What's new

Yaqi Bohemia

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Will shave again on Saturday, maybe I should have got one of these heavy monster handles that Yaqi and some others offer, too.

Have nice easter holidays, I will visit or rather more often get visited by family and relatives, not in every case that interesting or wanted, but well! :)

Hey hey! I shaved with the "2" side up using a 3rd run BIC. The results were mixed for me. The oversized kangaroo bars and the overall mildness messed with my brain a bit and i gave myself some nicks trying to find the optimal angle. But it IS mild.

Once the optimal angle is found it shaves quite effectively without any bladefeel. I felt stupid for nicking myself once I managed to dial in the angle. A baby could have used this with less problems. Overthinking messes you up.

The handle is brilliant, as @Iridian mentioned. Overall shave result is above average. For the looks and the funky factor, paired with a smoother blade, this is a nice addition to the den. Especially for the price during the sale. It reached me in sauna like Singapore pretty damned fast.

The razor just arrived. Will shave tonight. Loaded a Dorco Prime and switched the bumper, sorry baseplate, to "2" from side "1". This is supposedly 0
95 vs 1.35 gap. Also got myself some stands, not just for the Bohemia, also one for my Romulus, no longer hanging in the test tube holder. 😀

View attachment 1819562

Philips Oneblade in the background looking a bit ominous.
Iridian, this looks like its growing to emulate the Terracotta Army. Awesome Array of Razors. Love it.

Will shave again on Saturday, maybe I should have got one of these heavy monster handles that Yaqi and some others offer, too.

Have nice easter holidays, I will visit or rather more often get visited by family and relatives, not in every case that interesting or wanted, but well! :)
Waiting for a Review of the next shave. I love the big handles too, 14 mm and more would be my desired choice and defy 4 inches or over. I love the Razorock Handles but nowadays find them a bit small in my hands after experimenting with handles from YAqi, DSCosmetic and even West Coast Shaving (Their 79 S is fantastic).

Have A blessed Easter Iridian and hide the Easter eggs from the relatives, let them embark on an easter Egg hunt while you chill with a Bourbon or a Beer.
This razor is pretty much the opposite of what I prefer in a razor. It's got a huge head, long handle, and is heavy. Very heavy, 132g. It's an interesting looking razor that I liked the looks of but wasn't planning on picking one up, but here we are. I like the idea of trying a razor like the vintage Bohin. I have no idea if it shaves like an original.

The razor is solid, but feels balanced with good grip. I decided to start on the lower gap of .95 since this was the first shave, flip the plate and the gap is 1.35. New Rapira Swedish Super steel loaded and this shaves smooth. It's weird I feel blade but barely. I'm not sure if it's due to the massive comb on the guard but it's hard to judge the blade feel. You can tell it's cutting because you can hear it. It has a wide angle, I used it steep and tried different angles to shallow and it's hard to judge by feel and ended up steep. The razor works well for me all over untill you get under the nose and the nostrils. I ended up going in at an angle cross grain into the nostril. No nicks, but I did get a small spot of blood under the nose trying to squeeze the large head using pressure to go north and south. It stopped using alum.

This is only after the first shave, but it's still no stubble after 12 hours. I really want to flip the plate to the larger gap tomorrow just because I can. The .95 side felt gentle. I rode the comb trying different angles on a heavy razor with a long handle that would most likely draw blood on other razors. This razor is really unique looking and the more I look at it, the more it grows on me. It looks like someone stole the grill from a 40s Buick Super and used it as the blade guard. I normally like using lighter razors with shorter handles, but this really does feel good with the long handle and weight. 3rd image shows a Lupo 95 on the Timeless crown handle which is 90mm.

View attachment 1608309

View attachment 1608317

View attachment 1608318
Lovely review, now Temptation strikes again but alas I missed out on this during the Sale.

Second shave with Bohemia.

I was actually going shave tomorrow but yesterday's experience with little harsh blade feel made me thinking about the reason. I changed Rockwell blade to new Rubie. What a difference it made ! Shave felt smooth and comfortable with much less blade feel. Did only one pass, had not much stubble to mow from yesterday's.

I bought this razor for its very unique look. Hoped secretly it will shave well. Dream come true ! :clap:
Got new daily driver !

View attachment 1756067
Tell me about the Rubie. I love Wizamet Super Iridium, Feather, Nacets, Gilette Platinum, Voshkod and the Persona Comfort Coated Blades. Somehow The Gillette Blue, The Astra Green and the Rockwell Blades didn't work for me. Never used a Gillette Rubie before.

Tell me about the Rubie. I love Wizamet Super Iridium, Feather, Nacets, Gilette Platinum, Voshkod and the Persona Comfort Coated Blades. Somehow The Gillette Blue, The Astra Green and the Rockwell Blades didn't work for me. Never used a Gillette Rubie before.
I'm not a guy who can talk about fine details of blade properties - smoothness sharpness. Almost all blades feel the same for me. Only unusable blade was GSB everybody is raving about. And bad blade is Rockwell , but usable. My main criteria is longevity.
Rubie is a very good blade. 15-35 shaves for me.

