What's new

Canes?

Actually, they are up to $20. :smile: But all of them I found were too short. :frown:

I need to find a farmstore that carries a full shepherds crook and cut that down. I will put a heavy metal ferrule on the bottom just for good measure.

I like that coldsteel citystick (that big metal handle hits like a sledge hammer!) but it looks a little too dapper for me.

The head of the cane can be replaced, they have several styles.
The skull one is fairly less than dapper.:tongue_sm
Could also have a custom turned one too, Desert Ironwood, or Lignum Vitae would provide nearly the same "THUNK" as the stainless.:biggrin:

Skull head? I don't think so...

Custom turned, hmmm. Another question to ask brazos when I get a chance...

Actually, they are up to $20. :smile: But all of them I found were too short. :frown:

I need to find a farmstore that carries a full shepherds crook and cut that down. I will put a heavy metal ferrule on the bottom just for good measure.

I like that coldsteel citystick (that big metal handle hits like a sledge hammer!) but it looks a little too dapper for me.

You must be tall since the standard length is 38 inchs.

You must be tall since the standard length is 38 inchs.

38" would be right, but all I have found must be 35" or so. Even farmstores are full of cheap imported stuff these days. One good farmstore to check on the way home from work, and one good pharmacy when I get the chance (it is out of the way).

I just measured mine. The newest measures just over 38", while my Grandfather's measures just under 39". That is from the tip to the top of the arch of the crook. Both feel very comfortable. 35" I think might be a tad short, but I would have to walk with it to see if it was uncomortably so.

It seems the handle crooks have gotten smaller, too. I guess they are saving a few cents each by using shorter blanks.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The other nice thing about a cane that can be used for self defense, is that you can travel with it on an airplane. They'll make you put it on the x-ray but after that you are good to go.

You can really ruin someone's day with one of those. I had a kick boxing instructor who said he'd rather one of those for up close and personal confrontations than a hand gun. After seeing him action, I believe him. Of course he had four black belts in different disciplines.

I hope so, I have one on the way. Been wanting one for years now.

The other nice thing about a cane that can be used for self defense, is that you can travel with it on an airplane. They'll make you put it on the x-ray but after that you are good to go.

I've seen video footage of a guy with MS being denied his walking stick when trying to get on a plane in Australia.

I've seen video footage of a guy with MS being denied his walking stick when trying to get on a plane in Australia.

It has happened :mad:

Sometimes there is a reason (like having a hardened ice spike on the bottom of your cane), sometimes it is idiocy of rules and rule enforcers.

Yes,
I have two of those shillelaghs from Lollysmith.

I recommend getting one at least 1 inch diameter.

Diameters and lengths vary greatly...so you have to keep an eye on the website to get a suitable stick.

And you can of course use them to fend off coyotes and other creatures.

http://www.geocities.com/GlenDoyle/bata/

Cheers,
Ken

S

SamJohnson2010

Old age and injuries are conspiring against me.

Anyone have an online source for GOOD solid canes? Real bent wood, not these hollow aluminum cr@p or softwood canes with cut handles. And they need to be available in longer sizes, as most are about an inch too short. I can cut it shorter if needed, but can't stretch one...

I was looking for a wooden cane, too and came across a new design that I really like. It's called the StrongArm Forearm Cane.

It is probably the most secure cane I have owned. T cradle design shifts the weight from the wrist to the forearm so it feels like a solid extension of my arm. I didn't think that I would like it but once I tried it, was perfect and gave me soooooo much more added stability.

I ordered mine on line at www.strongarmmobility.com. I also did not want to risk a second injury from another fall so this is definately the cane to get. Crutch support from a cane. Who would have thought! They have one called the stout which would be the one you are looking for. Look at it and see what you think.

Did you find a good stock cane yet. Sledge hammer and Post Maul handles are Hickory and are 36 inchs long You just need to reshape the heads to fit your hand. I put a claw hammer head on my Sledge hammer handle and made an interesting coversion piece. :thumbup:

i have a http://www.gastrock.de/ for hiking. interchangeable ends for snow or rock.

very well made, very classy looking, hard to find though. mine was purchased NEW thru a used site (not ebay) for $20, very similar to this one:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/gastrock-hiking-staff-95099.aspx

proxy.php

I went to the local farm supply and picked up a couple of rake handles, and made a couple of hiking staffs. They could easily be cut off to make more of a cane length, but no bent handle.

I just picked up one from http://www.fashionablecanes.com/ a heavy duty model in Zebrano wood the difference between it and canes you find in most drug stores is like night and day, sort of like the difference between a disposable razor and a custom razor yes both will get the job done but one is much heavier duty and looks and feels a whole lot better.

They also have walking sticks with swords or flask in them as well as decorative and collapsible canes with weight ratings of 180 for some, 250 for most and 400-500 for heavy duty models.

Top Bottom