What's new

Noble Otter - Any Scent Recommendations?

Hello folks,

I hope you all are well.

I'm keen to try a few more Noble Otter soaps (and splashes)

I only own two of theirs.. Neon Sun and Monoi de Tahiti. I quite like Neon Sun.. the patchouli note reminds me of Davidoff Zino, although obviously Neon Sun is a much lighter, fresher scent.. kinda citrussy lime, bergamot, but also quite powdery, with a touch of patch. Monoi de Tahiti reminds me a lot of Tom Ford Soleil Blanc. A nice, straightforward, sweet, light summery coconutty scent. I personally don't get much ginger or lime.

I've sampled Noir et Vanille (which I really like and will buy) and Monarch (which I found very pleasant also, however.. not in any crazy hurry to purchase it)

I like quite unique and original offerings.. I also like soaps with a stronger scent. Some of my Noble Otters seem milder in that regards than others. Maybe just due to the nature of the note makeup.

Any other fantastic ones that I'm missing out on?!

I was curious about some like maybe Orbit, Hamami, Lonestar.. also Barrbarr which I gather is their take on a barbershop.. however, I've heard Neon Sun described as like the soft powdery accord of Barrbarr, updated and added with some other notes such as lime and some patch, musk etc for an 80s vibe.. and I want to stay away from anything too similar to what I already own. Firefighter seems to be mostly a somewhat woodsy aquatic.. so maybe not really something that would interest me. Rawr seems to be somewhat of a green fragrance.. again, not sure!

I would especially love to hear from anyone that owns Orbit, Hamami, Lonestar and what your opinion is on those! Which ones are the best etc.

Thanks all!

Rawr is the best one. It’s a light floral scent. Orbit is the second best one. All the others are good but not like as perfect as Rawr and Orbit.

Thanks a lot for the help! I'll maybe take your advice on that then and get those two then! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get Orbit anyways.. I was thinking maybe Orbit and Hamami or Orbit and Lonestar.. a lot of people seem to have a great opinion on Lonestar. Have you tried Hamami or Lonstar? As for Rawr, I heard Rawr was a "Dad scent" so as I'm not a Dad I figured that ain't for me. 😆 Is there anything you would say it bears a similarity to or is it a quite original scent? I'll definitely think it over! Thanks!

Rawr is pretty original and unique with the dandelion. If you are comfortable wearing floral scents you’ll love it. It was my go-to soap throughout the pandemic when mask-wearing meant I could smell my shaving soap all day long. I think it’s very easy to get along with - interesting, fresh, not offensive, not like an old lady’s handbag. Not a ‘dad’ scent at all, in my view. Might possibly be a kid’s scent but if it’s enjoyable, why not? It makes me feel happy when I smell this.

Orbit was a very pleasant surprise to me. I expected a menthol / eucalyptus scent but it actually has a very pleasing and well balanced fruity / floral scent with it. It really hangs together very nicely as a scent.

Lonestar is one of the few NO scents I haven’t tried.

I do have Hamami and I like it. It’s very much what they say - wet stone, rose, Turkish bath. Wet, hairy, naked men all together on a slippery tile floor. Not as distinctive or wearable for me as my favourites, but it’s nice enough and if the idea of it appeals to you then it’s a safe buy that will meet your expectations well.

Last edited:
Awesome. Those are some great descriptions. Thanks so much. It's a great help to me in making a decision!

The only other ones I'd been wondering about were BarrBarr and Firefighter.. Firefighter in particular seems to get a lot of love in the shave community. It may be wonderful but the scent notes didn't really stand out to me.. maybe as I'm not really an aquatic guy, however it is hard to say. Do you like that one?

I'll maybe pick BarrBarr up at some stage also. For the moment to only one I've decided on for sure is Orbit. I'm trying to think what'd be best for my second choice.. runners are Rawr, Lonestar, Hamami, Firefighter, BarrBarr!

Many thanks!

Haven’t tried Firefighter. Like you, the scent notes didn’t seem to be my thing.

BarrBarr is a perfectly nice barbershop scent but there’s a thousand of those and it didn’t really stand out in any way. It’s fine. Noir et Vanille, Neon Sun, Monarch, Two Kings were similarly fine but not special enough to buy again, for me.

One that I liked a lot was Plunder - a sort of pirate’s bay rum with gunpowder and cannon smoke. That was fun but it’s discontinued now, I think.

My favourite barbershop scents are Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber and Paolo Barrasso (both the Red and Blue - made by TFS in Italy). If you want a barbershop scent then I think these are more interesting and evocative of a traditional barber shop than the Noble Otter one.

Anyway, everything I say is only my opinion and your nose may disagree with mine. I hope others will chime in with their thoughts.

