What's new

My New 1930 Gillette New!

I posted this in the 'Score' section, and I hope it is ok to post here as well. If not, I sincerely apologize and Mods please do what you must. This newb just wants to share his excitement! :w00t:

I got this beautiful razor from from the super all-around nice guy Rudy Vey! Thanks, Rudy!

Still being a total newb, I really don't know anything about it other than it is a 1930 Gillette New (Bostonian?), older than me and it looks cool. This is the first razor I have purchased as a 'collectible', at least collectible to me, anyway. I saw it and asked Rudy a little bit about it and before I knew it I pulled the trigger. It arrived today!

I haven't taken many pics of shaving stuff, and these are my first of a razor, so I apologize for going a little nuts with the camera. I hope you enjoy them!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Beautiful. I own two of those, one is being replated by buddydog, and the other was given to me by a co-worker that found it at his mothers house. The shaves with those are as good as they get.

Man, that is a very pretty setup. But it brings up a question I have had in my mind, do you actually use a vintage that is in (apparently) that nice of condition or do you just collect it? I was bidding on a Fat Boy on ebuy, but it came in it's original plastic box and I felt it was more collectable then a user so I let it go. (it went finally for ~$65).

-jim

Man, that is a very pretty setup. But it brings up a question I have had in my mind, do you actually use a vintage that is in (apparently) that nice of condition or do you just collect it? I was bidding on a Fat Boy on ebuy, but it came in it's original plastic box and I felt it was more collectable then a user so I let it go. (it went finally for ~$65).

-jim

Jim, I have that same question myself! Part of me wants to try it just because.. well.. how cool would it be to shave with a darn nice looking razor that's vintage like that?!

Then my other part goes... nooooo... don't do it! It's too purty! Just 'collect' it!

For all I know, it may have already been used and very well taken care of. Then again, as Rudy said, "The razor looks like it was never used". I totally agree with him.

So does it really make a difference as a collectible if I shave with it or not? After all, they were made to be used. I want to, I don't want to, I want...

For all I know, it may have already been used and very well taken care of. Then again, as Rudy said, "The razor looks like it was never used". I totally agree with him.

If it actually was never used - and wow wouldn't that be something - it may be a cardinal sin to use it. Think about the difference in value from rare uncirculated coins to circulated ones.

I hope some more experienced collectors chime. I would love to hear what a serious collector thinks.

-jim

Jim, I have that same question myself! Part of me wants to try it just because.. well.. how cool would it be to shave with a darn nice looking razor that's vintage like that?!

Then my other part goes... nooooo... don't do it! It's too purty! Just 'collect' it!

So does it really make a difference as a collectible if I shave with it or not? After all, they were made to be used. I want to, I don't want to, I want...

Or do as I do as the NEWs are fairly easy to come by: keep your collectible grade nice and pristine in your collection and purchase a lower grade NEW for shaving. They're too fine a shaver to not experience. Beautiful razor and thanks for sharing! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom