What's new

Yet Another Journal of Razors and Blades and Stuff

How about I help you stick to rule #1 and change your mind again? :wink2:

Have you tried reverse shimming the Athena? It’s a rigid enough design and that might reduce blade exposure just enough. The nice thing about reverse is you don’t have to futz with it every time you change the blade because it’s on the bottom(or top once assembled). You will need to be careful careful how you cut the shim, for it to be effective, due to the tiny blade reveal on the Athena.
Shim blade on top of the cutting blade - on the cap side? Thanks! I hadn't thought of that.

It would certainly be an interesting experiment, so why not? I need to plan out the best time to phase this A/B experiment in. I'll report back when I do it.

One other thing I wanted to try with the Athena (and didn't mention above) is a slightly duller blade like the Gillette Wilkies which you (or was it @spacemonkey42) mentioned.

Running through this testing cycle was complicated enough with the 2 blade comparo.

It's time to better optimize/match blade to razor.

... Thom

My journey of discovery with this quartet of razors (Overlander, Athena, Tatara Masamune/Masadachi) continues …
Funny how we seem to be landing on the same 4 (plus Henson++ for me), but with slightly different preferences within that group. I guess because this group is more similar than different.

Equivalancy?

With those caveats, and reserving the right to change my mind at the drop of a hat (Galibier Rule #1) …
  • The Overlander and Masamune are close, with the Overlander being slightly more efficient.
  • The Masadachi and Athena are close, with the efficiency nod going to the Athena.
That sounds about right. I feel like Henson++ and Athena are both very efficient without being too prone to drawing blood, at least for me. Overlander too. (I really need to get back to that one!) In revisiting the Tataras, I'll be looking to see if Masamune can be as efficient as the others while remaining safe, and if Masadachi can be as safe as the others while remaining efficient.

So what?

I struggle to articulate these characteristics in ways that translate to experience others might have. The best way I can express this, is to comment how close to my daily shaver goal each of these four razors are (shaving 6 days/week).

The Athena is at best, two days in a row and switch. At the 3rd shave, things begin to spiral out of control. It’s plainly too much for me. I love the closeness of the shave and there’s a self-destructive lure to use it a 3rd and a 4th day in a row. I always end up regretting it.

Working down the heat scale, the Masadachi seems to allow me 4 shaves – perhaps 5 in a row.

The Overlander and Masamune … my daily drivers.
Probably why we have slightly different preferences within this group of razors, I'm content at 4 shaves/week. I'm not sure any would work for me 6 days/week though right now. But even if I don't shave 6x/week, it would be good if I could because that would probably mean my technique is better than it is now.

Onward!

I think the time has come to limit my exploration to the Overlander and Masamune, as well as to return to my Gamechangers - most likely the .68-P and .76-P base plates.
Ha, Game Changer is another one that's been on my radar. As the above-mentioned razors seem to be working for me though, I'm growing less interested in picking one up. But I'll be interested to hear how you rate the GC for efficiency and usability as a daily driver relative to the others when you go back to the GC.

It may take a couple tries to make a shim for the Athena, but just make sure it’s actually visible between the cap and blade when everything is assembled(or it won’t do anything).
I'll likely sandwich it between 2 blocks of wood, grab it with a vice grip, and go at it with a belt sander. The belt runs AWAY from you in case everything flies off.

Don't try this at home kids, and use eye protection ;-)

... Thom

IMG_4455.jpeg

Lambda Athena
Vintage English Light Brigade Wilkie (2)
Wald A1 Nimbus
La Toja stick
Southern Witchcrafts Carmilla splash

Last shave with the bronze Athena before I return it to its owner. I feel like some of the luster has come off it these last few shaves. Not literally - I removed the blade and dried everything off after each shave so it's still as bright and shiny as when it arrived. But I no longer feel like evaluations of my other razors would just be going through the motions to declare Henson++ and Athena as #1 and #2 (or vice versa).

I took the time to tread carefully today, much like my first couple of shaves that were so brilliant. But despite my extremely light touch, a plethora of little pinpricks appeared over my upper lip. Then a couple more on my chin, and even a couple on my neck. I can feel some skin tightness too, but it hasn't been that long, maybe it'll settle down. Sigh. At least I wasn't planning to shave tomorrow anyway. And it's probably good to be moving on to other razors for now.

I'll still most likely get myself a SS Athena in a couple of months. It really is unique. The design of the base plate with the fins allows it to easily shave several days of growth like an OC when needed, but it still has the feel of a SB. I like the audio feedback letting me know when I'm shaving at the ideal angle. The tiny gap of 0.34 mm and neutral exposure means you're unlikely to nick yourself, so any blood will likely be these little pinprick-type weepers. And while I'm a form-follows-function kind of guy, there's no denying the silhouette looks really cool.

