What's new

Razors, and Shaving stuff you bought but wish you had not. Bad purchases, or bad products?

Switching from Proraso green to Proraso red this winter.

The Sandalwood based fragrance isn't bad, but it doesn't hold a candle to the green. There's also a note of baby powder in there I don't like. I still haven't tried the white or blue, which I'm looking forward to trying, but the red won't be coming back after it's used.

I also regret buying Tabac deodorant a few months ago. Again, not that it's a bad scent, it just lingers too long in deodorant form. I might try some Tabac shaving soap in the future though.

Switching from Proraso green to Proraso red this winter.

The Sandalwood based fragrance isn't bad, but it doesn't hold a candle to the green. There's also a note of baby powder in there I don't like. I still haven't tried the white or blue, which I'm looking forward to trying, but the red won't be coming back after it's used.

I also regret buying Tabac deodorant a few months ago. Again, not that it's a bad scent, it just lingers too long in deodorant form. I might try some Tabac shaving soap in the future though.
I dont like the red either. I do like blue.

There's things I disliked but even the things I disliked I don't regret buying, as that's the only way to try new things. You like some, you don't like others. Most of what I've tried I've liked at some level.

There's one sort of exception to that, which is a razor I had replated once. The razor was free but the replating was kind of expensive to do. I had my reasons for it but I ended up not liking the razor in the long run, and giving it away, so it feels like a poor decision in retrospect.

I probably spent more on wetshaving my first year on B&B, than I would have spent on carts until my end of days. No regrets. It was fun, and a challenge cracking the code of what works for me. I enjoyed it and don't miss the 30+ years of plucking out ingrown hairs left by carts. My wife encouraged my DE shaving. Besides me shaving more frequently, the more money I spent on wetshaving products meant less money available for my other interests that she hated: silent films, Brubeck music, computer games, etc. At my age, I have more wetshaving products than I'll ever live long enough to use, including a box of old stuff in the basement. My son-in-law who is more frugal, also wetshaves. He will have to deal with it all when I'm gone.

1) I bought a cheap DE razor in the mid 1990s. (black handle Gillette) I had no idea what I was doing. Thought about going to the E.R. after shaving.
2) Pawn Stars 'Micro Touch' razor when it first came out. I did throw that one away. I still had no idea what I was doing.
3) Van Der Hagen DE razor. Same results as the first two. (stubbornly stupid, or insane). I gave this one to a 'friend'.
4) Van Der Hagen shave butter. When I want to use a cream with the consistency of chunk style P-nut butter, this is my go to.
I think the about covers it.
Today, things are so much better.

It's never happened.

I choose my purchases carefully, and if necessary ask a few questions beforehand. That goes for hardware and software.

Just curious how you consider whether to purchase the most polarizing products that have both lovers and haters. I'm talking things like Tabac, Arko, and Lilac Vegetal.

Some people absolutely love them, for both objective (performance) and subjective (scent) reasons. Yet, others hate them (mostly for subjective reasons like scent).

Personally, while I loved the performance of tallow Tabac, the scent grew old very quickly. Kind of like when you try a new food and initially like it, but by the end of the meal all you want is some peppermint gum to get rid of taste in your mouth (strongly seasoned Greek kebabs, in my case).

I tried both Tabac and the Veg based on the cult following they have here. Tabac performed great but I quickly grew unable to tolerate the smell. With the Veg, I never even tried it due to the smell. Just awful to my nose, ymmv. Two purchases I wish I hadn't made.

Just curious how you consider whether to purchase the most polarizing products that have both lovers and haters. I'm talking things like Tabac, Arko, and Lilac Vegetal.

Some people absolutely love them, for both objective (performance) and subjective (scent) reasons. Yet, others hate them (mostly for subjective reasons like scent).

Personally, while I loved the performance of tallow Tabac, the scent grew old very quickly. Kind of like when you try a new food and initially like it, but by the end of the meal all you want is some peppermint gum to get rid of taste in your mouth (strongly seasoned Greek kebabs, in my case).

I tried both Tabac and the Veg based on the cult following they have here. Tabac performed great but I quickly grew unable to tolerate the smell. With the Veg, I never even tried it due to the smell. Just awful to my nose, ymmv. Two purchases I wish I hadn't made.
I am indifferent to absurd prejudices or haters of certain products. Tabac is an excellent shave stick. arko! is a superb, well performing and economical tallow soap. I know nothing of lilac vegetal. I am based in the UK.

