What's new

Yates 921-M vs Rex Envoy vs Slim Adjustable

I’m having a hard time trying to decide between these razors. I really enjoy my current Slim. I have a 1964 (my dad’s birth year and quarter) that arrived with uneven blade gap on one side. I fixed it and it shaves wonderfully. I’ve had Slims in the past but haven’t appreciated them really until now with this 64. I find it has perfect balance. My example is pretty nice with very minimal plate loss. The T-bar had some plate loss and slight corrosion but I’d imagine it’s a great example to send it for a replate.

Basically I’m trying to decide between one these razors OR just send the Slim in to get restored and replated to make it “new”.

I’m still trying to find my favorite setting on the Slim but I’ve been enjoying 3-4. 3 is slightly tuggy on certain parts of my face due to my coarser hair but nothing crazy that creates irritation or a bloody mess. I’ve also have been trying multiple blades. I have some PermaSharps coming (can’t beat the $10 for 100 on Amazon!). I also shave every weekday with the occasional shave on the weekend. I feel setting 5 might be the sweet spot for me.

Does anyone have experience with these 3 razors?

Thanks!

I haven't tried the Envoy, but many say it's quite good. I have the 921-H (not M) and it's excellent. For mild and a bit less money, I would recommend the Yates Merica. Really, really good razor IMO.

Maybe I am wrong but most modern razor designs are based off old Vintage Gillettes.

Some people realize a Vintage pair with Right blade for them produces great results.

JMHO

Do you need to get the Slim restored? It sounds like it's in pretty solid working condition. If you really love it and want it to be perfect, then do that. But if the Slim is good as-is, you could instead wind up with two great razors and have a different experience. Between the two moderns, both are very good. Pick the one you think looks coolest or the brand you like better.

I have a Slim but honestly, I don't use it very often. It gives a fine shave. It's in near perfect original condition and I like to keep it that way.

I had a Yates with M and H plates but traded it for a Tatara Masamune. Although many love the Yates, I just wasn't satisfied with the comfort or the efficiency of the shave I got with it. The Masamune was great but just not quite up to my top-tier razors so I sold it.

I had an Envoy but sold it. It gave a great shave but was a bit on the aggressive side and I have others I prefer overall.

You say you really enjoy your Slim, so why not get it refurbed? Or jump down the rabbit hole with the rest of us. It's fun down here. Just don't forget your wallet.

To save you from asking, the razors that have made my top tier are the Lambda Athena, Karve Overlander, Timeless .95, and the Blackbird standard, and Lite. I have no number one among those four; every time I use one of them I say it's number one, until I use one of the others, then it's number one.

Do you need to get the Slim restored? It sounds like it's in pretty solid working condition. If you really love it and want it to be perfect, then do that. But if the Slim is good as-is, you could instead wind up with two great razors and have a different experience. Between the two moderns, both are very good. Pick the one you think looks coolest or the brand you like better.
That fact you have your own razors and you’re recommending others and saying they’re very good speaks volumes to me.

I’m going to check your razors out as well. Would you recommend the normal Blackbird or the Lite for daily shaving given I like the 3-4 possibly 5 setting on the Slim?

That fact you have your own razors and you’re recommending others and saying they’re very good speaks volumes to me.

I’m going to check your razors out as well. Would you recommend the normal Blackbird or the Lite for daily shaving given I like the 3-4 possibly 5 setting on the Slim?

I try to be unbiased and add value when I can.

I think Blackbird Lite is going to be closer to what you're looking for. Original Blackbird is the upper ranges of the Slim or beyond. Mid-level on the Slim is approximately Lite territory, though the Lite is a probably a bit more efficient.

I'm not into adjustables, although I have a Fatboy that I use occasionally, but always on the same setting.
My 'daily driver' is an Envoy, which I really like, and highly recommend.

I am a big Yates fan M and H (mostly H). I had the Envoy but didn’t care for it. I have a Slim under my sink but never use it. You might want to also consider the Blackbird as well. Superb razor and a real performer.

Makes sense. I read or heard somewhere that the M plate shaves very similarly to the Merica. For me the Merica is really, really good, and the 921-H is just a touch more efficient (and with a bit more blade feel).

Makes sense. I read or heard somewhere that the M plate shaves very similarly to the Merica. For me the Merica is really, really good, and the 921-H is just a touch more efficient (and with a bit more blade feel).
I pretty much only use the H plate. I find it to be the closest to my Blackbird in performance….which is spectacular.

All Gillette adjustables shave well. Of those I’ve used I would rank them:

1. Post ‘77 SuperAdjustable (“Black Beauty”); 2. Pre’ 77 SuperAdjustable; 3. Slim; 4. Fatboy. I’ve never shaved with a Toggle.

Stay with the Slim and pick up a SuperA. You won’t be disappointed

Maybe I am wrong but most modern razor designs are based off old Vintage Gillettes.

Some people realize a Vintage pair with Right blade for them produces great results.

JMHO

I don't think any of my razors are, other than the basic design. They all seem to be influenced by Henson/Overlander/Merkur 34C.

I don't think any of my razors are, other than the basic design. They all seem to be influenced by Henson/Overlander/Merkur 34C.

Vintage Gillettes were the inspiration to work out of box, or take basic design to next level. The problem is if you are wise you will snag a vintage or two to use, tweak performance with blade choice. When you find your couple of UTOPIA or GRAIL Razor if you heave on funds you will replace, restore, and have some special never to be made again.

Sort of like day I am at a car show, gentleman and I are talking about his barn find Porsche Speedster, that he restored do frame off full restoration. Some know nothing kids asks why is this 57 Speedster so special. I said see that, point to New $400,000 Lamborghini, park across parking lot.

I said if you got $400,000.00 you can have that new, in any stock color, this Speedster is classic, fully restored 1957 model, and owner said it not for sale, its my Grail Car.

Top Bottom