Blackland Vector, and it’s easily my best. Mostly I’ve bought vintage razors and never spent more than around $25 on any of them. I love to look at them, handle them and sometimes I even use them - flawless performers all. My only regret is not being able to use everything I’ve acquired frequently enough.

I had two soap purchases this year that were relative duds.

Caties Bubbles Pine Barrens- Middling performance and missing the listed scent notes, other than damp pine tree.

Myrsol Aqua De Limon- Middling performance and no scent at all. The AS was great though. My bad luck I purchased the full sized soap and the sample size AS. I should have done it the other way around...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've made a few missteps but I chalk them up as the cost of learning what I enjoy. The only thing I might regret is buying a few great soaps before I knew I couldn't handle the ingredients used to add fragrance to shaving soaps... but I was able to pass them on to someone who enjoys them.

I did buy too many razors all at once.... again, before I knew what I was doing. I sold them at pretty discounted prices so others got a good deal....and I used the proceeds to fund razors I love... so almost a win/win. <eg>

The good news is that it didn't take me too long before I had established a baseline for DE razors and was able to add a few razors that continue to bring me pleasure when I use them. B&B has been invaluable in that process.

Top Bottom