What's new

Yaqi: Two Band Badger or Silvertip?

I have a Yaqi two-band badger, silver tip, and high mountain white, all as 24mm but all in different handles. Of the three, my clear favorite is the two-band badger. Here are my subjective opinions as a bowl-latherer, and placing them in order of my favorite to least favorite.

Two-band (fan style): soft on the face, dense, not floppy, has that bit of 'scritch' that is just right, releases soap well, easiest of the three to load (particularly with harder soaps), splay is fine but does not do so as easily as other two (this is a mark in its favor to me). Overall word for it: Ideal.

Silvertip (bulb): very soft, not floppy, pillowy on the face, releases soap well, marginally less dense than the two band. Overall word for it? Plush.

HMW (bulb): not as soft as silvertip, not as dense as two-band, splays the best of the three, marginally the most floppy without being floppy (if that makes sense), delivers soap to the face better than the other two. Overall word for it: Efficient.

Of the three, the two-band was the cheapest when I bought it only sale (~US$12 for two-band, ~$16 for HMW, ~$22 for silvertip—again, all were from the amazing sale of Nov. 11). Pretty much unbeatable performance and value for the price.
This seems pretty accurate. Although I have yet to try the HMW yet and it just sits in my drawer... I'll take it out some day.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Another option...

AP.Gel.Brush.New.10-14-19.640.JPG

...especially if soft is high on your radar. But, also a lot more expensive than a Yaqi.

For me, the jury is still kinda sorta out on this brush. One thing I know for sure is this: As much as I like large brushes (24 mm and up, including 28 mm and 30 mm), if I were buying one of these now it would be much smaller than the 28 mm brush I bought.

This brush requires a slowish drying period and wouldn't be suitable as a one brush "rotation."

I also see that the prices have increased significantly since I purchased mine not that long ago. For what these are going for I'd much rather have another 28 mm Zenith Manchurian.

It might feel almost too soft.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Not that I'm avoiding buying any more brushes you understand, but...

I could pick only four or five brushes and get by just fine!

To be truthful and transparent I wouldn't be comfortable deciding on which brushes would make the cut for being included in the four or five I could get by with until a couple of brushes in transit arrive and are evaluated.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Another option...

View attachment 1074611

...especially if soft is high on your radar. But, also a lot more expensive than a Yaqi.

For me, the jury is still kinda sorta out on this brush. One thing I know for sure is this: As much as I like large brushes (24 mm and up, including 28 mm and 30 mm), if I were buying one of these now it would be much smaller than the 28 mm brush I bought.

This brush requires a slowish drying period and wouldn't be suitable as a one brush "rotation."

I also see that the prices have increased significantly since I purchased mine not that long ago. For what these are going for I'd much rather have another 28 mm Zenith Manchurian.

It might feel almost too soft.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Looks very nice.

I looked at the APShaveCo brushes a week or two ago but for some reason I thought they only made synthetics, which are priced well enough to tempt me. I see they have a few badger/boar mixes as well. I'm not quite so sure about them.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Looks very nice.

I looked at the APShaveCo brushes a week or two ago but for some reason I thought they only made synthetics, which are priced well enough to tempt me. I see they have a few badger/boar mixes as well. I'm not quite so sure about them.

MiixedMidget.MightyMidget.ProrasoPro.480.4-20-19.JPG

Wes, I have the little Omega Mixed Midget (far left). It's a lather monster, but has too much scritch for me to really greatly enjoy it. It's probably boar and best, rather than boar and finest (like the AP).

I'm not kidding about how well it makes lather!

So, I'm not sure about them either. Maybe there are some review?

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have a Yaqi two-band badger, silver tip, and high mountain white, all as 24mm but all in different handles. Of the three, my clear favorite is the two-band badger. Here are my subjective opinions as a bowl-latherer, and placing them in order of my favorite to least favorite.