Firefighter is the best scent from them I've used. I also really liked Orbit, quite a unique fresh scent. I did a write up and review on it a while ago. I can't recommend two kings, rawr or lonestar though. To me, they were just too weak and really just didn't have any substance or body to them the same way Orbit and Firefighter had. They come off almost as variations of the same scent to me. Hamami was unique but to me, was very heavy on the artificial saffron scent. Alongside the wetstone note, it comes across as saffron mixed with clay and coconut oil. Just really out of my wheelhouse. I've heard good things about plunder but didn't pick it up as it has a smoke note that I dont care for. Logbook got rave reviews on release too.

Firefighter is the best scent from them I've used. I also really liked Orbit, quite a unique fresh scent. I did a write up and review on it a while ago. I can't recommend two kings, rawr or lonestar though. To me, they were just too weak and really just didn't have any substance or body to them the same way Orbit and Firefighter had. They come off almost as variations of the same scent to me. Hamami was unique but to me, was very heavy on the artificial saffron scent. Alongside the wetstone note, it comes across as saffron mixed with clay and coconut oil. Just really out of my wheelhouse. I've heard good things about plunder but didn't pick it up as it has a smoke note that I dont care for. Logbook got rave reviews on release too.

I was a bit worried about soap scent strength being too weak! I was keen to hear the stronger ones. I had saw on some review videos online some people said in their opinion Noble Otter soaps weren't typically the strongest scent wise. The two I own I probably would class around mid-strength. 🤔

I'm glad to hear you like Orbit. I ordered the Orbit soap and splash so can't wait to try that one out. I also picked up Le Noir et Vanille.. I'd sampled it and I did find it to be very pleasant so just decided to go with it. From what I gather it is, or at least was, their best selling one.

I was debating over Hamami but was undecided. Just can't make my mind up on that one! 😄 I'm sure I'll undoubtedly pick it up sometime..

Thanks for the heads up about Two Kings! I was so keen on that one as I love oud. I'd heard it was very much an oud and rose scent.. so was definitely interested in getting it. Now that I've heard your opinion on it I maybe try obtain a sample first. I tend to like soaps that are on the stronger side scent wise. Some like weaker scents but I really like to have a nice potent scent in the soap.. I feel enjoying the scent is half the point anyways! If not we could all just use unscented soap! 🤭

Maybe I should take a chance on Firefighter. It seems to be very popular at the moment.. a lot of people seem to enjoy it.. so maybe surely it must be a good one! Would you say it's a quite unique aquatic fragrance? As far as aquatic based shave soaps and splashes go I think the only one I have is Barrister and Mann's Oceana and I'm wondering if it's the same ballpark or something entirely different.

Do you like Monarch?! I took a little pinch of Monarch from the sample and lathered it up just to get a better idea of the scent really and I think I actually like it more than I initially thought when just smelling it from the sample pot.. it reminds me of something.. I can't quite put my finger on it. There's some note in it unlocked some memory of mine. I think its something from when I was a kid.

One thing about the Noble Otter soaps is I think they have the absolute best labels in the game! Of course, things like this aren't of the greatest importance as well as the saying goes you can't shave with the label! 🤭 But I thought I'd just mention how much I love them! They look great! I need to get myself a phone so I can post my shave of the days!

But that aside, the bonus being their soap and splash is great also and they have good original scents. Barrister and Mann was pretty much my favourite all along but Noble Otter is fast gaining on it.. I think they're pretty much even now. I like them both equally. Although I've much more Barrister and Mann in my collection, I've almost everything they've released but on the other hand not too many from Noble Otter. Just two and two more in the post. I posted the thread as I was keen to hear some recommendations to add more Noble Otter to my collection!

Thanks a lot for your help! 😊

I was a bit worried about soap scent strength being too weak! I was keen to hear the stronger ones. I had saw on some review videos online some people said in their opinion Noble Otter soaps weren't typically the strongest scent wise. The two I own I probably would class around mid-strength. 🤔

I'm glad to hear you like Orbit. I ordered the Orbit soap and splash so can't wait to try that one out. I also picked up Le Noir et Vanille.. I'd sampled it and I did find it to be very pleasant so just decided to go with it. From what I gather it is, or at least was, their best selling one.

I was debating over Hamami but was undecided. Just can't make my mind up on that one! 😄 I'm sure I'll undoubtedly pick it up sometime..

Thanks for the heads up about Two Kings! I was so keen on that one as I love oud. I'd heard it was very much an oud and rose scent.. so was definitely interested in getting it. Now that I've heard your opinion on it I maybe try obtain a sample first. I tend to like soaps that are on the stronger side scent wise. Some like weaker scents but I really like to have a nice potent scent in the soap.. I feel enjoying the scent is half the point anyways! If not we could all just use unscented soap! 🤭

Maybe I should take a chance on Firefighter. It seems to be very popular at the moment.. a lot of people seem to enjoy it.. so maybe surely it must be a good one! Would you say it's a quite unique aquatic fragrance? As far as aquatic based shave soaps and splashes go I think the only one I have is Barrister and Mann's Oceana and I'm wondering if it's the same ballpark or something entirely different.

