What's new

Your Least Favorite Scented Soap(s)

If I look at the responses so far, with the exception of Tabac, the replies seem to fall into one of two groups.

- Low-end mainstream products that are using cheap ‘industrial’ scents that are used in a variety of products including shaving soap.

- Artisan makers with no perfumery experience and evidently suspect noses, who seem to be blending candle shop scents. Candle scents lean toward sweet, heavy, and sometimes cloying, because that small flame has to scent a room or more.

BTW, the first category is not universally bad IMO. The old Strop Shoppe scent ‘Black Tie’ is a commercial scent that you can buy by the 55 gallon drum if you want. It isn’t Floris but it isn’t bad either.
I suspect RE has somebody on the books who likes to dabble in making soaps, candles and aftershaves in their spare time. The soap itself lathers easily, rich, and very slick so that part is spot on but the scenting is way off, artificial, and similar to scented bathroom cleaners. The aftershave is really weird, it separates into two, maybe three layers within the bottle almost immediately. Once applied it smells of straight alcohol (pure denatured alcohol) for about 5 minutes then bam 💥 in your face floral…like burying your nose inside a bottle of fabric softener and it never lets up; all day strong.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Would it surprise anyone if I said Arko reminds me of the scent of urinal blocks and whenever I used it made me think I was shaving in a public toilet

You’re a lucky one. I hate when AS scent is overly strong and lingers too long. Cologne is different, but I am still not trying to smell up an entire room like my grandma.
I'm talking specifically about the scent of soaps, which doesn't tend to be as strong or lingering as aftershave and eau de toilette.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Would it surprise anyone if I said Arko reminds me of the scent of urinal blocks and whenever I used it made me think I was shaving in a public toilet
1650537707656.gif

I've tried well over 200 shaving soaps, but the scents of only a few have really turned me off:

Taconic Shave Urban Woods- smells like a stale ash tray
Wholy Kaw Spice Vitae- So bad I could not bring myself to shave with it.
Tabac- I had to air the puck out for two weeks before I could tolerate it.
Sir Hare Barbershop- smelled like spoiled milk
Ogallala Bay Rum- too much clove, burned my face
Barrister and Mann Roam- smells like a cow pasture
Arko- smells like citronella mosquito repellent

I've tried well over 200 shaving soaps, but the scents of only a few have really turned me off:

Taconic Shave Urban Woods- smells like a stale ash tray
Wholy Kaw Spice Vitae- So bad I could not bring myself to shave with it.
Tabac- I had to air the puck out for two weeks before I could tolerate it.
Sir Hare Barbershop- smelled like spoiled milk
Ogallala Bay Rum- too much clove, burned my face
Barrister and Mann Roam- smells like a cow pasture
Arko- smells like citronella mosquito repellent
Thanks for your feedback; these are off my list going forward.

Scent doesn't tend to bother me too much but the scents I like least are probably Arko and MWF when new.
I'm of the same opinion for the most part in that scents don't bother me too much. I haven't tried any so far that I've thrown/ given away, but there are some scents I prefer more/less than others.

My least favorite scent (so far) was the Matterhorn version of WSPs Formula T shave soap. Odd thing is that I loved the soap itself. (Their Formula T is on my list of Top 5 soaps I've used... maybe even at the top of that list.) But for whatever reason, I just didn't care for the Matterhorn scented version of it. It's all personal preference, though... right? I've read reviews of that soap by folks here on B&B who raved about the Matterhorn Formula T & anxiously look forward to new production batches.
I didn't care Tabac at all.

I've got to agree with wes. Tabac is the worst.

I disagree here - I thought the scent was great. Again, this is personal preference. Some folks hate it. But I really liked my puck of Tabac & would be happy to get another... if I ever work through the ones I have. (I'm not quite a "3017'er", but I have enough cream/ soap in my stash to last at least a few years.)

The over-riding factor re: scents for me, however, is not whether or not I like it - but whether or not the wife likes it.

The wife hated Tabac even more than I did.

The wife decides my aftershaves since she has to put up with them. Soaps she doesn't care too much because they quickly fade. Tabac, however, was immediately banned and not allowed in the bathroom.
Exactly, your spouse will let you know when your AS is lack luster. They will also ask, what the hell were you thinking when you picked that scent?

Top Bottom