What's new

KAI Blade

I got a new old Gillette Tech revamp from Razor Emporium and have been using it every day. I find most blades work in it; expensive, cheap, good, bad, sharp, dull.

Well, I haven't actually tried all that many, and I'm a beginner, so don't attach too much weight to my statements.

I even get a great shave with Silver Stars (super cheap), although I haven't worked out their rate of decline yet—first shave is very good, second shaves seem not as good, although I don't really have enough data yet. I have plenty of time for that, though, because I bought 100 of them! A hundred only costs $7.99.

Anyway I have a lot of blades lying around with just one shave on them, and today I tried a Kai in the Tech. Second shave for the blade. It's the first blade I've tried in the Tech that really seems different from all the rest. Mainly, blade feel. It was easier to feel the correct angle. They say the Kai is slightly wider than most blades and that seemed true.

I have a little bump on my jawline that I shave very carefully in one direction, which usually works. Most blades don't draw blood when I do that. The Kai did, just a little spot. The alum block stopped it.

But the main thing--man, what a great shave. Very, very close. I only did two passes plus touch-up, and the blade didn't feel "dangerous" like it was going to cut me; it felt very smooth as I shaved, and I was confident in it. But it just did a better job than anything else I've yet tried in the Tech.

Not sure how I feel about settling on an expensive blade. I just don't "need" that good a shave--I've found that a one-pass shave that doesn't feel BBS to the touch is actually fine for me--I look fine, and it lasts till evening. I think I'm good with a "GES"--"good enough shave." I'm fine using Astras, and they're almost as cheap as Silver Stars. But I'm a little wary of all this talk about P&G moving DE blade production away from St. Petersburg. Seems like most of the familiar blades might be changing sometime soon, negating any testing-and-choosing I might do now. That's why I was looking into Silver Star (Egypt) and Kai (Japan).

--MtB

P.S. Five hours after shaving and my face still feels unusually smooth. Man!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I got a new old Gillette Tech revamp from Razor Emporium and have been using it every day. I find most blades work in it; expensive, cheap, good, bad, sharp, dull.

Well, I haven't actually tried all that many, and I'm a beginner, so don't attach too much weight to my statements.

I even get a great shave with Silver Stars (super cheap), although I haven't worked out their rate of decline yet—first shave is very good, second shaves seem not as good, although I don't really have enough data yet. I have plenty of time for that, though, because I bought 100 of them! A hundred only costs $7.99.

Anyway I have a lot of blades lying around with just one shave on them, and today I tried a Kai in the Tech. Second shave for the blade. It's the first blade I've tried in the Tech that really seems different from all the rest. Mainly, blade feel. It was easier to feel the correct angle. They say the Kai is slightly wider than most blades and that seemed true.

I have a little bump on my jawline that I shave very carefully in one direction, which usually works. Most blades don't draw blood when I do that. The Kai did, just a little spot. The alum block stopped it.

But the main thing--man, what a great shave. Very, very close. I only did two passes plus touch-up, and the blade didn't feel "dangerous" like it was going to cut me; it felt very smooth as I shaved, and I was confident in it. But it just did a better job than anything else I've yet tried in the Tech.

Not sure how I feel about settling on an expensive blade. I just don't "need" that good a shave--I've found that a one-pass shave that doesn't feel BBS to the touch is actually fine for me--I look fine, and it lasts till evening. I think I'm good with a "GES"--"good enough shave." I'm fine using Astras, and they're almost as cheap as Silver Stars. But I'm a little wary of all this talk about P&G moving DE blade production away from St. Petersburg. Seems like most of the familiar blades might be changing sometime soon, negating any testing-and-choosing I might do now. That's why I was looking into Silver Star (Egypt) and Kai (Japan).

--MtB

Lots of folks do not know it is a wider blade and I have been showing folks it is and a few others have also, I post this information for newbies and seasoned shavers who want a boost in razor performance and I will always have a few tucks around.
I have over 100 shaves using the Kai SS with 10 uses per blade(I toss at 10 even if the blade is still performing well), they are a pricier blade than other's but they work well and last a long time.

