What's new

Dressing the Man

Esquire Magazine recently listed Agnelli as one of the best-dressed men ever (they also said the jury was still out on whether his grandson, Elkann, looked stylish or silly), and that he perfected sprezzatura, described as the art of appearing not to care about one's appearance, with his off-center tie knot, etc.

yess, he perfected many strange habits, like wearing the watch over the sleeve, that could have busted anyone else.

Me, I always wanted to be Marcello Mastroianni. :rolleyes:

a fine choice, a great actor.

(...) I work in a casual-dress office. I've worked in formal-dress offices too. To compare them, I would say that the environment of the "formal" office was more professional than in the casual-dress offices. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I think people feel better about themselves when they're dressed nicely, I know I do. I once asked my boss if he thought there was a difference between casual and formal dress offices, he said he didn't notice. But I think I do. I *like* wearing a tie to work. Sometimes I still do, but to be honest, to be the only guy except for the "top brass" wearing a tie, makes me look like I'm out to impress everyone, when really I'm doing it for myself. I'm not sure what to think, I'm not going to base a job choice on the dress code of the office, but I do prefer the atmosphere of the formal dress environment. Maybe it's silly, but it really does give a slight boost to my self-esteem to come to work in a tie and nicely pressed pants/shirt and jacket.

Any opinions on this? I think casual should be saved for Fridays.

-Mason

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm the only person who wears slacks (or a jacket, or a suit...) to the office. I'm also the youngest manager-type by a 10-year margin, so I can't afford to be taken for granted or left behind. I stand out, and I'm fine with that, because when things have got to happen, they go to the gent in the french cuffs.

I amazed when I look at old pictures. People wore suits to baseball games. :w00t:

I'd almost like for that to come back. If for no other reason to get the people who go out looking like they just rolled out of bed(or a trash can)to put forth a little more effort.

I just bought a tux online today. I sure hope it fits. The company called me back and told me that They don't have a shirt to fit my body type. I have a big neck 19 1/2 and the 20'' shirt I tried to order would be a 4XL. That's two more than I need. Any suggestions on where to buy a shirt?

==Tom

Top Bottom