What's new

Vintage Aftershave Reviews

They haven't had them at the drugstore in years. They went out of production before that young department store clerk was even born. Once in a while they appear on eBay--but what are they? You look in the reviews, but no luck. What to do?

Your problems have been solved. Thanks to a great suggestion from theperfectstorm, we're going to start reviewing them here. He's down in the lab, cooking up some reviews right now. I'll post one as a kind of B&B amuse bouche.

proxy.php

Name: Bravura Aftershave and Cologne
Family: Leather (AS) and Musk (Cologne)
Manufacturer: Speidel
Years of Availability (approx.): 1967+
Color: Amber
Alcohol: It's there, but it won't set you on fire
Menthol: No
Known Ancillaries:

General Impressions:

Once I dreamed we were together again baby you and me
Back home in those old clubs the way we used to be
We were standin' at the bar it was hard to hear
The band was playin' loud and you were shoutin' somethin' in my ear
You pulled my jacket off and as the drummer counted four
You grabbed my hand and pulled me out on the floor...

It's been a long time since I used Bravura. Maybe thirty years. In fact, it's been so long that I completely forgot about it. Then, one day, I was looking around on eBay for something else and I came across a couple of bottles. The first aftershave and cologne I ever had (not counting a bottle of Hai Karate that some wiseguy put in my Christmas stocking when I was eight). What the heck, I thought, I'll order them. The bottle of aftershave and a smaller bottle of Musk cologne.

The bottle of aftershave came first. Out of the bottle, it smells a lot like Old Spice Leather. Not too strong--smooth and nice. The scent isn't overly persistant and it leaves my face feeling good but not sticky. I had been thinking about picking up another bottle of OS Leather, but this will fit the bill perfectly.

The cologne is a different story. As soon as I took off the cap, it was 1979 again. Definitely musk. Now I gotta say that I don't have a life long interest in musk. In fact, I find some of it downright unappealing--Englsh Leather Musk sits just this side of vile for me. But the musk here is supported with a warm incense-like base. A little goes a long way, but I can see using this every now and then. Maybe on a nice autumn evening when the ghosts are out anyway.

A lot of things have changed since I used to wear this as a kid. The bars I used to go to are all gone. The gyms and VFD halls where they used to have dances are closed. Those bands that sounded so good never quite made it. Hard to say where everybody else went. Nostalgia is not always a warm, happy feeling.

Well I saw you last night down on the avenue
Your face was in the shadows but I knew that it was you
You were standin' in the doorway out of the rain
You didn't answer when I called out your name
You just turned, and then you looked away like just another stranger waitin' to get blown away

...and ya know.

You go setting the damn vintage AS review standard so high, NObody is going to want to follow that.

But it really is a great review. Thanks!

<Nostalgia is not always a warm, happy feeling. >

yeah, I know, You wake up and you're dying, you don't even know what from

Nice review.

The irony being, I feel the same way about Springsteen that you do about Bravura.

These guys don't look warm and happy, even with the haze of nostalgia to peer through.

One of them is probably wearing Bravura, though.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Name: Aqua Velva Frost Lime

Family: Aqua Velva

Manufacturer: Williams

Years of Availability (approx.): mid-1960's - late 60's

Color: Green

Alcohol: Some

Menthol: Yes

Known Ancillaries: None

General Impressions
: One of a trio of special scents released by Aqua Velva in the 1960's, along with Surf and Redwood, to go with their traditional Ice Blue. Unlike the other two, Frost Lime, as the name suggests, is heavy on the menthol, which I mention in part because of the effect it has on the scent. Lime and menthol have a very specific scent when used together in shaving stuff. The combination takes a lot of the sharpness out of the lime, leaving a darker Rose's Lime Juice-type lime with a very deep hint of mint from the menthol. If you have ever tried Mama Bear's Lime Ice shaving soap you know what I am trying to say. Long story short is that this is NOT a bright, obvious Lime, it is a darker, deeper lime.that frankly, has little to do with lime in an overt way. It is on the other hand pretty damn cool. So while they may have exaggerated about the Lime part of the title, they were spot on with the Frost part. Just as cooling as the Ice Blue AV with considerable longevity. Performance is on par with other AV's, i.e. bracing, quickly absorbed, refreshing.