My Bohemia arrived today - gunmetal finish. Seems very high quality, no sharp edges, fits together well. The "2" side being up feels (to my thumb and eye) like it has a slightly higher gap than the "1" side facing up towards the cap. Excellent blade clamping, tabs are covered. Will try it out tomorrow or Monday. So far, looks like a really nice razor

Sunday's head and face shave
Bohemia, Rubie (14), Macca Root & Aloe, Brossi a/s

DSCF5955_1.JPG

Bohemia has on non-shaving fault. It is hard to make all the grooves on head and handle clean to make it photogenic an nice for big macro photo shot...
You cannot see that filth with bare eyes. But zoom it up and all is visible.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Yaqi Bohemia / Dorco Prime, aggressive side (engraving "1" seen from below, "2" under the loaded blade)

Bohemia2.jpg

Wow! This shave was quite different the the first with the mild side I used by accident. Many thanks again to @Halfbeard for pointing out that the "2" side has to be "under" the blade, and "1" seen from below to have the aggressive setting of the flip-plate.

Instead of an already significant 0.95 gap that is very mild, milder than a Mellon SS, the 1.35 or 1.45 gap of the more aggressive plate also has some more blade exposure that makes all the difference. It also allows for a slightly steeper shave, both things I like.

At the same time, it is super safe despite the huge gap, the massive "bumper" comb is very protective. Blade choice might be important, I believe with a Feather instead of a Dorco I would have cut myself. But this was a very good match, so I got a very clean shave, an easy BBS. I will check tomorrow morning if the shave is lasting or regrowth quick, as I promised @ClumsyBull.

I like the Bohemia even more than my more aggressive razors Harlequin and Duomo. This is a surprise, besides its rather special design that appeals to me it turns out to be a very good shaver. @Shaun asleep

Highly recommended. Feels like a more aggressive Lambda razor, despite totally different design. 🥰

Iridian

Cool and slimy
BBaseplate.jpg

The number is a bit better to see without the handle, but one must really look closely.

The lobby of the shave is there, but noticed that the sides of the chin, or rather jaw next to it, there I was a bit sloppy to hold the angle. The bulky had was no problem under the nose, interestingly, but at this part of the face I will pay more attention next time.

But cheeks and particularly my usual problem spot, the neck, are fine.

Also had a great morning run in my new Salomon Genesis trailrunners! 😀

I'm not a guy who can talk about fine details of blade properties - smoothness sharpness. Almost all blades feel the same for me. Only unusable blade was GSB everybody is raving about. And bad blade is Rockwell , but usable. My main criteria is longevity.
Rubie is a very good blade. 15-35 shaves for me.
I think that answers my question, thanks mate. I don't know much about the specs and tech aspects of a blade either but I do go by the result. The problem is that sometimes trying out new blades is a bit of a bummer, I don't like the GSB, the Rockwell Blades or even the Astra Green for some reason. Have always felt that the Sharper blades result in less tugging and fewer passes.

Yaqi Bohemia / Dorco Prime, aggressive side (engraving "1" seen from below, "2" under the loaded blade)

View attachment 1821304

Wow! This shave was quite different the the first with the mild side I used by accident. Many thanks again to @Halfbeard for pointing out that the "2" side has to be "under" the blade, and "1" seen from below to have the aggressive setting of the flip-plate.

Instead of an already significant 0.95 gap that is very mild, milder than a Mellon SS, the 1.35 or 1.45 gap of the more aggressive plate also has some more blade exposure that makes all the difference. It also allows for a slightly steeper shave, both things I like.

At the same time, it is super safe despite the huge gap, the massive "bumper" comb is very protective. Blade choice might be important, I believe with a Feather instead of a Dorco I would have cut myself. But this was a very good match, so I got a very clean shave, an easy BBS. I will check tomorrow morning if the shave is lasting or regrowth quick, as I promised @ClumsyBull.

I like the Bohemia even more than my more aggressive razors Harlequin and Duomo. This is a surprise, besides its rather special design that appeals to me it turns out to be a very good shaver. @Shaun asleep

Highly recommended. Feels like a more aggressive Lambda razor, despite totally different design. 🥰
Excellent review and am really interested in trying out the Bohemia now. I wonder how this would work with a Voshkod or maybe a Persona Comfort Coated.

Voshkod could work IMO, don't know the Personna.
Makes sense. I used to favor Feather, Kai and Voshkods only till I discovered the Wizamet Super Iridium and the Gillete Platinum in the black packaging. Love the latter two. I picked up the Personna Double Edge Stainless Steel(Comfort Coated) Blades after watching a few Youtubers rave about it. Discovered that you can throw them into any Razor and the result is always great. They are sharp enough but have this level of smoothness that makes them so easy to use. I roughly get about 4 or 5 great shaves from them.

Try them out, really worth it.

Top Bottom