What's new

MERKUR BAKELITE - First Look

Thanks for the fresh appraisal. I definitely like the light weight prospects because I fly frequently on an airline with pretty draconian baggage weight limits.

Out of 40-odd razors, I only have one Merkur - it's the Bakelite. Need I say more? Wouldn't recommend it for newbies though. A bit on the aggressive side.

All these posts (and other threads) about the Merkur 45C Bakelite/Fakelite and I don't think I've seen even one person mention that they've tried it on their head! Can't even find any on any retailer reviews.

Anyone tried it for head shaving? How did it work out for you?

I'm only 5 weeks into DE shaving (10 head shaves to date on my 39C) and am curious to try other razors to see how they compare. I previously used disposable carts on my head (razors typically acquired through freebie promotions) and although I find Schick Hydro4/5 carts give me the closest "leather-like" scalp with ease, my favourite handle for head-shaving was the cartridge-head section of a Gillette Fusion Proglide Styler:
$ProglideStylerHead.jpg

The reason I mention that here is that, interestingly to me, as you can see I've marked on the above image, the cart-head section of the GFPS is 8cm -- same as the Merkur 45C -- and loaded with 5-blade cart, it weighs in a 0.25oz, while the Merkur 45C is 0.5oz(14g)... comparatively similar, but perhaps not quite so extreme. My 39C Sledgehammer for comparison is a touch under 4oz (112g), I believe.

So I think I'll volunteer as guinea pig, unless someone here already has!

Hey, maybe I'd also like a FAT handle. Like 1" across, like on the GFPS. Where can I find that? :laugh:

Will also be interesting to see how it'll compare to the Fine Accoutrements Superlite Slant Razor (ABS plastic, 82mm/15g) [link] that's coming next month (March sometime). Might have to get that, too!

Last edited:
Top Bottom