What's new

Your Definitive Drink

I'm not talking about the most expensive or exotic drink but the drink that defines your taste and style. Being from KY, I have a bourbon and non-bourbon drink of choice.

My Dad's Makers Manhattan
First I add 3 shots of Makers Mark to the shaker on ice. Then, add a splash of sweet vermouth (I like Vya) to your glass
. Swirl glass to coat and dump out excess vermouth. Add a maraschino cherry or two to your glass and just under a spoonful of the cherry syrup. Shake, pour, and serve up or on the rocks.

This makes an exceptionally dry Manhattan with a hint of cherry and a golden red color that I like very much. Makers is a bourbon that has enough backbone to stand up to the cutting from the vermouth yet is still has a very smooth finish. For straight bourbon on the rocks, I feel Makers is a bit over priced, as one can get Basil Hayden or many other small batch and even some single barrels within 5$ of Makers price. However, the extra wheat in Makers makes my favorite Manhattan.

Vodka Vesper
This is my take on the Vesper famously created by Ian Flemming.

"Just a moment. Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it's ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of
lemon peel. Got it?"
"Certainly, monsieur." The barman seemed pleased with the idea.
"Gosh, that's certainly a drink," said Leiter.
Bond laughed. "When I'm...er...concentrating," he explained, "I never have more than one drink before dinner. But I do like that one to be large and very strong
and very cold and very well-made. I hate small portions of anything, particularly when they taste bad. This drink's my own invention. I'm going to patent it
when I can think of a good name."

I prefer:
3 shots vodka - one you like, I like Kettle One (Finlandia if I don't have the dough)
1 shot gin - Bombay Sapphire for me
1/2 shot Lillet Blanc
Shaken on ice and served up, with a lemon twist or flame if you are so inclined.

I like vodka over gin martinis, and I find that Bombay has enough spice to meld nicely when used as the minor player. The Lillet was an excellent investment as it makes a very nice, slightly sweeter, traditional martini in place of vermouth.

Interested to see your suggestions. Cheers

$gaelic.jpg!!!

Also a nice bourbon, Elijah Craig... With ice usually, and outside preferably:biggrin1:

While I like BOTH recipe's you posted, I think my "Go to" is:

The Dirty Vodka Martini:

-3-4oz Vodka (I'm not brand specific but unflavored)
-1/2-1/4 oz of Olive juice
-4 Large Blue Cheese stuffed Olives
-Enough Dry Vermouth (I prefer Nolly Pratt) to coat the glass

-Take your cocktail glass from the freezer and coat with the Vermouth. (If the glass is not chilled add ice to it and add the vermouth into it, then toss it all out before you add the drink to it)

-In a shaker with crushed ice add the vodka and olive juice.
-Shake until you cannot hold the shaker anymore
-Add to glass and garnish with the Olives
Enjoy.

In the summer, I'm a big fan of the Tom Collins. The rest of the year it's a whiskey based drink of some sort.

Ah, yes. That Highland Gaelic is my holy grail beer, brewed in my hometown of Asheville!

Have you had their cold mountain ale? Its only out around Christmas, and is my favorite beer.

As for definitive drink? A martini (beefeater usually, brokers or plymouth on occasion), fairly dry with martini and rossi, 3 olives with the juice wiped off, and 2 drops of orange infused gordons (my cheap college substitute for bitters).

Or an old fashioned, no garnish, just a sugar cube bitters and whatever whiskey i have around.

Or the cheapest non-light beer on tap.

My definitive drinks:

Cocktail: Beefeater Martini
Tailgating: New Castle Brown Ale (except in October when I go for Southern Tier PumpKing Ale)
After Dinner: Galliano and Pernod
With a Cigar: Balvenie 15 or 21

StmnO-I tried the Cold Mountain, and didn't feel it was worth the inflated price. Apparently all the hype and supply issues really drove up prices last Christmas. I'm also not a great fan of the winter ale style, I guess. Funny, though, all the fly-fishing types I know in the mountains acted like it was the second coming when they got hold of a case. Still, Highland is probably one of the best brewers in the whole region.

Oh, and signature drink (if I had one-not much of a drinker at all any more): winter-scotch or bourbon; summer-gin and tonic with lime wedge!

Wait til Sierra Nevada moves into town! Not knocking Highland, I'm a big fan of their Oatmeal Porter as well as their Gaelic and Kasmir. Their OP is one of the best in that style, though.

My signature drink is Gin and Tonics in the summer, Scotch whisky in the winter, and a good pint otherwise.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Patrick:
Hmmmm...good question.
proxy.php

If I had to pick one that is really 'me' (I think I have good manners, a little refinement, and a 'dash' of good taste),....it would be
Hine VSOP Cognac (either with cranapple juice or as a 'Sidecar' [triple sec & lemon juice], or just with 'on the rocks').

I find this warm golden color Cognac full of flavor with soft tones of vanilla, honey, oak wood and spice that is very smooth on
the palate.

proxy.php
"All Cognac’s are Brandy...but not all Brandy’s are Cognac". CBJ

attachment.php

Last edited:
If I had to choose one, I gotta go back to my roots for this one and choose hefe-weissen.

But a nice Gin Cocktail is a close second in definitiveness.

Top Bottom