What's new

Yaqi: Two Band Badger or Silvertip?

I'm considering a Yaqi badger. What's the difference between two band best badger and silvertip? I've read that pure badger can be scritchy. Is this true? I don't want scritchy but I don't mind backbone if the tips are soft. I almost always face lather.

All opinions welcomed. Thanks in advance.

I have both. Both great by I prefer the two band.
I have a High Mountain White Silvertipe and Two Band Mocca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have their synthetic only. It’s supposed to go 3 pure - 2 two band - 1 silvertip but people like what they like.
I prefer silvertip in general but like I said I don’t have a Yaqi Badger.

I have their synthetic only. It’s supposed to go 3 pure - 2 two band - 1 silvertip but people like what they like.
I prefer silvertip in general but like I said I don’t have a Yaqi Badger.

Similar question. What is it about the silvertip in general that you prefer?

I do not have a Yaqi brush, but often you will see two-band badger labeled as "Finest" rather than "Best". Some people even say that a two-band finest is just a three-band silvertip that has a wider dark region than normal. I have a Maggard two-band SHD that is every bit as soft as the three-band badgers I have.

Similar question. What is it about the silvertip in general that you prefer?
Of the ones I have they’re softer yet have some grit, I guess. When I want to lather quickly I grab my silvertip otherwise I use a synthetic. The two band I have is a bit stiffer and the “best” Muhle brush is about the same but feels like it’ll last forever. I like em all really.

I do not have a Yaqi brush, but often you will see two-band badger labeled as "Finest" rather than "Best". Some people even say that a two-band finest is just a three-band silvertip that has a wider dark region than normal. I have a Maggard two-band SHD that is every bit as soft as the three-band badgers I have.

So are all silvertips three band best as well? I know very little about badger brushes and don't own any. There's very little difference in the price between Yaqi two band best and silvertip so what are the differences between the hair? I'm not concerned with whether one is better than the other, just how they differ.

The Yaqi two-band (aka Finest) is much softer than the usual Pure grade but has more scrubbiness than a Silvertip would. I prefer the two-band -- it is soft enough.

I have both Yaqi and really cannot tell the difference. They are not as soft as other "silvertips" but have more backbone...

Of the ones I have they’re softer yet have some grit, I guess. When I want to lather quickly I grab my silvertip otherwise I use a synthetic. The two band I have is a bit stiffer and the “best” Muhle brush is about the same but feels like it’ll last forever. I like em all really.

That's great, thanks.

When you say softer but with some grit, what do you mean by grit?

The Yaqi two-band (aka Finest) is much softer than the usual Pure grade but has more scrubbiness than a Silvertip would. I prefer the two-band -- it is soft enough.

Thanks.

Soft enough. But not as soft as a silvertip? Is there a trade off for the extra softness?

I have both. Both great by I prefer the two band.
I have a High Mountain White Silvertipe and Two Band Mocca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I own several of these in two-band and in Silvertip. Here's the conclusion I've reached:

Two-bands will soften up and become virtually indistinguishable from a Silvertip (when new). The Two-bands have more backbone and therefore, unless you want a soft and possibly floppy brush in the future (silvertip), then the two-band will not only be a nice final product, but it will also be a cool journey.

I definitely love the silvertip, but for the price and performance, the two-band wins for me as well.

Agreed. I own several of these in two-band and in Silvertip. Here's the conclusion I've reached:

Two-bands will soften up and become virtually indistinguishable from a Silvertip (when new). The Two-bands have more backbone and therefore, unless you want a soft and possibly floppy brush in the future (silvertip), then the two-band will not only be a nice final product, but it will also be a cool journey.

I definitely love the silvertip, but for the price and performance, the two-band wins for me as well.

That's very useful to know. Thanks.

Top Bottom