What's new

Dressing the Man

In general I agree with most of what he's saying, especially the part about if more people dressed up we would have a better society. I also liked how he pointed out many low cost options. That was very good. But I'll never give up my argyle socks! :biggrin:

Braces are dressy, usually made of silk (similar to a tie), and button into your slacks. Suspenders are not considered dress clothes, and clip onto your pants. Wearing suspenders with a suit is kind of like wearing tennis shoes with a suit.

That's interesting!!

To me, when I wear a suit, the jacket is usually on for the full event. To me (and obviously, YMMV) what you wear to hold up your slacks is kinda like your choice of underwear, or going Commando, nobody knows but you.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I amazed when I look at old pictures. People wore suits to baseball games. :w00t:

I amazed when I look at old pictures. People wore suits to baseball games. :w00t:

Heck, look at old photos of steerage passengers disembarking at Ellis Island. Many of them are dressed better than most folks today! And that's steerage, not first- or second-class.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I can do beach/gym, and I can do wedding/funeral.

I have tremendous trouble with anything in between. :crying:

I can't take fashion advice from a man who would suggest a gentleman wear suspenders. Braces, yes, but suspenders, no. And I think he is a little too opinionated on certain things, such as the break of the pant, which is a very personal decision to me, and the dress shoes. I'm sure he's trying to make a point, but I have some very nice dress shoes, that will last just as long, as Allen Edmonds or Alden, at a quarter of the price. Don't get me wrong, they're fantastic shoes and I'm dreaming of the day when I can afford a pair, but a man should not be led to believe he must have a pair of these shoes to look proper. Oh, and while I don't agree with his overly conservative vew on socks (and everything else, for that matter), I do agree that they should always be darker than your jacket (no jacket, then darker than your slacks), with very few exceptions.

I'll get off of my soapbox now.....

kudos
im dont buy into the stuff...he didnt include a kilt, egads you have to wear something to a formal...

In general I agree with most of what he's saying, especially the part about if more people dressed up we would have a better society. I also liked how he pointed out many low cost options. That was very good. But I'll never give up my argyle socks! :biggrin:

I bought an argyle sweater in Austria while studying abroad and I loved it. Needless to say, when I returned home, all the ladies that I was hoping to impress with my new-found european style just told me that I looked like their grandpa with tight pants! :eek: :a47:

I bought an argyle sweater in Austria while studying abroad and I loved it. Needless to say, when I returned home, all the ladies that I was hoping to impress with my new-found european style just told me that I looked like their grandpa with tight pants! :eek: :a47:

I've found that when it comes to impressing the fairer sex with your appearance, the more impressive I think I look, the less they agree. Maybe I'm just extremely lucky to know a lot of old fashioned girls, but I'm more likely to get a complement if I walk in with my hair messy, some oil stains on my shirt, and sweat on my brow, than dressing up a bit with my hair put together, nice pants and a dress shirt. Or I just don't know how to dress which is entirely possible. :huh:

Tim & Cory, I'm with you with respect to argyle socks and sweaters: the last time I was In England I picked up a dozen pair of wool argyle socks and two Pringle argyle sweaters. I've worn argyle since I was a wee lad and will never stop wearing it. Interestingly, SWMBO likes my argyle socks and sweaters, but then she's a Pom so she knows someting about country style.

Yeah, I maintain that the sweater was awesome. The pants on the other hand...these things were some kind of weird lycra/spandex/polyester/denim hybrid. They were poop brown jeans that stretched like a pair of Fruit of the Looms. Did I also mention that they left nothing to the imagination?

So, Cory, it really wasn't the argyle sweater they had a problem with. Lycra/spandex, brings new meaning to "The Battle of the Bulge". Let's hear it for everything ARGYLE. You should know that my father was an Argyle and Sutherland Highlander - Royal Tank Corps.

OK that's interesting.
Dennis02 isn't teasing us on Elegance. Many books are not enough (by far) to teach elegance, which is an asyntote. Giovanni Agnelli said many years ago that 'cos you cannot have ties made by <famous New York brand> with Italian silks from Como, perfection isn't an option.
Dennis02 tries instead to give a lot of useful tips for people who knows nothing of dressing. On many subjects he's spot on, sometimes he's wrong (what about English or French or Italian tailoring schools and styles?), sometimes really wrong (hmmm socks MUST be of the same exact colour of your TIE and believe me that's basic , and still difficult for most men). When British Spiders became fashionable in the fifties and the sixties, many elegant men travelled to Milan only to find the biggest choices of socks, the athletic movement to enter and exit such streamlined cars exposed the socks dramatically. But basically, his intentions are good, and useful too. Believe me or not, for all the (male) tourists in shorts I met in Venice that look ready for a beach, the best dressed man I ever met was an American on a boat in the Grand Canal in Venice. He was absolutely the image of unattainable perfection and after some 15 years he's still present in my mind. Such is the impact a perfect suit (and tie and fine shirt and gloves and shoes and coat... the coat alone could have probably bought my car) can have on we mortals.

