What's new

Zulu Grey

Today I received my 8x3x1 Zulu Grey from South Africa. I waited for a while to get this stone (I changed my mind a few times about what size to get) but once it shipped it got here in just over a week. There is a lot of talk about these stones over on the other forums so I figured I would post here. First thing I noticed was the great attention to details with the packaging. He also includes three different stickers to use so you can lacquer/finger nail polish one of them to the backside of the stone. He recently cam up with a way to lap each one of these stones with a diamond wheel and it looks like it worked great (reflection photo). I haven't used the stone yet, but as soon as I do I will post my impressions here. I went ahead and lapped one of the sides so I can finish warped or smiley blades on it as well.

Mike discovered these over in South Africa and cuts all of these himself. Some of the guys I have talked to about these stones said that the shipping price is too high. I do agree that the shipping price is steep, but these stones are heavy, the package is tracked and takes just over a week to get here so I feel it is worth the shipping cost.

Attachments

• $IMG_6618_edited-1.jpg
    $IMG_6618_edited-1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,012
  • $IMG_6619_edited-1.jpg
    $IMG_6619_edited-1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,001
  • $IMG_6620.jpg
    $IMG_6620.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,006
  • $IMG_6621_edited-1.jpg
    $IMG_6621_edited-1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,014
Last edited:
The reflection photo is how it is straight out of the package.

Attachments

• $IMG_6629.jpg
    $IMG_6629.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,024
  • $IMG_6624.jpg
    $IMG_6624.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,009
  • $IMG_6622_edited-1.jpg
    $IMG_6622_edited-1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,012
  • $IMG_6623.jpg
    $IMG_6623.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,006
  • $IMG_6631.jpg
    $IMG_6631.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,018
Very Nice looking stone. and you are living in a nice place. What's that, a lake ? ( seen outside your window) .

I must say nice scenery and you are a very lucky man :thumbup:

I got mine on order, I too wavered on size but settled on the 8x3.
I've heard such good things about it I feel like I've gotten my hopes up too high - but just seeing how unbelievable of a lapping job Mike C does on a very hard stone...I am already impressed.
Looking forward to seeing results with and without slurry.

I have one of those too, I got one of the first stones available a few months ago and I have been using it almost exclusively on a lot of razors. The stone is equal to Escher or better as a finisher, for me the finished edge is sharper than Escher and about as smooth as a Jnat finished edge. I do not agree with the grit ratings some people give the stone, it is a natural stone so how it gets 10k grit rating is a mystery to me.
The stone has been tested by many people so far on many many razors very consistent and much much cheaper compared to Escher for the amount of stone you get.

Here is mine 10x3x1"

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one of those too, I got one of the first stones available a few months ago and I have been using it almost exclusively on a lot of razors. The stone is equal to Escher or better as a finisher, for me the finished edge is sharper than Escher and about as smooth as a Jnat finished edge. I do not agree with the grit ratings some people give the stone, it is a natural stone so how it gets 10k grit rating is a mystery to me.
The stone has been tested by many people so far on many many razors very consistent and much much cheaper compared to Escher for the amount of stone you get.

Here is mine 10x3x1"

Thats about the same size as the window sill in my downstairs toilet! Might give that a try with an old SR. Living in Belgium it's probably a coticule (well it's grey so a BBW). :biggrin1:

Wow nice hone

Where can i buy One?

I think you have to PM someone on SRP to get em....

I too am curious about this stone. I'm still learning my coticule bouts however, so even if I got one I wouldn't get to working with it for a while! For now, I think I'll stick to my coticules and my little thuri...

Top Bottom