What's new

Zulu Grey

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
A jnat with Tomo slurry would give you a bit of range and follow your 6k nicely I'd think.
I had a Zulu and didn't care for it. I'd take a naniwa 12k over the Zulu any day.

Thuris are pretty awesome, not many stones are as good at what they do. I recently did a little project with my scope of a bunch of different stones and the finishes they put on - all on the same razor. Did a shot with diamond plate slurry, rub stone slurry, and straight water for all the stones. The Thuri (a Celebrated Water Hone) finish on straight water I couldn't even see scratches. Don't have a Zulu, but only a couple other stones were able to match it for finish - and those both required a synth progression up to a pretty high level first to do it. The Thuri did it after 5k by using a rub stone slurry dilution. Of course, best finish doesn't always equate to best edge, but in this case it was a great edge.

Last edited:
You will get a totally different edge with a Zulu when comparing to a Naniwa 12K. I have both and with my more "hollow" blades (like Ralf Austs and Boker Extra Hollow grinds) I go a few laps on the Zulu after the Naniwa. Still good and sharp but not as, for lack of a better word, harsh. More like a coticule edge which I prefer over a hyper-keen synthetic end result. But again, just my opinion.

Thuris are pretty awesome, not many stones are as good at what they do. I recently did a little project with my scope of a bunch of different stones and the finishes they put on - all on the same razor. Did a shot with diamond plate slurry, rub stone slurry, and straight water for all the stones. The Thuri (a Celebrated Water Hone) finish on straight water I couldn't even see scratches. Don't have a Zulu, but only a couple other stones were able to match it for finish - and those both required a synth progression up to a pretty high level first to do it. The Thuri did it after 5k by using a rub stone slurry dilution. Of course, best finish doesn't always equate to best edge, but in this case it was a great edge.

So a Thuri would work after the 6000 Cerax, when used with slurry and dilution? Would a nagura be suitable as slurry stone?

Thanks

So a Thuri would work after the 6000 Cerax, when used with slurry and dilution? Would a nagura be suitable as slurry stone?

Thanks

Mine did - with that razor, a Tidioute. Might take more or less laps with a different razor, but should still do the trick. I used a diamond plate slurry then a Thuri rub stone slurry dilution for that specific test. Not sure what a JNat nagura would do, but I could try that too.

Wow. These Zulu Grey things are expensive. Like, 2x or so what I would expect, at $120 for the 5x3" stone anyway.

For comparison, you can get a similarly sized razor-kata Nakayama, Oozuku, Mizukihara, etc in that price range that will be as good as any JNAT finisher in the world - the Nakayama wouldn't have the circle-K but would finish as well as any maruka would.

For $120 you can get a nice new coticule in a similar size range.

Yup, that's why I never even wanted to get one. Way overpriced IMO. I looked into picking up one of the raw stones that aren't finished since I can do that myself, but those are barely even cheaper.

Thanks! Maybe I get one and try it out.
Just one more stupid question, then it's enough OT:
When you are talking about thuris, do you mean eschers, the ones sold at mst müller or which?

Thanks

The MST ones are coarser than what you'd want from what I understand. Eschers are just a brand of Thuringian stone, but that type of stone is what you want. Try PMing member hatzicho, he might be able to point you in the right direction as to where to get a good one. I have had good luck getting some from eBay - currently have 4 Thuris - an Escher Yellow-Green, Escher Blue-Green, NH&S Co. light green, and a Celebrated Water Hone that looks like a blue green/dark blue combo.

I finally got one 6 weeks ago. I really like the edge. Getting much better results then my Ark Surgical Black. In fact just sold the Ark. I use a oil on the Zulu then water. Really does the job faster then the Ark. My stone is 8 x 3.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks, gentlemen.

I finally got one 6 weeks ago. I really like the edge. Getting much better results then my Ark Surgical Black. In fact just sold the Ark. I use a oil on the Zulu then water. Really does the job faster then the Ark. My stone is 8 x 3.

Would you mind going into a bit more detail about exactly how you use your Zulu. I was under the impression that if you use oil you must stick with oil.

This is from the Zulu Grey website.

ZuluGrey.oil.water.png

I'm not being critical of what you're doing, but merely trying to learn about this stone. I'm new to the SR and to honing.

My own ZG stone will be delivered in several months (the current lead time is 3-4 months) so I'm not in a huge rush to learn everything I can about how to best use the stone.

Thanks for anything you can tell me. The more good information the better.

Happy shaves,

Jim

From the Zulu Grey website-
“The stone will work well with either plain water or a thin honing oil. Remember though, that the stone is slightly porous and if using oil, then the stone is best dedicated to the continued use of oil”
The guy sells these told me some time back that a product made by Castrol (some kind of WD40 like bicycle lube) can’t remember what it’s called, is supposed to work well. Might want to check and see if that’s still valid advice

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
From the Zulu Grey website-
“The stone will work well with either plain water or a thin honing oil. Remember though, that the stone is slightly porous and if using oil, then the stone is best dedicated to the continued use of oil”
The guy sells these told me some time back that a product made by Castrol (some kind of WD40 like bicycle lube) can’t remember what it’s called, is supposed to work well. Might want to check and see if that’s still valid advice

Thanks.

After using the Zulu without anything, using just water, oil only and most recently ballistol and water in a 50/50 mix the best results are the 50/50 mix. It really produces a very shiny edge that shaves smooth and sharp. I do 75-100 laps back and forth.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
After using the Zulu without anything, using just water, oil only and most recently ballistol and water in a 50/50 mix the best results are the 50/50 mix. It really produces a very shiny edge that shaves smooth and sharp. I do 75-100 laps back and forth.

I had to look up Ballistol to find out what it was. Very interesting stuff. Thanks for the information.

My ZG won't arrive for 3-4 months so I'll just follow along and read stuff until it gets here.

Happy shaves,

Jim

P.S. Now that I think about it I used to use Ballistol when cleaning my guns. I'd just forgotten about it.

Last edited:

Very interesting thank you. I've been honing (finishing) and getting great results on my Zulu with pure Ballistol, should I be mixing 50:50 with water? Even if it just helps reduce the smell I'll do it immediately! :) PS I flattened/polished my Zulu up to 1,200 (wet n' dry) and do about 100 strokes.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Very interesting thank you. I've been honing (finishing) and getting great results on my Zulu with pure Ballistol, should I be mixing 50:50 with water? Even if it just helps reduce the smell I'll do it immediately! :) PS I flattened/polished my Zulu up to 1,200 (wet n' dry) and do about 100 strokes.

I wonder what else might improve the smell. I'm not wild about the scent of Ballistol outside of the gun range.

I've used that 50/50 mix on my translucent ark with excellent results.

It might be even better with an Arkansas as they're harder and less penetrated by the oils (from what I've read).

Top Bottom