M

modern man

I can do beach/gym, and I can do wedding/funeral.

I have tremendous trouble with anything in between. :crying:

No you dont.

Your married. :rolleyes:

It is not your fault you dress like Bert and/or Ernie.

Giovanni Agnelli said many years ago that 'cos you cannot have ties made by <famous New York brand> with Italian silks from Como, perfection isn't an option.

Esquire Magazine recently listed Agnelli as one of the best-dressed men ever (they also said the jury was still out on whether his grandson, Elkann, looked stylish or silly), and that he perfected sprezzatura, described as the art of appearing not to care about one's appearance, with his off-center tie knot, etc.

Me, I always wanted to be Marcello Mastroianni. :rolleyes:

So, Cory, it really wasn't the argyle sweater they had a problem with. Lycra/spandex, brings new meaning to "The Battle of the Bulge". Let's hear it for everything ARGYLE. You should know that my father was an Argyle and Sutherland Highlander - Royal Tank Corps.

Exactly right! I love arygyle. The pants, though...you should all consider yourselves lucky that I don't have a picture to post.

I post and then go out of town. I thought the article was interesting and I get the point he is making but may not agree with his choices. I am more in the dilemna of being an aging guy who hasn't been in college in too many years but still owns alot of those clothes. What interested me was this line: "A sports coat and trousers are the official uniform of a man who is just going about the business of life." IS that true today?

I work in a job where I could wear jeans and a polo shirt or button down shirt to work everyday. I am not a laborer but at a university in a job where my clothes may get stained if I am not careful. Trying to find advice on clothing when you are a guy is really damn hard. Any show that you see on television that gives this kind of advice is for women. Forums like AskAndyAboutClothes or StyleForum seem mostly about high-high ($$$) end clothes and makers and these guys are in executive positions where you need to wear a suit everyday. What about the guy who needs to wear a suit maybe twice a year?

Dennis

Discuss. Agree, disagree?

http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker38.html

Elevated dressing causes people to behave better. Crime might fall. Manners would begin to come back. People might clean up their language. They might listen to better music and read better books. Something resembling civilization might return.

I didn't get through the whole article yet, but I will say this. I work in a casual-dress office. I've worked in formal-dress offices too. To compare them, I would say that the environment of the "formal" office was more professional than in the casual-dress offices. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I think people feel better about themselves when they're dressed nicely, I know I do. I once asked my boss if he thought there was a difference between casual and formal dress offices, he said he didn't notice. But I think I do. I *like* wearing a tie to work. Sometimes I still do, but to be honest, to be the only guy except for the "top brass" wearing a tie, makes me look like I'm out to impress everyone, when really I'm doing it for myself. I'm not sure what to think, I'm not going to base a job choice on the dress code of the office, but I do prefer the atmosphere of the formal dress environment. Maybe it's silly, but it really does give a slight boost to my self-esteem to come to work in a tie and nicely pressed pants/shirt and jacket.

Any opinions on this? I think casual should be saved for Fridays.

-Mason

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
He forgot the white socks!
:biggrin:
Maybe because this is how he shaves. I wouldn't want to either.
shaving cream's a racket, clothes is a racket, ... I wonder what his take on tennis is??
It's the belt that twists her knickers. Every time we go shopping she wants me to buy a brown belt.

As a joke one time I went to the Goodwill, bought a white belt, plaid slacks and a striped (horizontal) shirt. OMG you should have seen her face when I came out "ready for work".
Oh man, that's priceless.
Glad to see you got some flair goin' on TimmyB! :biggrin:
Exactly right! I love arygyle. The pants, though...you should all consider yourselves lucky that I don't have a picture to post.

That would be a custom-title-alteringly bad idea!! :w00t:

The general idea that we should dress better, yeah, I'm down with that. I found his article to be basiaclly an 'idiot's guide' to stocking a closet with a few simple items that will get you by, generally speaking, with out fear of mix & match problems. Something for the guy who doesn't really like thinking about clothes, and wants a simple thought-free solution. (I think of the sci-fi movies from a few decades back, where everyone wore the same basic jumpsuit, and there was a colour stripe or badge or something if you were "special". If everyone took his advice, we'd look kind of like that ... )

Once you actually understand clothes and style, you can get past this minimalism, and buy some argyle socks, a covert coat, a spiffy sweater ...

... and hopefuly not "those pants" :ohmy:

Top Bottom