Final Analysis: Pale lime scent makes it a poor Lime experience, but reasonably neutral smell means you can use it with just about any soap/cream and still enjoy the frosty goodness.​

They haven't had them at the drugstore in years. They went out of production before that young department store clerk was even born. Once in a while they appear on eBay--but what are they? You look in the reviews, but no luck. What to do?

Your problems have been solved. Thanks to a great suggestion from theperfectstorm, we're going to start reviewing them here. He's down in the lab, cooking up some reviews right now. I'll post one as a kind of B&B amuse bouche.

proxy.php

Name: Bravura Aftershave and Cologne
Family: Leather (AS) and Musk (Cologne)
Manufacturer: Speidel
Years of Availability (approx.): 1967+
Color: Amber
Alcohol: It's there, but it won't set you on fire
Menthol: No
Known Ancillaries:

General Impressions:

Once I dreamed we were together again baby you and me
Back home in those old clubs the way we used to be
We were standin' at the bar it was hard to hear
The band was playin' loud and you were shoutin' somethin' in my ear
You pulled my jacket off and as the drummer counted four
You grabbed my hand and pulled me out on the floor...

It's been a long time since I used Bravura. Maybe thirty years. In fact, it's been so long that I completely forgot about it. Then, one day, I was looking around on eBay for something else and I came across a couple of bottles. The first aftershave and cologne I ever had (not counting a bottle of Hai Karate that some wiseguy put in my Christmas stocking when I was eight). What the heck, I thought, I'll order them. The bottle of aftershave and a smaller bottle of Musk cologne.

The bottle of aftershave came first. Out of the bottle, it smells a lot like Old Spice Leather. Not too strong--smooth and nice. The scent isn't overly persistant and it leaves my face feeling good but not sticky. I had been thinking about picking up another bottle of OS Leather, but this will fit the bill perfectly.

The cologne is a different story. As soon as I took off the cap, it was 1979 again. Definitely musk. Now I gotta say that I don't have a life long interest in musk. In fact, I find some of it downright unappealing--Englsh Leather Musk sits just this side of vile for me. But the musk here is supported with a warm incense-like base. A little goes a long way, but I can see using this every now and then. Maybe on a nice autumn evening when the ghosts are out anyway.

A lot of things have changed since I used to wear this as a kid. The bars I used to go to are all gone. The gyms and VFD halls where they used to have dances are closed. Those bands that sounded so good never quite made it. Hard to say where everybody else went. Nostalgia is not always a warm, happy feeling.

Well I saw you last night down on the avenue
Your face was in the shadows but I knew that it was you
You were standin' in the doorway out of the rain
You didn't answer when I called out your name
You just turned, and then you looked away like just another stranger waitin' to get blown away

TOO FUNNY!! I have the aftershave bottle, found at a thrift store! Works great for my homemade bay rum!!

proxy.php

Name: English Leather

Family: English Leather

Manufacturer: MEM

Years of Availability (approx.)
: 1960's-70's

Color: Caramel

Alcohol
: Some

Menthol
: No

Known Ancillaries: Cologne, Deodorant, Talc, Soap-on-a-rope, Variant Fragrances

General Impressions
: A sweeter, more honeyed leather than say, a Knize or Creed-type leather. Some will find it too sweet, others will find it sickly sweet. Definitely deeper and more honeyed than the current version. In my mind it seems to belong more to the Spanish Leather style (spices and things used to tan and treat leather), rather than the leather itself. It does seem to lose some of the sweetness on skin, though. Quick, light sting, absorbs very fast. Did not need a balm or moisturizer. Scent lasted 10 or 15 minutes. Often imitated, patrticulary during the late 1960's/early 70's when both Mennen (Skin Bracer Antique Leather) and Aqua Velva (Redwood) produced similar scents. Now part of the Dana family of old, overlooked, abandoned, and never should have been fragrances.

It goes without saying that it also has some of the most iconic packaging of any classic American splash, in the same league as the classic Old Spice "milk-glass" bottle or the festive emerald green Brut bottle with the cool silver gorget. Square, clear glass bottles with barrel-shaped wood tops, and for that extra flourish, leather, or leather-like labels, all housing a light caramel-colored juice.

Final Analysis: I like the older better than the newer, but recognize that it is an acquired taste, even among those that already enjoy leather-based scents.​

proxy.php

Name: Skin Bracer Wild Moss

Family: Skin Bracer

Manufacturer: Mennen

Early-Mid 1970's

Color: Dark Green

Alcohol: No

Menthol

Known Ancillaries: None

General Impressions: I am not able to be particularly unbiased about this one, as it is my absolute favorite of all the vintage AS's I have tried.

