What's new

New Standard Gillette 1917

Okay this is getting silly now. Just found ANOTHER razor in ANOTHER charity shop. Pat: 133963 - 1917. So it looks like I have got the date of manufacture covered. Strangely enough it has an entirely different number on the plate that the blade rests on but they're just too small to make out. I have no idea what these numbers represent, or wether knowing them would help me learn anymore about this particular model. All i know is that it's made in England (case made in USA). I'm going to stick this on Ebay at some point in the near future, just wondered whether I should clean it up first, and if so how?

numbers on the plated are the serial number - in the B&B wiki there is a chart that will help you date the razor.

It appears there is a blade in there - you should get that out of there to prevent an accident!

Clean up everything including the case. Then if you're going to sell it take good pictures. You'll be surprised at how a few extra minutes can mean a lot in the selling price.

Also be forewarned. The New Improved razors are a bit aggressive. Also this model wasn't made until 1921.

Len

Be very careful about the cleanup. These are gold plated. The plating is very very thin. A very little bit of polishing results in no gold left.

this model wasn't made until 1921.

This is true. Your razor should have serial number on the guard which ends with the letter Y. The 1917 stamped on the handle indicates a British patent date. Your razor was made in England which makes is quite rare I think - so nice find!

Probably my favorite razor. Coincidentally I shaved with this one this morning. Amazing.

Ah - I wondered who that was, lurking in my bathroom. Seriously though, if it is gold plated I'd really need to confirm that before I advertised the fact. Is there anyway of verifying this? I've added another pic, and you can certainly make out a Y at the end. I only got this yesterday and I like a couple of days growth before I try out a "new" razor. If I find it comfortable, I may be tempted to hang on to it. Thanks for all the info guys. Very helpful.

Clean up everything including the case. Then if you're going to sell it take good pictures. You'll be surprised at how a few extra minutes can mean a lot in the selling price.

Also be forewarned. The New Improved razors are a bit aggressive. Also this model wasn't made until 1921.

Len

Yes, good pics are key to getting good bids. I picked up a couple of goodies for cheap because the seller had blurry pics and other people didn't feel like bidding on something they cant clearly see. It was a gamble on my part though, but paid off in the end. :thumbup:

Top Bottom