What's new

Basic Men's Wardrobe What would you add?

The recent post on what to wear got me thinking about young and old guys building a basic wardrobe. What would you add?

Men's Basic Wardrobe:
Navy Blazer- try to avoid the real shiny brass buttons
Grey Slacks
Khaki Chinos
Dk Blue Suit/ sometimes the suit jacket can substitute for Navy Blazer in a pinch
Good Quality Blue Jeans
Dk Brwn Shoes most versatile shoe in the world is good quality Cordovan color Penny Loafer
Dk Brwn Belt
Dk Red or Blue Neck tie
White Shirt button down for daytime
White Shirt Plain Collar for nighttime
Merino Wool V-neck grey, black or burgundy
Black Picque Polo Shirt
Nice Plain no bacon collar White T-shirts

Fedora hat Grey or Brown

-a black suit. any man who does not own the a black suit is ill-prepared for life. doesn't have to be a matched set, or come from the same dye batch or the same bolt of fabric, or any of the other anal stuff you hear about, just as long as you can pair up a black jacket, black pants, black leather belt, black tie, a white shirt, and black shoes at a moment's notice.

Ties:
-Black
-brown
-patterned(subtly)
-fancy(but not garish or flashy)
-should all be of silk, longer than you think they need to be.

-at least one good fedora. no need to go custom, just need to be of a versatile color and style. read this page.

-black shoes. if you need to wear your black suit you'll need matching shoes.

-black leather belt. see "black shoes."

see that at least one of your white shirts has collar stays or slots for them. with a jacket and tie it just looks better if your shirt collar is neat and straight, and stays make it much easier.

-plain-faced wristwatch with a shiny black leather band.

-handkerchief. white is the most versatile. a white bandanna works just as well.

Last edited:
-handkerchief. white is the most versatile. a white bandanna works just as well.

Ah yes, a handkerchief. Great addition and something I always have on me. A gentleman should have one on his persons at all times. Perhaps two, one for him and a clean one for a lady in need.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd say NBA jersey, size XL tall.
Yankees cap, size 14 with the sticker still on it
Phat Farm jean shorts that touch the shoe
Air force one nikes
assorted jewelry from mall kiosk

Word, hommie!

Year Round Wear:

Couple of pairs of Levi 511 of assorted washes. Including black and red
Various shirts. Graphic tees usually from Threadless. A few white v's from Old Navy.
A pair of Converse (classic low tops and black high tops), a pair of white Pumas.
Black track jacket for chilly nights.
Black sweater for the same reason but if I want to look dressier.
A white button up, a black button up that I wear with a skinny black tie, the black Cons, and black 511s.

Winter:
Pea Coat
Scarves
Leather Gloves

Summer:
Manpris
Flip flops
Aviators

Top Bottom