What's new

Your Definitive Drink

The last few years I actually drank I usually ordered a double Crown Royal on the rocks with water to (actually close to) the top of the glass. I stirred it myself with one of those bar straws. Smooth, refreshing and after about ten of them I felt pretty good. They should give me stock in the company for all of the Crown Royal I consumed over the years.

Long Island Ice Tea went down pretty good as well (no recipe, sorry) if I could find a barkeep that could make one.

"MY" drink since 1971:

Large double old-fashion glass
Fill with ice
Pour to 1/2 way mark with gin (Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray, Beefeaters, Boodles, Plymouth)
Pour to brim with Schweppes Tonic Water.
Enjoy.

Note: no lime needed.

Not a very classy nor exotic drink, but it's held me in good stead for lo these 41 years.

If I drink whiskey, it will always be a high end sippin Bourbon and more than likely neat.
Now, for those of you who have never enjoyed a hot and sometimes humid Mobile, AL summer evening out on the verandah listening to the whippoorwills in the distance, there is the much enjoyed summer time Mint Julep.

I must confess, I am lazy when it comes to making a simple syrup.

First you have to understand that a true Southern Mint Julep is a multi-sensory drink !

My personal recipe:

Gather the following:
A metal cup is a must.
Fresh garden mint is a plus - my wife grows it.( but fresh mint none the less. )
Good Bourbon like Makers Mark is ok.
A plastic straw and kitchen scissors.
Crushed ice
Powered sugar

Make it.
Take the metal cup and add one tsp of powdered sugar to one oz of Bourbon.
Now, add some fresh mint and muddle all nicely together. ( I said I was lazy with the simple syrup)
Now, put in the straw and fill the the metal cup with the crushed ice.
Next, put a nice sprig of mint on top of the ice next to the straw.
Now, take the kitchen scissors and cut the straw off to the same height as the mint.
Finish filling with Bourbon.

If you have come this far, you will see that the metal cup has now iced over - cold to the touch - nice feeling on a hot Southern night.
Now bring the cup up for a sip through the straw. You will immediately smell the mint as the straw has been cut for this reason.
Take a sip. You will now taste the chilled sweet mint flavored bourbon.
When finished, you should have a little buzz started to soothe that hot and humid evening out on the verandah. A few more, and amazingly the whippoorwills seem much closer than before ? :thumbup1:

One of my favorite drinks is the Gin and Tonic. I'm relatively young and always get weird stares when I bust out my bottles to make my drink.

I'm a simple man when it comes to alcohol. I've pretty much settled on these three...

Jack and Coke---fill a 12oz glass tumbler with ice, fill halfway with JD and the rest with Coke.
Crown Royal and Ginger Ale --- fill a 12oz glass tumbler with ice, fill halfway with CR and rest with Ginger Ale.
Bud Light Beer -- What can I say? Like I said, I'm a simple man and no matter how many micro brews and imports I try (and there have several, several dozen over the years), I always come back to Bud Light.

if drinking pints - Tennants lager or guiness
during hot summer days - gin and tonic
during long drinking nights - dark rum and coke
pre dinner cocktail - dry martini with a twist (haven't tried olives yet)
post dinner drink - a good single malt - jura highland park or clynelish

its ok im allowed to have lots of drink options im scottish and a bartender (ie i spend a lot of time with booze :D)

JB

Very well-written, i felt transported to a Southern night for a moment! :thumbup1:

If I drink whiskey, it will always be a high end sippin Bourbon and more than likely neat.
Now, for those of you who have never enjoyed a hot and sometimes humid Mobile, AL summer evening out on the verandah listening to the whippoorwills in the distance, there is the much enjoyed summer time Mint Julep.

I must confess, I am lazy when it comes to making a simple syrup.

First you have to understand that a true Southern Mint Julep is a multi-sensory drink !

My personal recipe:

Gather the following:
A metal cup is a must.
Fresh garden mint is a plus - my wife grows it.( but fresh mint none the less. )
Crushed ice
Powered sugar

Make it.
Now, add some fresh mint and muddle all nicely together. ( I said I was lazy with the simple syrup)
Now, take the kitchen scissors and cut the straw off to the same height as the mint.

If you have come this far, you will see that the metal cup has now iced over - cold to the touch - nice feeling on a hot Southern night.
Now bring the cup up for a sip through the straw. You will immediately smell the mint as the straw has been cut for this reason.
When finished, you should have a little buzz started to soothe that hot and humid evening out on the verandah. A few more, and amazingly the whippoorwills seem much closer than before ? :thumbup1:

An "Old Fashioned" made with makers. Add three dashes of bitters, a splash of tonic or plain water, and a cherry.

Also very partial to gin & tonic or vodka tonic during the summer.

I'm printing this off to try this summer. Thanks!

My personal recipe:

Gather the following:
A metal cup is a must.
Crushed ice
Powered sugar

Make it.

One of my favorite drinks is the Gin and Tonic. I'm relatively young and always get weird stares when I bust out my bottles to make my drink.

Yeah, I don't drink much liquor any more, but when I do I tend to want a gin and tonic, as long as the gin is decent.

Top Bottom