I just need to know if the "real" Athena is the one that delivered some of my best shaves ever for the first 2 weeks, or the one that has largely given me grief for the last week and a half. At least it should be easy to resell if it's the latter.

Last edited:
Last shave with the bronze Athena before I return it to its owner. I feel like some of the luster has come off it these last few shaves. Not literally - I removed the blade and dried everything off after each shave so it's still as bright and shiny as when it arrived. But I no longer feel like evaluations of my other razors would just be going through the motions to declare Henson++ and Athena as #1 and #2 (or vice versa).

I took the time to tread carefully today, much like my first couple of shaves that were so brilliant. But despite my extremely light touch, a plethora of little pinpricks appeared over my upper lip. Then a couple more on my chin, and even a couple on my neck. I can feel some skin tightness too, but it hasn't been that long, maybe it'll settle down. Sigh. At least I wasn't planning to shave tomorrow anyway. And it's probably good to be moving on to other razors for now.

I'll still most likely get myself a SS Athena in a couple of months. It really is unique. The design of the base plate with the fins allows it to easily shave several days of growth like an OC when needed, but it still has the feel of a SB. I like the audio feedback letting me know when I'm shaving at the ideal angle. The tiny gap of 0.34 mm and neutral exposure means you're unlikely to nick yourself, so any blood will likely be these little pinprick-type weepers. And while I'm a form-follows-function kind of guy, there's no denying the silhouette looks really cool.

I just need to know if the "real" Athena is the one that delivered some of my best shaves ever for the first 2 weeks, or the one that has largely given me grief for the last week and a half. At least it should be easy to resell if it's the latter.
We seem to be traveling similar paths - me with the Athena and Masadachi and you with the Athena.

I run into a downward spiral of irritation with the Athena after the 3rd successive shave (daily shaving), where it takes me 4-5 successive daily shaves for this to set in with the Masadachi. The lure of both of them is great, in terms of super close and comfortable shaves, until I reach the above limits. I think both of these razors are Sunday drivers for me, at least with the current state of my skill development.

This recent round of experimentation has been with Astra SS (blues, from India) which have been more or less as intuitive as my German Personna Platinum Chromes. I could have used a Nacet on the Masamune, but I'm really glad I stayed away from it on the Masadachi.

For my 5th shave in a row with the Masadachi, I stretched the interval out to 48 hours. The the irritation was building up. I noticed that with this much growth, the razor was bouncing/skipping on the first pass. @T Bone and @spacemonkey42 advised a slightly firmer touch for this lighter razor head - firmer to control the head, while not adding more pressure.

Maintaining touch sensitivity and minimal pressure while controlling the head with a firm grip seems like an onerous task. Quite honestly, it's a skill that I think would take me many months to develop. Maybe I'm underestimating myself.

So for a daily driver (every 24 hours), the Overlander and Masamune currently fit the bill. On the more efficient side, I've been waffling back and forth between the Masadachi and Athena countless times. This recent "razor bounce" phenomenon with the Masadachi is pointing me back in the direction of the Athena.

... Thom

So, I have a new (to me) category: effective efficiency or usable efficiency. I'll explain in a moment.

I loaded Astra SS #4 into an Athena tonight. This was my first shave with the Athena since taking on the Tataras.

The shave was was OK to mediocre. Shave #4 on an Astra has been quite nice to date - to the point where I've debated a 5th shave on that blade. A 5th shave on a blade would be a first for me, and if I recall, the Astra is the only blade I've enjoyed a 4th shave on.

By now, I knew that the Athena demands respect from me - perhaps not as much as my Gamechanger(s), but still commanding my attention. I backed off and the result was a less comfortable, and less close shave than I've been getting with the Overlander.

It was less close because of what I'm calling effective efficiency - having to give the razor more respect - a lighter touch and no touch-ups for fear of damage. No way would I go ATG.

Looking back at my log, I've had 25 shaves with the Athena and 14 have been with the Personna Platinum Chrome. I also logged:
  • two nice shaves early on with a Gillette SS (7 O'clock Green)
  • three mediocre ones and one good one with a GSB
  • three bad ones with Nacets
  • one bad one with a Gillette Platinum
So, it looks as if I'll back off and park the Athena for a month or ten.

The Overlander has really set a high bar, which so far, only the Masamune has matched.