It is a little wider blade than other standard Gillette blades, not sure why Kai did this many years ago but you will have a little more blade feel. The blade is sharp and smooth with excellent longevity I have found.
The Kai SS is a excellent blade for mild razors that needs a little boost in blade feel(nothing to worry about being over aggressive). It is the only blade that is like this I found in current production world wide, the earlier Sputniks where just as wide but now the Newer Sputniks are back to Gillette standard dimensions for DE blades. It is far superior to use a Kai blade than shimming IMO.
(Old archived photo I took when doing some blade comparisons months ago.)

Kai SS VS Gillette Astra SP 2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

If you are wanting to settle on a single blade, Kai is a good choice. They are consistent and always sharp for me and as Ron stated, have a long use life and that will offset the buy price.

I have far too many razors and use Kai blades in the mild ones. One example is the Feather AS-D2, smooth mild shaver but with a Kai it becomes very efficient and still smooth. On the other end I have a Blackbird Ti I tried a Kai blade in and that combo stepped into the FAFO category. Didn't draw blood but I found myself slowing down and paying attention.

I like Feather, Nacet, Personna Lab Blue and Kai as my go-to's (in no specific order). I have a huge variety of blades but these are the ones that I have known outcomes with. Astra SP are also solid but the last packs I got in are made in India. Haven't tried them yet but I now put them in the unknown category till I sample them. Who knows, they might shave better than the Russian ones I have.

One day I do hope to settle on a single razor and blade combo but for now I'm too "Oh, Squirrel!!".

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Your Tech seems to be serving you well. I get a little lost when folks start writing about "expensive" blades. I suppose it comes down to the cost per shave. I like Feather blades, Kai's are my second choice.

My shaves come in at .09 a shave. I don't shave every day, but average about 5 shaves a week. I have enough soaps & creams to last a decade or more and I have enough razors & brushes in rotation to make me more than content. So I'm coming in at .45 a week ($23.40 annually). That seems a reasonable expenditure to me. YMMV

So I'm coming in at .45 a week ($23.40 annually). That seems a reasonable expenditure to me.
What got me into wet shaving is that I was looking at a packet of Gillette's best 5-blade cartridges and the cost was $44. Not including canned foam. My "cheap gene" rebelled. That was for 8 carts, which would generally last me about 8 months shaving every other day and interspersing several days a month using the electric razor.

Now I'm enjoying shaving every day, look much better more of the time, and not suffering any skin discomfort or irritation, which was previously a big problem. So yes, >$24/yr. would be a big improvement, especially if I look at benefits as well as cost.

Ron R. says he gets 10 shaves per blade. If I could manage seven (one new blade per week), I could shave every day and 100 blades would last me about two years. That's ~$15/yr. for blades at the current cost of the blades on Amazon.

So I just need to figure out if I can get a week of morning shaves out of one Kai blade, or, if I can't, how many shaves I can get.

—MtB

I get 15 shaves per Kai. At least 12 of those are closer and more comfortable than every other blade I have tried. Astras and Wilkinson’s I would toss at 5. Nothing else I have tried got past 10.

Kai is my main blade. It excels in techs, Gamechanger razors, and more. I also use Kai in more efficient razors like the blackbird.
I agree with all said in praise of Kai. The one thing that seems interesting for me is how much sharper and smoother the blade is after first use. I have not corked that blade but maybe it could help on first use. Second - x uses is fantastic.

UPDATE: Third shave was as good as the second. I am going to try to exercise some self-discipline and experiment with this blade, and keep using it to see how long it lasts.

It annoyed the bumple on my jawline again, but that might have been because the skin had already been broken the day prior.

—MtB

--MtB

The Kai is one of the wildest blades available but it is also in the bottom group for sharpness. It is most definitely overrated and overpriced. I tried it against my Feather.

Nothing wrong with enjoying a bottom tier blade. My issue with them is their erroneous reputation which is propagated by many. Just because it is expensive and made in Japan does not make it sharper than what it is.
The Feather also made in Japan is in fact the sharpest DE blade available to us and also more expensive than the average blade. I single use Feathers, for a weekly face and head shave. If there were a sharper blade out there I would use it.