Do you like Monarch?! I took a little pinch of Monarch from the sample and lathered it up just to get a better idea of the scent really and I think I actually like it more than I initially thought when just smelling it from the sample pot.. it reminds me of something.. I can't quite put my finger on it. There's some note in it unlocked some memory of mine. I think its something from when I was a kid.

One thing about the Noble Otter soaps is I think they have the absolute best labels in the game! Of course, things like this aren't of the greatest importance as well as the saying goes you can't shave with the label! 🤭 But I thought I'd just mention how much I love them! They look great! I need to get myself a phone so I can post my shave of the days!

But that aside, the bonus being their soap and splash is great also and they have good original scents. Barrister and Mann was pretty much my favourite all along but Noble Otter is fast gaining on it.. I think they're pretty much even now. I like them both equally. Although I've much more Barrister and Mann in my collection, I've almost everything they've released but on the other hand not too many from Noble Otter. Just two and two more in the post. I posted the thread as I was keen to hear some recommendations to add more Noble Otter to my collection!

Thanks a lot for your help! 😊
I would say that firefighter is quite unique and enjoyable as an Aquatic scent. Worth picking up if you tend to like these kinds of scents. Two Kings for me was virtually unscented and not particularly unique. I didn't mind Monarch but its just....ok. Nothing that is like a must buy for me the same way Orbit and Firefighter were.

I have 2 noble otters. Firefighter and orbit, had high expectations of firefighter but to me it just smells strange and I can't get away with it.
Orbit tho is another level, that juice is outstanding.i wear for bed and it helps me sleep. Highly recommend orbit

Picked up 5 NO to try

Barbara is my fav of the five I picked out recently

Barbarr is a barbershop with a spice twist

The Noir Et Vanille is also very nice almost reminds me of spicy Rootbeer smell and like Barbara enough scent to enjoy like Barrbarr

Rawr was kinda a surprise
Not usually into green smells as I call them but it’s very nice

Monoi De Tahiti is nice but quite faint smelling which it was stronger so it gets knocked down for not enough scent to enjoy

LogBook is another great scent but again so weak you can’t really tell and do wish they were both stronger

If Logbook and the monoi were stronger might try again chances are I won’t :(

Still going to have to try the other NO soaps at some point so I know what they are all like :)

Did smell the Firefighter and monster but picked my top 5 at the store being able to smell them is handy above will smell it again next time I am at RE see if my mind changed

The Neon Sun reminded me of HS girls in the 80s and Baby soft powder smell :) hahahaha not sure about it might smell again see if it’s the same but think it’s to powdery for me

Also anything menthol or cooling is a no go for me so the couple they have northern something and the other are not me

Really loving the NO soap performance and scents just wish they were stronger as the couple of them are so weak you really can’t even smell it when it’s in your face

Hello folks,

I hope you all are well.

I'm keen to try a few more Noble Otter soaps (and splashes)

I only own two of theirs.. Neon Sun and Monoi de Tahiti. I quite like Neon Sun.. the patchouli note reminds me of Davidoff Zino, although obviously Neon Sun is a much lighter, fresher scent.. kinda citrussy lime, bergamot, but also quite powdery, with a touch of patch. Monoi de Tahiti reminds me a lot of Tom Ford Soleil Blanc. A nice, straightforward, sweet, light summery coconutty scent. I personally don't get much ginger or lime.

I've sampled Noir et Vanille (which I really like and will buy) and Monarch (which I found very pleasant also, however.. not in any crazy hurry to purchase it)

I like quite unique and original offerings.. I also like soaps with a stronger scent. Some of my Noble Otters seem milder in that regards than others. Maybe just due to the nature of the note makeup.

Any other fantastic ones that I'm missing out on?!

I was curious about some like maybe Orbit, Hamami, Lonestar.. also Barrbarr which I gather is their take on a barbershop.. however, I've heard Neon Sun described as like the soft powdery accord of Barrbarr, updated and added with some other notes such as lime and some patch, musk etc for an 80s vibe.. and I want to stay away from anything too similar to what I already own. Firefighter seems to be mostly a somewhat woodsy aquatic.. so maybe not really something that would interest me. Rawr seems to be somewhat of a green fragrance.. again, not sure!

I would especially love to hear from anyone that owns Orbit, Hamami, Lonestar and what your opinion is on those! Which ones are the best etc.

Thanks all!
Noir et Vanille is the only soap I have from them, but I really like it. I'm glad you asked because I want to try more of their soap base.

I have Orbit as a sample.

It’s quite unique. It has no mint or eucalyptus notes I could discern, but that cool burn will surprise you. It’s not uncomfortable, more like opening the door of your log cabin on a cold winter morning on the summit of a very high mountain, feeling that fresh winter mountain breeze on your face.

The soap has a long lasting sense, at least a couple of hours. Lathering performance is outstanding.

Top Bottom