Two-band (fan style): soft on the face, dense, not floppy, has that bit of 'scritch' that is just right, releases soap well, easiest of the three to load (particularly with harder soaps), splay is fine but does not do so as easily as other two (this is a mark in its favor to me). Overall word for it: Ideal.

Silvertip (bulb): very soft, not floppy, pillowy on the face, releases soap well, marginally less dense than the two band. Overall word for it? Plush.

HMW (bulb): not as soft as silvertip, not as dense as two-band, splays the best of the three, marginally the most floppy without being floppy (if that makes sense), delivers soap to the face better than the other two. Overall word for it: Efficient.

Of the three, the two-band was the cheapest when I bought it only sale (~US$12 for two-band, ~$16 for HMW, ~$22 for silvertip—again, all were from the amazing sale of Nov. 11). Pretty much unbeatable performance and value for the price.

I also acquired 2 Yaqi brushes during the 11.11 campaign.
In my case, I ordered a Acqua 2-band (24mm) and a Moka 2-band (26mm).

Both for ~€11 each, both amazing performers - and at that price, simply hard to beat.
Both have nice density, more than enough to give them a nice amount of backbone and perform beautifully even with hard soaps. Large knots that splay a little bit and give you the feeling of using a larger brush than they really are. :D

The differences? The 26mm Moka tends to splay a little more, and has slightly less backbone than the 24mm Acqua. The latter feels like a better balanced brush, IMHO, and I tend to like it more, but by a small margin, and both are part of the rotation, as I like and enjoy both. :D

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have the black Yaqi 24mm Silvertip, and I really like it. It is very soft and splays easy which I prefer. But some would prefer them more dense than this one is? What do you seek in a brush?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm considering a Yaqi badger. What's the difference between two band best badger and silvertip? I've read that pure badger can be scritchy. Is this true? I don't want scritchy but I don't mind backbone if the tips are soft. I almost always face lather.

All opinions welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Have you decided on a brush?

Also, what's your budget?

I think you've said this, but I've forgotten, so I'll ask. Are you a bowl latherer or face latherer or both?

What type of handle and size of brush (knot size and overall size) have you thought of getting.

3-19-20.BrandNew.ZenithSilvertip.640.JPG

My newest badger is a Zenith silvertip, but I can't use it until April. It's very soft. I've been told the backbone is great, but I can't confirm it.

The brush below is not one I have...

1584832127412.png

However, I have a couple of MS 30 mm silvertips (not the extra dense ones). They're soft but with enough scrub and backbone to suit me. I've considered getting an MS extra dense two band and an MS extra dense silvertip. Not that I need a brush or brushes.

I like this style handle a lot.

Both Zeniths and MS brushes are found on eBay. Zenith is also sold by a Spanish vendor. I've used all the vendors without issue.

These might be beyond your budget. I like my Yaqi and Stirling two band and finest brushes just fine. They're plenty soft enough for me. There are other budget brands I've tried but wouldn't buy again or steer you towards, but you might like brushes I hate and vice versa.

I don't have any brushes in the best category, or the pure category, and am not likely to get any. I know Simpson best can be very good (according to some folks) but most say best or pure isn't good enough for them. Two band, finest, and silvertip are the badgers I've used and liked, but I've not tried every brush in every brand (and who has?).

None of the terms describing badger hair have universal, industry wide meaning.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Have you decided on a brush?

Not yet, but I'm swaying towards a Yaqi silvertip, if I in fact get a badger before a synthetic but I won't be getting either right now.

Also, what's your budget?

The least I have to pay for good quality. Yaqi seem to fit the bill and the handles are nice too. I wouldn't want to pay much more than the price of a Yaqi badger.

I think you've said this, but I've forgotten, so I'll ask. Are you a bowl latherer or face latherer or both?

Face latherer but after loading I get the lather started off in a small bowl, 30 seconds to a minute, then face lather and add water if required at that stage.

I can't see a huge difference between the Yaqi two band or silvertip, not even in price. Perhaps I'll flip a coin when I come to buy.

Top Bottom