Like all the Skin Bracer's Wild Moss works well, absorbs quickly, yadda x 3. Where this one separates from the pack is the fragrance. It is a deep green fragrance, very mossy, if that actually means anything. Again, in common to all Skin Bracer's, it is very powdery, and I think it is this powdery, slightly sweetening effect that keeps the moss from becoming too dry and/or fern like. The result is very rich and lush fragrance, that, superficially at least, comes off as more sophisticated a fragrance than that found in most splashes of the period.

Extra points for excellent style, both in the cool green color of the juice and the always a favorite glass bottles with the dimples.

Final Analysis: Good stuff. Barber shop basics and late 60's sophistication meet to produce a unique and confident fragrance.​

Last edited:

Name: English Leather

Family: English Leather

Manufacturer: MEM

: 1960's-70's

Color: Caramel

Alcohol
: Some

Menthol

Known Ancillaries: Cologne, Deodorant, Talc, Soap-on-a-rope, Variant Fragrances

General Impressions
: A sweeter, more honeyed leather than say, a Knize or Creed-type leather. Some will find it too sweet, others will find it sickly sweet. Definitely deeper and more honeyed than the current version. In my mind it seems to belong more to the Spanish Leather style (spices and things used to tan and treat leather), rather than the leather itself. It does seem to lose some of the sweetness on skin, though. Quick, light sting, absorbs very fast. Did not need a balm or moisturizer. Scent lasted 10 or 15 minutes. Often imitated, patrticulary during the late 1960's/early 70's when both Mennen (Skin Bracer Antique Leather) and Aqua Velva (Redwood) produced similar scents. Now part of the Dana family of old, overlooked, abandoned, and never should have been fragrances.

It goes without saying that it also has some of the most iconic packaging of any classic American splash, in the same league as the classic Old Spice "milk-glass" bottle or the festive emerald green Brut bottle with the cool silver gorget. Square, clear glass bottles with barrel-shaped wood tops, and for that extra flourish, leather, or leather-like labels, all housing a light caramel-colored juice.

Final Analysis: I like the older better than the newer, but recognize that it is an acquired taste, even among those that already enjoy leather-based scents.[/CENTER]

thanks for this review -

I recently acquired some vintage MEM Co. English Leather cologne & AS (in plastic travel bottles - ick) - I immediately compared it to the new Dana stuff. You are right on the money 'storm - the old stuff is much much better than the new. Sweet, nevermind - the new stuff has some metallic bite to it that I don't get from the vintage. And again, you're on the money - the MEM is deeper, honeyed.

Very nice review.

Thanks, Jon. Trying to get the next batch done.

I recently picked up some MEM Villa d'Este - supposedly the Wind Drift predecessor - If I recall correctly, you find Wind Drift... mildly intriguing, I think you said (or was it saucy with a devil-may-care joie de vivre?) - anyway - could you review that one if you still have it?

proxy.php

Name: Yardley Original

Manufacturer: Yardley (UK)

Years of Availability (approx.): 1960's-1970's

Color: Basically Clear

Alcohol
: Maybe a little

Menthol: Nope

Known Ancillaries
: Cologne, Bath Soap, Shaving Soap in Wooden Bowl, Shaving Cream, Hair Tonic, Electric Razor Prep

General Impressions: A modern classic, the 60's version of the classic Yardley Lavender. In the interest of full disclosure I have to admit that I expected this one to be different than the classic Yardley Lavender of the 30's and 40's. More cologne-y, maybe. But this is very, very similar to the classic Yardley Lavender. Having just smelled them side by side the only concession I will make is that the Original may be broadened slightly by a hint of citrus. Otherwise it is the great, broad, herbaceous lavender we have come to expect from Yardley.

Absorbs very quickly with no tightness following. Haven't felt the need for a balm yet, but a touch of Harris Milk goes real nice with the Lavender of the Yardley.

Another old school classic as well known for its packaging as its juice. The triangular bottle and the classic "Y" logo are iconic English-cool from the 60's. Particularly when paired with the sweet metal talc bottle or the wooden bowl for the shaving soap.

Final Analysis
: Yum-O. Solid, clean masculine classic. Works great, looks cool.

Top Bottom