I tend to ignore groupthink on things. I hike my own hike, as someone said recently on a seperate thread.

I use what works for me.

Simple.

Last edited:
I am indifferent to absurd prejudices or haters of certain products. Tabac is an excellent shave stick. arko! is a superb, well performing and economical tallow soap. I know nothing of lilac vegetal. I am based in the UK.

I tend to ignore groupthink on things. I hike my own hike, as someone said recently on a seperate thread.

I use what works for me.

Simple.

Yes, I would agree that Tabac performs well, but would you agree that the scent can be polarizing? I was curious how you decide whether to try a polarizing product or not just based on reviews here. Personally, I'm not good at all at figuring out if I'll like a polarizing product or not. 🤷‍♂️

As far as Lilac Vegetal goes, avoid it. Unless you like the scent of cat urine. 😉 (I kid, mostly)

I regret last year's purchase of the new Gillette Labs razor complete with clunky travel box, stand, and twelve cartridge blades. I could have gotten two decent DE razors for the money I have spent on that. Now I have eight new Labs cartridges left on a razor I don't use, sitting on stand collecting dust, and a black plastic box which only uses space and isn't really practical for anything. Maybe I'll store DE blades in it.

I also regret purchasing a full tub of Murphy & McNeil Magh Tured shaving soap; I had an immediate skin reaction when the lather touched my skin. Lucky for me, the vendor was kind and accepted a return for a full refund.

I'm much more selective in what I purchase after these episodes. No blind buys.
I sample everything now: blades, soaps, creams, aftershave. I have two razors and two brushes; I don't need more for the time being. I need to learn to use those tools properly first before even considering any additions, although I would like a bigger synthetic brush. It will have to wait until next year.

I'd also like more soaps, but I don't have the space and I do have two full pucks of Mühle soaps waiting to be lathered. I may allow myself one tub of artisan soap and that's it.

I don't regret buying a very expensive silver tip badger brush right at the beginning. When I started, I bought the cheapest Mühle brush I could find, a synthetic black fibre. This is still an amazing brush and I use it regularly. Fortunately, I decided that my next brush would be a badger and I went straight for the silver tip badger. It cost me around $160 and it is worth every single penny.

The B&B community has been and continues to be invaluable to me in providing advice, reviews, and support concerning everything related to DE shaving. I don't even consider buying a product without first consulting the forums here and even then I think for a long time before I hit that order button.

Last edited:
Yes, I would agree that Tabac performs well, but would you agree that the scent can be polarizing? I was curious how you decide whether to try a polarizing product or not just based on reviews here. Personally, I'm not good at all at figuring out if I'll like a polarizing product or not. 🤷‍♂️

As far as Lilac Vegetal goes, avoid it. Unless you like the scent of cat urine. 😉 (I kid, mostly)
I am indifferent to anyones opinions but my own choices.

TBH I don't give a damn if anything is polarising. As I say, I just go with what works for me and is economical and easily available.

Just be you @Wgg2017 and check out products for yourself.

Ignore the herd.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
No regrets with shaving supplies. A handful of serious regrets about some of the cologne samples, but that's the reason to buy samples. Eucris (a popular cologne with most) made me sick to my stomach and I guess I waited to long to try and wash it off. After trying three different soaps I seriously considered taking the belt sander to my wrist.

Sycomore cologne was really lovely - after the first 30 minutes, where it always gave me a headache. I liked it, but not enough to suffer the pain every time.

Amber and Oud are two of my favorite scents, so when a shaving soap came out with those two scents I figured it was made for me. Nope - horrid scent. It's no longer in production, so I won't mention the maker.

I am contemplating buying a Blade Dryer at Shave Meetup Next Month, do I really need, is the $8.99 Question. $8.99 because I want a color.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I admit it... I'm a follower, not an adventurer..... but I only follow the advice of a few people here. Their guidance has helped me avoid what for me would be mistakes. They know who they are, but I get razor advice from a couple people... brush advice from just two people.... blades? I chose a few favorites of the people with whom I have razors in common.... soaps? Well.... I can only use unscented soaps and a small group of us compare notes on them....

I understand @Alum Ladd 's point and agree with it.... We have to find what works for us. Just because someone else loves something doesn't guarantee we will.... and the crowd? They are often wrong. But select, trusted people? I find it safe to take advice from them..

@Alum Ladd... if I even ventured into Vintage razors, you can be sure, I'd be asking you for advice on which razor(s) might work for me. I think your guidance would be invaluable.

Top Bottom