What's new

Ya like Dags? My foray into wet shaving and the honorable order of aquisition

[MENTION=103898]CBLindsay[/MENTION] you need to ask Josh about the MWF. It is the modern version of Yardley IMHO. :)

Saturday, 29 October, 2016 – PannaCrema Nostalgia – Straight shave #53

I lathered up last night with Henri et Victoria’s Cognac and Cuban Cigars and the Stirling 24mm Finest. Since I shaved just 7 hours earlier, I think my skin was still in recovery, as there was a slight burning sensation from the soap/brush, which is strange because the tips on this brush are incredibly soft. It eventually toned down, which makes me think it was indeed the brush. I’m pretty sure it was just too close in time to my previous shave, vice the brush being too irritating. Splashed on some of the matching ASB and some PAA Cavendish on top.

Prep: hot shower, Stirling Gentleman
Pre-shave: Baume.be Pre-shave Gel, hot towel
Strop: 3” Premium Red Latigo strop, CrOx sprayed hard felt strop from SRD
Razor: Torrey 5/8” shoulderless
ATG neck Razor: ’55 Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip
ATG neck Blade: Personna Blue Lab (4)
Soap: PannaCrema Nostalgia
Brush: Rudy Vey 26mm Butterscotch “Chubby” TGN 2-band Finest
Bowl: The Shaving Place Mountain Blue Glazed lather bowl
Post-shave: alum, cold towel, Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Fine L’Orange Noir
Fragrance: Terre D’Hermes EdT
Album of the Day: Of Monsters and Man - My Head is an Animal
Song of the Day: Dirty Paws
View attachment 698965

Long days are just a fact of life out here, as my normal work day is 14 hours long. Sometimes it catches up to you, and the sleep troll takes over. I’ve been doing this for a long enough time that it’s definitely catching up with me. Needless to say, I slept in again today, which isn’t that big of a deal, as I was still on time to work. I usually get up about 2 hours before work call in order to have a nice, relaxing time getting ready. I also had next to no whiskers to shave, so it didn’t really seem necessary. Of course, by 4pm, the stubble was bothering me, so I broke away for a shave and shower. I again reached for the Torrey, as I’m very much enjoying the edge I was able to achieve, and I want to take time to get to know this fun, lightweight razor. I paired the Flare Tip Super Speed with it for the ATG and any clean-up that might be necessary. The first two passes with the Torrey went great, and I was sitting at a CCS+. I loaded up the Flare Tip and things just went downhill from there. This is my 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Flare Tip, as the first one is to be gifted. This one does not shave as well nor as smooth as the other one. I walked away with 6 weepers on the ATG pass. I was only DFS after this pass, and lathered up again for some clean-up, knowing that irritation was going to be the result. I think I was just frustrated with the weepers, as I just ignored the obvious irritation I was causing. I was still only DFS after the clean-up, so I grabbed the Torrey to get those spots I could with it, and walked away BBS, albeit with the alum and AS registering an eye-watering 6/10…rightly deserved. I think this is the last time I’ll reach for the Flare Tip, as the ’55 Blue and Red Tips as well as the ’53 Super Speed give so much more smooth shaves. Not sure what I’ll do with it, but I do need to find another ’55 FT to replace it. (I’m guessing that there may be something mechanically off with the razor, either the doors not compressing the blade enough or the safety guards being a little out of whack) Not a big deal in the grand scheme, I knew what I was doing to myself. I look at it like I did my drinking when I was younger…getting blitzed every so often to the point of no return, and the resulting sickness/hangover are good reminders why it’s NOT a good idea, and to practice self-restraint and discipline. (I know that word is taboo…but I think it’s ok in this context) I chased, and though I did achieve a BBS all over, (silk tested too!), the amount of irritation and weepers downgrade it to just a DFS.

I’ve been listening to Of Monsters and Man at work over the past week and change, and it’s just great music, well put together melodies and harmonies that are positive. The album leads off with the song “Dirty Paws”, and it’s come to be one of my favorite songs off of the album, so gets the nod for song of the Day.

On a separate note, Newcastle played their league match against Preston North End today and ground out a 2-1 victory at PNE. According to the commentary, they were outplayed in the first half, but scored two goals through their striker, Alexander Mitrovic midway through the second. They did concede a 90’ consolation goal and had to scramble to maintain the victory, but they got the job done in the end and secured all three points. This maintains their three point lead at the top of the table, and opens up a six point lead on the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] place team, realistically 7 if you count goal differential. Next up is Cardiff City at home on Saturday, giving them a full week for training, which is unusual in the Championship.

Nice Read Josh, sorry about the irritiation

Thanks Dave...I have no one to blame but myself for the irritation. The weepers I'm not so quick to take responsibility for however...just bought another '55 flare tip that hopefully shaves a bit better than the current one.

Sorry to hear about the pain, Josh, but great setup and read. :thumbup:

Thanks Eric. The irritation was compensation for my bone-headedness. :thumbup1:

So with the irritation, weepers and most importantly, the late shave, I'm not too sure that I'll get a shave in today. On top of those reasons, I'm feeling my face, and I'm still BBS in a few spots and DFS everywhere else...this is 17-18 hours after shaving. It was nice to get to BBS...not so sure the irritation was worth it however. I threw some Pinaud on this morning and there was still some sting, even though I hadn't lathered, let alone shaved. I think my face has deserved the day off, so the most I might do is my nightly lather tonight after my shift. It's Sunday anyways, so a good day for a reset.

