What's new

Torn & Ripped Jeans... what do you think?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Unless you've destroyed them yourself (preferably from a dark, stiff, and raw state) there's something that looks fake about those jeans. I wouldn't put too much stock in "preppy" fads (assuming you mean high school preppy, not the much more stylish preparatory style), they fade away pretty fast.

... that's what I was going to say, too.

And 1/5th the size.

Yes, and we would not be so fat. In Missouri the stats are 60% of people are overweight. I bet back in the day that was not the case. Maybe that is how these jeans originated. : ) I blew out a pair of mine just a few days ago. Maybe I should have held on to them for their style :confused1

Some faded and torn jeans look good. Some of the solid indigo jeans that attempt to look like dress pants are pretty lame.

Must admit, don't think much of the torn jeans look.
I normally throw mine out when they look that bad.
But to echo what others have said, bring back the fashion of the 30's / 40's.
3 piece suits and wingtip shoes :thumbup:

Ok, so I'm sure everyone knows that in the early 1970's, then again for a seccond in the early 1990's torn & ripped jeans were a trend that started with early punk in NYC and london, later recreated by suburban kids with myspace and Lookbook.nu accounts. It was very common to see someone wearing torn & ripped fringed out jeans with a leather jacket and hardcore rock shirt and leather boots 1970's, or with a post hardcore, scremo or emo band shirt and hoodie in the 1990's. Now-a-days I notice young adults wearing torn & ripped jeans with bright striped polo shirts and penny loafers. The torn & ripped (Destressed I think they call it now) jeans sell for top dollar at the type of mall stores that play the "UN TISS un tiss UN TISS un tiss" music. Does it seem strange that this rockin fashion fad from 30 and then 10 years ago has come back again, but now as a Bro fad?
What do you think about this?

FTFY

We saw ripped up jeans on some of the fash pack and runways a few seasons ago picking up on the deconstructed futurist thing that has been coming out of NYC for the last few years. Also recessions allways bring out distressed clothing on the runways and street style, now that its over we will probably see less ripped up clothes, its a trend thats over.

Also malls have nothing to do with fashion.

I think ripped and torn jeans are just fine.

That is, when I'm painting one of the rental units, changing the oil on the motorcycle or tearing out old carpet.

The rest of the time, I prefer unsoiled clothes in good shape.

Not a fan of torn clothing as it provides no real function. Can't keep you warm, the tears can get larger with use, and you tend to look homely (imho of course). Waste of money.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Fashion is circular in both terms of time and location. What is big now in Europe may be huge in the US next year and huge again in Europe in some variation in 10-20 yrs. Doesn't bother me one way or the other.

This is truth. It all comes full circle.
Look at the current trend with hats.
You can hardly step outside now without seeing some 15 year old sporting a tweed skimpy brim.

Lame, unless you wear them with legwarmers . . . .

<cue Flashdance music> She's a maniac, maniac on the floor And she's dancing like she's never danced before </end Flashdance music>

<Grandpa Simpson>

"You see, back in those days, rich men would ride around in zeppelins, dropping coins on people, and one day I seen J. D. Rockefeller flying by. So I run out of the house with a big washtub and... hey! Where are you going?"
"Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah. I used my washtub that morning to clean my turkey, which back then was called a 'walking bird'. We had walking bird on Thanksgiving with cranberry sauce, potatoes, and stuffing full of gun powder. We also sat around and watched football, which back then was called baseball."

What I can't understand is that the ripped, torn, tatty jeans seem to often cost more than the pristine jeans. Yes I know there is extra manpower involved in wrecking the fabric, but even so?

Me? I love my jeans to age gracefully.

actually, they use lasers and acid to "damage" the jeans now,

personaly, i think its a waste and plain stupid to buy a pair of jeans thats been predamaged on purpose, its ok if you want to experiment on a old pair, but brand new ?, blah,

It is not only jeans. In my area they sell hats, shirts and eveyything else already torn to pieces. I had a pair of jeans that were getting a little ragged. They were faded, my pocket knife had worn a hole in the front, snuff can ring and my spurs had torn the hem on the back of the legs. One of the guys from town said "those are great pants. Where did you buy them". I also would like to see some of the fashion from the 20's-40's come back. In those days people dressed with style.

Hmmm. They look alright on my 24 year old workmate, but they just wouldn't work on his 36 year old workmate (me). I think I'll leave the fake rips and tears back in '88-'91...it was fun back then but now just seems a bit...lame.

Top Bottom