What's new

Zulu Grey

mine arrived last night too. interesting coloration. i expected a single color like an escher, but it's got shades of gray

I'm colorblind, but mine looks pretty much gray :)

I'm sure you've got quite a head start on me in honing experience-wise, i'm curious to hear how you find it. I hope I can find the time to give it another try tonight :)

I did 2 razors on the Zulu Grey tonight. One was a razor I finished last weekend on 0.3um film +paper. It was passing HHT3-4 root in/out. I'm sure it'll shave great (would have even without the zulu), I'm looking forward to seeing what feel I get from it. The other was a razor I honed quite a while ago on the Naniwa 8k. It was also passing HHT3-4, but maybe not as easily as the Alpin razor.

I hope that last one will shave as nice as the one finished on film, the test shave will tell (tomorrow or the day after).

I did both of these on water only, for about 100 laps.

Good luck I hope you like them. On your next razors try 50 laps instead of 100 and see what you get. You'll find the sweet spot after a few different tries.

Curious if anyone has tried to set a bevel with the ZG.

No, but I think even with slurry it would take forever. My 2 Zulus are not even fast as finishers, let alone trying to do midrange work with them...I can't imagine trying to set a bevel with one. But hey, if you got the time then give it a shot!!

Thanks... No, I am trying to stream-line things.. I have a Norton 4/8 and Black Ark and am considering either a coticule in hopes of an 'all-in-one' solution or the ZG to compliment the 4/8.

Or both...

Thanks... No, I am trying to stream-line things.. I have a Norton 4/8 and Black Ark and am considering either a coticule in hopes of an 'all-in-one' solution or the ZG to compliment the 4/8.

Or both...

gotcha....Cool! Yeah I think a Zulu after the Norton 8k would work well. I have been using my Zulu(s) after coticule and the finish it imparts compliments the coticule edge nicely without overpowering it, if that makes any sense at all....Basically the Zulu adds a level off keeness to the edge without sacrificing the coticule smoothness. I really enjoy the edges I've been getting from the Zulu Grey....

Or both...

~~~okay, a couple of things....

good plan going with coticule...I started out and have stayed with cotis and I just love them edges, but the one stone in front of the coti that is very needed....a Chosera 1 K, as seen here with a few coticules-

proxy.php

mines mounted on the bench you see. If you can, try and buy just the stone, so you can hone warped edges along the side, but why use a 1K in front of the coticule?...because it works better, and you get to virgin steel faster with the 1 K Chosera than just a coticule. took me a long time to figure that one out...just thought you should know....

Secondly, as much as you'll love on a coticule finish...sure is nice to have one of those east German finishers just to change it up

proxy.php

others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

~~~okay, a couple of things....

good plan going with coticule...I started out and have stayed with cotis and I just love them edges, but the one stone in front of the coti that is very needed....a Chosera 1 K, as seen here with a few coticules-

Thanks Jack..

I have a King 1K for bevel setting, the Norton 4/8 & and a Hard Black Ark. But I think I am going to ditch the Norton in favor of, what I perceive as simplicity of the Coti.

Thanks Jack..

I have a King 1K for bevel setting, the Norton 4/8 & and a Hard Black Ark. But I think I am going to ditch the Norton in favor of, what I perceive as simplicity of the Coti.

Coticules are nice, due to the fact that you can take a razor from bevel set to final finish with just the one stone. Just bear in mind that there is a slight learning curve associated with coticules. I too started out on a Norton 4/8 before moving onto coticules, and I noticed that I was able to learn the Norton a lot faster than it took me to learn coticules. I only had the Norton for about a month before selling it to get a coticule. It then subsequently took me several months to learn the coticule....

Learning coticules is a fun process, though. Each coticule is like a little "puzzle" that you have to figure out. It's a very rewarding process though, as the edges you get from a proper coticule edge are superb....So I say go for it! You'll have a lot of fun learning the "way of the coticule"!! :thumbup1:

I find the Norton progression to mathematical.. where the Coti seems simpler. Dilucot is pretty simple (though I understand the results vary). It just seems more intuitive. I have the Norton a few months and frankly, I don't enjoy it. Plus, from most of what I read, I still need a 10k to bridge to the Zulu Grey given how hard the ZG is. The Coti might be a step backwards in learning curve, but ultimately two steps forward and bridges the progression to the ZG more tightly. 1k, Coti, ZB... done.

How do you guys use this stone. I started using it with oil which gave me pretty good results for finishing razors. Then I began to use it on plain water and with soapy water. That gave me sharp but smooth edges to. Lately I began using it with slurry. The slurry stone that came with the hone is virtually unusable so I followed Michaels advice and took a DMT card. Raising slurry with this is pretty easy but my results were variable. Last Saturday I touched up a Filly on milky slurry and that seemed to further blunt the edge. The test shave was a tugging mess leaving lots of stubble. I read on the other forum that some made that same experience. It seems that thin, "cloudy water" slurry does the trick. I have yet to verify this. Question is: can you go back to plain water with the stone scratched by a DMT card? How will that affect honing. Michael advises to lap the stone with 1500K sandpaper but others stated than scratching the surface of the stone actually improved it's honing abilities. Does anyone have experiences to share?

I would hazard a guess that the rougher surface post-dmt will speed up the cutting power of the ZG. Roughly what grit is the dmt? I don't ever go as high as 1500 on any of my stones including jnats. Probably the only stone I've heard a real need for that kind of finishing is a surgical black. But as I don't have either a ZG or an Arkansas thems are just my imaginings!

Top Bottom