I'm more curious as to why I recently had such a disaster with my GC .68-P. For quite some time last Summer, I was debating between the .68-P and the .76-P base plates.

My money is on it requiring a different angle and my not being used to it.

... Thom

So, I have a new (to me) category: effective efficiency or usable efficiency.
By now, I knew that the Athena demands respect from me - perhaps not as much as my Gamechanger(s), but still commanding my attention. I backed off and the result was a less comfortable, and less close shave than I've been getting with the Overlander.

It was less close because of what I'm calling effective efficiency - having to give the razor more respect - a lighter touch and no touch-ups for fear of damage. No way would I go ATG.
Hmm, I think I get where you're coming from. For me at least though, giving a razor more respect with a lighter touch or less touch ups is a usually a good thing. And if it's because the razor is efficient, then the result is still likely to be a nice, close shave.

OTOH, as far as I'm concerned there's no point in a razor that I can't use ATG. So rather than giving the more aggressive razor respect by avoiding ATG, I do it anyway and pay especially close attention to a light touch, the proper angle, or whatever it takes to avoid damage. And if I can't figure it out in a reasonable number of shaves, then either I put it away for awhile, or someone gets a slightly-used razor for a nice discount. More likely the latter at this point - I have a couple of razors at least that I think I can work with, so I don't feel the need to keep others around that might be good enough some day. My technique is still improving for sure, but I don't think it'll be worlds better in 6 months or a year.

Last edited:
Tatara Masadachi CC (Masamune cap / Nodachi plate)
Nacet (1)
AP Shave 24mm G5C rocket engine
Southern Witchcrafts Desairology soap & splash
Stirling unscented glacial balm

Thanks for the bump by the way, @Galibier_Numero_Un, made this thread easy to find this morning! 🙂 I took a detour to take part in the Tale of Two Bridges PIF, trying out some new-to-me blades the past 3 weeks, but I'm back to finish evaluating and reducing my razor stash.

I'm using each razor with my favored Nacet blades for 2 weeks - 2 blades, 4 shaves each. Initially, I was using each razor with 1 Nacet and 1 other blade, but the Nacet shaves were always better, so I'm not taking the shaves with the other blades into account. Now I'll be doing 1 week each with my Tataras and Henson++ to get them their second Nacet shave, starting with the Tatara Masadachi.

I wish I could say it started out fabulously, but rather, it reminded me why I was leaning toward the full Masamune over this setup. I wasn't reaching for the stars chasing perfection or anything, but still wound up with a few mustache weepers, plus a couple on my chin. Even got one on my left cheek, but that had to be a blemish. Nothing lasted past the rinse and alum, but I'll need to be even lighter somehow for my next shaves.

Result is a DFS+ (8.5/10), with most of the remaining stubble in that pesky mustache/goatee area.

Last edited:
Hmm, I think I get where you're coming from. For me at least though, giving a razor more respect with a lighter touch or less touch ups is a usually a good thing. And if it's because the razor is efficient, then the result is still likely to be a nice, close shave.

OTOH, as far as I'm concerned there's no point in a razor that I can't use ATG.
Indeed, a lighter touch has served me well, and the only thing I call into question is how much better my technique can possibly get, to where the Athena doesn't doesn't have me questioning myself for using it.

If I'm getting such great results with my top 2
(Overlander and Masamune), when do I conclude that pursuing the Athena has nothing to do with learning and everything to with madness? We all know to overused definition of insanity.

So this boils down to the nagging question: how long it will take before improvements in my technique level off. Am I nearly there?

For many here (which includes me), learning occurs when you step over the line, so an alternate problem statement can be expressed as how willing you are to step over it to gain more knowledge. When do you know enough, or alternatively, what are you after and how much are you willing to pay for this "knowledge"?

I'm getting really close to putting the Athena on BST. Once I decide, I won't look back - not because I might have made the "wrong" decision, but rather pursuit of certainty doesn't serve me - that I can better dedicate my energies elswhere.

I find this approach to be a liberating operating principle. For me, it balances humility and understanding.

... Thom

If I'm getting such great results with my top 2
(Overlander and Masamune), when do I conclude that pursuing the Athena has nothing to do with learning and everything to with madness? We all know to overused definition of insanity.
That’s pretty much what I’ve decided. I like Henson++, Masamune, and Overlander a lot. I’m doing my due diligence with my other razors to see if any are in the same league. But I’ve been at this for 2.5 years now. My technique can still improve for sure, but I don’t think it’s going to improve by leaps and bounds, so it’s time to let go of any razors that can’t hang.

