What's new

Your favorite AS Balms?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gents, I just purchased the newest Proraso Green balm at a local supermarket. I wanted to match it with Proraso Green shaving cream and use it as an alternative to the wonderful splash when opting for a balm. Well, this stuff is great, lightly scented and mildly refreshing. Very nice!

Proraso Liquid Cream Aftershave Balm! My favorite Aftershave product from Proraso. This stuff is Alcohol-free, is rich in witch hazel, has a "light" eucalyptus scent and just feels amazing! I think it's the best balm on the market in it's price range. Great stuff for me.

Pre de Provence, either the No.63 for when I want to smell terrific (cool weather) or the regular one for most every day. Not too heavy and great smell. My other favorite is Boellis Panama 1924. It has an even better fragrance, and feels fantastic.

Gents, I just purchased the newest Proraso Green balm at a local supermarket. I wanted to match it with Proraso Green shaving cream and use it as an alternative to the wonderful splash when opting for a balm. Well, this stuff is great, lightly scented and mildly refreshing. Very nice!

+1
I use this almost everyday it is a very nice Menthol and Eucalyptus balm....Proraso Crema Liquida Green :thumbup:

The other Menthol balm that really works well is the 444 balm from Portugal.

Another vote for Pre de Province Shea Butter ASB. I have a number of ASB's, several of which are quite good, but this is the one I reach for most often. Really soothing, and the scent is light enough that it can be used with any splash or EdT/cologne.

-Bob

Mostly a splash user, but Soap Commander "Courage" has a great scent/feel/hydration, and w/o feeling oily. The scent will stay with you on this item. Also, I enjoy Stirling Soap's "Black Cherry", again great feel and hydration. With this one I enjoy the scent, but it fades very quickly, almost undetectable once applied.

All you guys hung up on balms should try adding either a bit of glycerin or witch hazel to your lotions which bring on a dry feeling. Since discovering this remedy, the few balms I own now sit unused. A plus-lotions ALWAYS smell better than balms. Do you really want to put all those unnatural ingredients on your skin? The list of ingredients in most balms is alarming. I will never purchase a balm again. I shared my experience on hydrating shave lotions with a bud of mine, he no longer uses balms either. If you want to apply the usual 20 to 30 unnatural ingredients on your mug after shaving that's your call. Afta, Nivea, Gillette, Dove Nuetrogena and the others of their ilk have no place in my cabinet anymore.

All you guys hung up on balms should try adding either a bit of glycerin or witch hazel to your lotions which bring on a dry feeling. Since discovering this remedy, the few balms I own now sit unused. A plus-lotions ALWAYS smell better than balms. Do you really want to put all those unnatural ingredients on your skin? The list of ingredients in most balms is alarming. I will never purchase a balm again. I shared my experience on hydrating shave lotions with a bud of mine, he no longer uses balms either. If you want to apply the usual 20 to 30 unnatural ingredients on your mug after shaving that's your call. Afta, Nivea, Gillette, Dove Nuetrogena and the others of their ilk have no place in my cabinet anymore.
Try living in a northern winter. Then try telling us how inferior balms are.

I do, and I work outside to boot! I once thought balms were the answer to my face being so dry. Yes they are better than splashes, but once you figure out how to add a NATURAL moisturizer to splashes such as glycerin or witch hazel-it is a complete game changer. Try a bottle of glycerin, only a few bucks at Walmart, add a drop or two per ounce of fluid in your aftershave lotion, shake it up and give it a try. After a couple uses you might find you're onto something. Found out about this remedy on badger and blade, so I am not the first, nor last, to shove aside balms. This is the first winter I havent had skin irritation, I am convinced it is from no longer using balms and now using typical aftershave lotions with glycerin added. I have been to a dermatologist for skin issues, he isn't crazy about balms either. To each his own. Enjoy your balms, just keep in mind better, healthier skin is out there.

I do, and I work outside to boot! I once thought balms were the answer to my face being so dry. Yes they are better than splashes, but once you figure out how to add a NATURAL moisturizer to splashes such as glycerin or witch hazel-it is a complete game changer. Try a bottle of glycerin, only a few bucks at Walmart, add a drop or two per ounce of fluid in your aftershave lotion, shake it up and give it a try. After a couple uses you might find you're onto something. Found out about this remedy on badger and blade, so I am not the first, nor last, to shove aside balms. This is the first winter I havent had skin irritation, I am convinced it is from no longer using balms and now using typical aftershave lotions with glycerin added. I have been to a dermatologist for skin issues, he isn't crazy about balms either. To each his own. Enjoy your balms, just keep in mind better, healthier skin is out there.
I've tried glycerine on its own, and the irritation was unbelievable. I eliminated it, then tried again a few months later - same thing.It leaves me with quite a burn and a rash. Witch hazel is better, but must be followed up by something, or I get really dry.

Sounds like you have a completely different skin type from me. As for "completely natural" remedies, I do use organic Argan oil as well as Shea oil in the winter, and they work well on my face, but the balms I have chosen give me predictable results, and not all ingredients you have trouble pronouncing are detrimental to your skin's health.

L'Occitane Cade, less is more with this balm and a small drop goes a long way to making your face feel great!

Really nice warm, dry juniper scent that lingers through the day, its certainly the longest lasting balm scent that I've used.

I agree with this point of view. Superb, if a bit expensive.

Top Bottom