What's new

Yaqi Telstar? Good, bad or other?

I watched on Youtube a video of a gentleman who was shaving comparing the Yaqi Mercury heads with the Testlar.

Using the Mercury head to shave he had no problems, with the Teslar he was full of cuts and blood all over his face that I feared the worst for him.
He commented writing that he did not like the Teslar because he had not encountered these injuries in in his previous shaves.

Can you recommend which handle in combination with the Testlar to handle it well?
As I said in post #3, you have to shave with the Telstar heads using a steep angle. Otherwise there will be cuts. It took me a couple of shaves before I remembered that @Ron R mentioned in another thread he got excellent results when he changed to steep angle with this razor.

Do you have an R41?
For you to get the idea it would be better to say what razors you have and then I will tell you how the Telastar compares to them.
Here it is the R41 2013 head, when the guy sold it to me three years ago he told me it was exactly that 2013 model however it doesn't look like ZAMAK to me, I didn't know it was of this material.

IMG_20240507_132811.jpg

Are there different models of R41 2013 with different construction materials?
IMG_20240507_132630.jpg

There is also the R41 2011 what is the difference?

Last edited:
Here it is the R41 2013 head, when the guy sold it to me three years ago he told me it was exactly that 2013 model however it doesn't look like ZAMAK to me, I didn't know it was of this material.

View attachment 1842121

Are there different models of R41 2013 with different construction materials?View attachment 1842120

There is also the R41 2011 what is the difference?
Your head is ZAMAK plated with chrome.

There are 3 ZAMAK R41 heads. 2011 - the most aggressive. 2013 - a bit tamed. And around 2019 they have made the head even milder. This is done by making the plate and the cap wider. Many shavers think they have the 2013 but they actually have the latest milder version introduced around 2019.

There is also the R41GS razor, which is made of stainless steel. Its aggressiveness is between the 2019 and the 2013. But closer to 2013.

Your head is ZAMAK plated with chrome.

There are 3 ZAMAK R41 heads. 2011 - the most aggressive. 2013 - a bit tamed. And around 2019 they have made the head even milder. This is done by making the plate and the cap wider. Many shavers think they have the 2013 but they actually have the latest milder version introduced around 2019.

There is also the R41GS razor, which is made of stainless steel. Its aggressiveness is between the 2019 and the 2013. But closer to 2013.
I didn't know there was a newer 2019 version of R41.
By eye would you say my head is 2013 or newer model 2019?

So confirm that yaqi telstar is milder than my R41 then I will purchase it.

I didn't know there was a newer 2019 version of R41.
By eye would you say my head is 2013 or newer model 2019?

So confirm that yaqi telstar is milder than my R41 then I will purchase it.
Many users don't know there is a newer version.
Nobody can tell you by eye which is your head. Measurements only can tell you.
Info on the differences Muhle R41 (ZAMAK head) changed - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/muhle-r41-zamak-head-changed.627847/

Upon closer inspection of your photos I see some burrs and irregularities on your cap. I have 7 or 8 Muhle heads and none has this. I think it is very probable the guy who sold you that head sold you a Chinese R41 imitation. These were available for some time.

Take my advice. Do not buy a Telstar if you don't like aggressive razors. Even though it is milder than any of the R41 heads, it is still an aggressive razor. A bit more than medium aggressiveness.

Maybe a Yaqi scalloped head? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32849342978.html
A bit more aggressive than a DE89 / R89. Might need little manual alignment from time to time.

Last edited:
Many users don't know there is a newer version.
Nobody can tell you by eye which is your head. Measurements only can tell you.
Info on the differences Muhle R41 (ZAMAK head) changed - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/muhle-r41-zamak-head-changed.627847/

Upon closer inspection of your photos I see some burrs and irregularities on your cap. I have 7 or 8 Muhle heads and none has this. I think it is very probable the guy who sold you that head sold you a Chinese R41 imitation. These were available for some time.
You say it' s a Chinese clone??! I hadn't noticed these smudges, if so really the guy who sold it to me was very good at cheating me by telling me it was a 2013 R41 head, he passed it off as good and original.
Take my advice. Do not buy a Telstar if you don't like aggressive razors. Even though it is milder than any of the R41 heads, it is still an aggressive razor. A bit more than medium aggressiveness.

Maybe a Yaqi scalloped head? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32849342978.html
A bit more aggressive than a DE89 / R89. Might need little manual alignment from time to time.

Thank you for your advice!
I have several head including this one you called Yaqi scalloped, I don't know if it's always Chinese but my head doesn't have the Yaqi brand stamped on it, I'm sure it's the same head I own.
I am going to get my bearings and go expeditiously on the purchase of the Yaqi Mercury head, which is apparently somewhere between Merkur Progress and a Henson.

You say it' s a Chinese clone??! I hadn't noticed these smudges, if so really the guy who sold it to me was very good at cheating me by telling me it was a 2013 R41 head, he passed it off as good and original.

Thank you for your advice!
I have several head including this one you called Yaqi scalloped, I don't know if it's always Chinese but my head doesn't have the Yaqi brand stamped on it, I'm sure it's the same head I own.
I am going to get my bearings and go expeditiously on the purchase of the Yaqi Mercury head, which is apparently somewhere between Merkur Progress and a Henson.
You see a head with a particular shape and you think it is the same. There are hundreds of DE89/R89 imitations. The fact you see the same shape of head doesn't mean they shave all the same. That is why I am pointing you particularly at the Yaqi scalloped head.
Unfortunately I can't tell you anything about the Mercury head, since I don't have it.

I just have to confirm these imitation of Muhle R89 and Edwin Jagger DE89 head ,the look the same but have a different blad gap that makes them more or less aggressive.

For buying at least three of them over the years I must like them, even though I haven't been using them recently.
I didn't even remember having three different ones.

Top Bottom