Barring a stupid-good deal on one of a select few razors, I’m unlikely to add any more to the mix either. The exception being an Athena. That one was a mixed bag for me, but the highs were high enough to justify further experimentation.

So this boils down to the nagging question: how long it will take before improvements in my technique level off. Am I nearly there?
Well, this is just my experience. I used just a Henson mild for like 8 months. I felt like my technique had leveled off and I got the other 2 Hensons plus a Lupo .58 around the same time, but used mostly the Henson medium for a few months more. When I felt like I’d hit a ceiling, I tried a bunch more razors. And I’m glad I did. Henson medium is probably still my top choice, but I think my technique is better from trying the others, and I’ve found a couple of razors in the same league, as I mentioned. I’m pretty sure I’ll keep improving (I hope!), but I’m 2.5 years in now, so probably not a whole lot.

For many here (which includes me), learning occurs when you step over the line, so an alternate problem statement can be expressed as how willing you are to step over it to gain more knowledge. When do you know enough, or alternatively, what are you after and how much are you willing to pay for this "knowledge"?
Yes! I learned a lot from trying new razors. Even if Henson remains my #1, I’m better off for having tried the others.

I'm getting really close to putting the Athena on BST. Once I decide, I won't look back - not because I might have made the "wrong" decision, but rather pursuit of certainty doesn't serve me - that I can better dedicate my energies elswhere.
Also agreed. There’s always some lingering doubt, could I make this razor work? But the reality is: maybe, but if I gave it a reasonable try, it probably wouldn’t ever surpass my favorites.

That’s pretty much what I’ve decided. I like Henson++, Masamune, and Overlander a lot. I’m doing my due diligence with my other razors to see if any are in the same league. But I’ve been at this for 2.5 years now. My technique can still improve for sure, but I don’t think it’s going to improve by leaps and bounds, so it’s time to let go of any razors that can’t hang.
Yup, looking at my learning curve over the past 6 months, it's certainly leveling off.

Only those razors I consider to be at the margin might benefit from any minor improvements in my technique. The Athena and Gamechanger seem to be falling into this category for me.

My recent difficulty with the Gamechanger came as a bit of a surprise, and I'll no doubt run some more laps with it, since last Summer, I thought it was at my upper tier. I may well have forgotten its angle.

Well, this is just my experience. I used just a Henson mild for like 8 months. I felt like my technique had leveled off and I got the other 2 Hensons plus a Lupo .58 around the same time, but used mostly the Henson medium for a few months more. When I felt like I’d hit a ceiling, I tried a bunch more razors. And I’m glad I did. Henson medium is probably still my top choice, but I think my technique is better from trying the others, and I’ve found a couple of razors in the same league, as I mentioned. I’m pretty sure I’ll keep improving (I hope!), but I’m 2.5 years in now, so probably not a whole lot.
I jumped off my AL13+ after about 6 weeks ... into a GC .68-P and .84-P. Shortly thereafter (last Summer), I picked up a .76-P base plate. I landed my Overlander last September (2023), and could have stopped there, but you know ... you have to step over the line to know where the line is :letterk1:

I'm really glad that I borrowed a Tataras, and I can easily see myself with one.

Also agreed. There’s always some lingering doubt, could I make this razor work? But the reality is: maybe, but if I gave it a reasonable try, it probably wouldn’t ever surpass my favorites.
I've found this approach to work well in my professional life as well. Possibilities can be endless, and paralysis from analysis can ensue with your ending up accomplishing nothing.

Learning how to accept the risk of being "wrong" so you can move on was a revelation to me.

... Thom

you have to step over the line to know where the line is :letterk1:
Yup. Of the 20+ razors I've now tried, a few were definitely over the line, but I'm glad I tried them all.

I've found this approach to work well in my professional life as well. Possibilities can be endless, and paralysis from analysis can ensue with your ending up accomplishing nothing.
(RE: cutting ties with a razor.) This is about where I am now with the Henson+++. While it's a very good razor that I'd be just fine with if all my others suddenly vanished, I think the ++ suits me better. Still, I haven't pulled the trigger on listing it yet.

Tatara Masadachi CC
Nacet (2)
AP Shave 24mm G5C rocket engine
Proraso green soap
Stirling unscented glacial balm

Much better shave today. Just a couple of mustache weepers and 1 on my chin, so better than Friday. Got that chin nice 'n smooth too, so the only stubble left in on the 'stache and part of my neck. 9/10 BBS-.

If I wind up keeping Tatara for the Masamune, I'll surely keep the Nodachi plate around too.

Top Bottom