What's new

MERKUR BAKELITE - First Look

Yes I just received the new Merkur 45 Bakelite with case and 10 Merkur Super Stainless coated blades. I didn't have my camera so the picture is from the website where it was bought. However it looks identical. This is my first impression.

First off the razor weighs a mere 14 grams = .5 oz which is what I expected so no surprises. Total length is 3.25" same as the other Merkurs. The head is severely angled down bending the blade severely enough but it looks just like the Progress. Blade exposure maybe equal to 2.0 on the Progress maybe slightly smaller. Hard to tell without measurements. The razor is not 100% bakelite as the screw on the bottom part of the head appears to be brass.

The shave: loaded it with a Kai and did my usual 3 passes. WTG,XTG,ATG and finally WTG. I used Palmolive SC and did everything as usual.

Results: BBS and I am not joking.

A final word this razor would not be good (IMO) for guys with very large hands as the razor appears toy like but its so effective. Because its so light even with the case it would make a good travel companion.

Attachments

• $Merkur_Bakelite.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 4,100
Nice, especially for those of us who travel. May I ask where you procured it and how much it cost?

Thanks in advance.

nice report...my only concern is how light it is, but glad to hear it provided a BBS shave

Very light almost toy like but my first 3 pass shave was outstanding. I will take it when travelling and the beauty part is its a DE. I think the head design comes right from the Progress.

I received mine today as well. I shaved this morning so I have nothing to test it on right now, but it certainly looks great. I dig the case it came in, too. After hearing your results, I'm excited to try it out. Thanks for posting this!

Thanks for the review Jerry. Would you call the blade exposure mild, medium or aggressive based on your experience with Merkur razors?

Thanks for the review Jerry. Would you call the blade exposure mild, medium or aggressive based on your experience with Merkur razors?

The is at least medium aggressive but using the Kai it was very smooth. The head looks like the Progress as they both have that severe blade bend. The razor weighs only 14 grams so weight has nothing to do with end results. Merkur did a good job. Maybe next will be a bakelite slant.

I ordered one this afternoon, hope it gets here before the fourth of July. Seems like every time I order something, a postal holiday is involved.:mad3:

Just had my first Bakelite Merkur shave. Considering it was 2 passes and rushed, I received a great shave! Very smooth with a couple small nicks that closed up with aftershave, using a 5 shave old blade. Can't wait to give it a chance under better circumstances. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I don't know. To each his own I guess. I bought a Gillette 7 0'clock plastic double edge. Didn't realize it was plastic until I got it, but I loved the flip top idea. It shaved great. Absolutely no complaints except it was light. I have never shaved with it again simply because I got away from the feel of plastic disposable razors and just don't want to go there again.

As an old friend of mine used to say, "if everybody liked the same thing, it would be an awfully boring world".

I bought one a day ago, it's in the mail now. I really like the color combo, if it was green and black I would have bought it even sooner. Thanks for highlighting it!

Top Bottom