The Kai is one of the wildest blades available but it is also in the bottom group for sharpness.
I disagree. I imagine you're going by the refinedshave chart, but they're just testing one blade. It's not very definitive. I've only used a dozen blade brands (and only one Kai! Ha!), but I can already tell that the Kai is very far from unsharp. In my judgement, anyway.

Data is better than anecdotal evidence, but when you have only one data point and lots of anecdotal evidence that contradicts it, time to look into things a little more closely. Try a few more; I think you might modify your opinion.

—MtB

Last edited:
Did you try any of the Personna Lab Blue blades made in Virginia, USA? Those are very smooth and work well in Techs. I like KAI blades, but didn't think they were really worth the asking price. 100 Lab Blues costs around $15 or so. I can get 6-8 shaves from each.

Did you try any of the Personna Lab Blue blades made in Virginia, USA?
I did, but unfortunately very early in my journey. Then I sent them to a friend. I should have kept a few around...I imagine nothing I say will have any value until about a year from now! Maybe two.

—MtB

P.S. I'm a journalist and used to contacting sources, and I contacted Kai in Japan today. I'll pass along any information they give me that I'm allowed to.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The Kai is one of the wildest blades available but it is also in the bottom group for sharpness. It is most definitely overrated and overpriced. I tried it against my Feather.

Nothing wrong with enjoying a bottom tier blade. My issue with them is their erroneous reputation which is propagated by many. Just because it is expensive and made in Japan does not make it sharper than what it is.
The Feather also made in Japan is in fact the sharpest DE blade available to us and also more expensive than the average blade. I single use Feathers, for a weekly face and head shave. If there were a sharper blade out there I would use it.
I remember the fellow who did the testing with his neat set up with kown weight pressure before test line breaks from blades he was testing from and is recorded, but I look at it differently then he did. If a DE Blade like the Kia SS lasts me 10 shaves repeatably from excellent to great shaves and other blades generally about 6 excellent to great shaves and tossed it indicates that the grind or heat treatment of the blade or steel used is better than the other brands. A DE Feather at 6 shaves is tuggy because the cutting edge has been blunted or fractured, with me the Astra SP can get 7 great shaves.
It's the edge that Feather puts on their blades and the steel they use is not designed for longevity IMO, I use the Feather FHS10 in my Oneblade razor and it is one of the nicest shaves on only the first shave and #2 use it drops off quickly and becomes scrap and is Binned.
So if I get 10 good shaves from the DE Kia SS blade & then tossed it has to be sharp regardless of a mechanical test indicates, the mechanical test is only telling a person the edge is finite or ground and stropped to a higher angle but is weaker overall for longevity. The tester also head shaves with his test blades to confirm his testing and that is good + he figures 1 head shave is equivalent of 2 regular face shaves and that is fair for total of 4 facial shaves is what I recall.
So the DE Kia SS blade for longevity and smoothness it is a superior blade to others brands but does not grind and strop blade edge for the finite weaker edge like Feather might. Another point of interest that tester might of not know was the Kai SS blade is wider than the other blades he tested with his test razor he used would of felt it more aggressive possibly!

Hi Ron R,
My suspicion too is that Kai uses significantly better steel than other makers and that that's probably the big difference. Just based on what I've read; I don't have any direct evidence of it.

All this stuff is very interesting, but we are rather stumbling around in the dark with regard to our questions. But if people are really getting 10 or even more good shaves out of a Kai blade and 1-4 shaves out of other good blades, that does seem to point to some sort of different philosophy at work in design and manufacture.

One thing that strikes me is how much longer my Kai shaves last. I have no explanation for it. Right now I'm at about 13 hours with this morning's shave, and my face feels more like it usually does at 5-6 hours. Could this just be a variation in beard growth? I'm thinking of skipping tomorrow's shave.

MtB

One thing that strikes me is how much longer my Kai shaves last. I have no explanation for it. Right now I'm at about 13 hours with this morning's shave, and my face feels more like it usually does at 5-6 hours. Could this just be a variation in beard growth? I'm thinking of skipping tomorrow's shave.

Rate of beard growth is usually pretty consistent. Most likely cause is your shave was closer, or you missed fewer spots.

I tried a Kai blade out a few years ago and had a bad shave. Now that I have more practice I’m going to have to try one again.

Top Bottom