I did a very quick lather up last night with Stirling's Orange Chill. The lather was typical Stirling...but the scent is pretty nice, with a gentle kick of menthol. Not super strong like I've heard the glacials are or my tub of Arctic Wyrm, but enough that you know it's there. I was very ginger with the brush, using the synthetic I had, and even then was still a bit tender. The mentholated soap was an inadvertently perfect product for my face due to the cooling effects. I'm going to have to pick up one of their cooler soaps for those days when I'm too stubborn to practice some self-discipline, although I'm not so sure it's going to be the Orange Chill...I'd like to pick up the Iced Pineapple, but there were no samples available.

I AM going to find an hour or so throughout the day today to devote to the hones. I started on one of my razors, but it needs quite a bit more work to get where it needs to be...where I want it to be.

Have a great Sunday everyone...and unless your football team is playing the Pats...I hope they win...unless it hurts me in my fantasy league...lol. :thumbup:

Glad Newcastle won their match. Watching the Pats as I write this.

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the 2nd Flare Tip. Sounds like a day off would be good and the shave has lasted well.

Iced Pineapple sounds like the same level of menthol as Orange Chill. I like the level of menthol in it compared to the Glacial Lemon Chill, which can be over-the-top unless it is sweltering out. Have a good night!

Taking a day off is probably best if you're still getting sting from the Clubman, but it's nice to feel that smooth this long after the shave.

Have a Great Sunday as well Josh!

Thanks Dave!

Glad Newcastle won their match. Watching the Pats as I write this.

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the 2nd Flare Tip. Sounds like a day off would be good and the shave has lasted well.

Iced Pineapple sounds like the same level of menthol as Orange Chill. I like the level of menthol in it compared to the Glacial Lemon Chill, which can be over-the-top unless it is sweltering out. Have a good night!

I think they discontinued the Iced Pineapple, unfortunately. All good though, the Orange Chill is still a good soap. I do want to try one of their glacials and see how it stacks up with some of the other heavily mentholated soaps.

Taking a day off is probably best if you're still getting sting from the Clubman, but it's nice to feel that smooth this long after the shave.

I knew I was experiencing a pretty close shave, but to feel BBS over much of my face 18 hours later was pretty surprising. The day off was a good thing, though, as my face did need the rest.

So after a no-shave Sunday due to time issues and irritation from the previous day’s shave, I was definitely looking forward to the shave in the morning. I had already decided what equipement/software I was going to use, but I was able to finish up another razor last night and debated switching it out with the Torrey. I decided against it, however. For the nightly lather, I grabbed one of my samples that I have yet to finish, Mickey Lee Soapworks Drunken Goat, and my 26mm synthetic and was able to get a nice full, rich lather. Like the other MLSW soaps, it did not seem as slick as some of the other soaps that I have in my modest stockpile. While the scent is enjoyable, it doesn’t really pair with anything I have as it’s very sweet smelling. It was a nice product to sample, but not something that I will be purchasing a full tub of.

Prep: hot shower, Stirling Gentleman
Pre-shave: Baume.be Pre-shave Gel, hot towel
Strop: 3” Premium Red Latigo strop, CrOx sprayed hard felt strop from SRD
Razor: Torrey 5/8” shoulderless
ATG neck Razor: ’53 Gillette Super Speed
ATG neck Blade: Personna Platinum (1)
Soap: Stirling Autumn Glory
Brush: Stirling 24mm Finest
Bowl: The Shaving Place Mountain Blue Glazed lather bowl
Post-shave: alum, cold towel, Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Old Spice Original
Fragrance: Hot Water by Davidoff
Album of the Day: Manchester Orchestra - Simple Math
Song of the Day: Leave It Alone
View attachment 699400
As I mentioned, I was looking forward to the shave this morning. Yesterday was the first day that I had not shaved in over 3 months, and the stubble was…distracting. For Halloween, I could not have picked a better scent, as I very much associate Halloween with the smell of fall and leaves off of the trees. The Torrey’s edge was still good, especially after the stropping session I gave it last night, 75/150. The Stirling 24mm picked up a good bit of lather after 30 seconds of loading, and like I have come to expect from Stirling, produced a nice slick lather for the shave. This morning was a full 4 pass shave, 2.5 passes with the straight and a full fourth pass with the DE. There was next to no feedback from the alum outside of the normal areas, (moustache and neck area), and I walked away with a BBS. Not quite a grail shave, as it didn’t pass the silk test. The Old Spice paired up well with the warm Autumn Glory scent, with the Hot Water by Davidoff rounding out the post shave routine nicely.

Manchester Orchestra was a snap decision, as I was looking for something quickly and didn’t feel like combing through the entire music library. It’s a fun album, and while no song really stuck out, the song that was playing as I finished up gets the pick for song of the day.

I should start to see some of my orders from the auction start to roll in here in the next few days as well as a couple of other orders I've made recently. Mail call today consisted of some injector blades for the injector I got in the mail the other day. It cleaned up quite nicely and is ready to go with a new blade already in place. I hope everyone has a great Halloween!

I've really got to try that soap. I love the smell of Autumn and it sounds right up my alley. Great shave and read, Josh, and looking forward to seeing some pics of the upcoming mail call contents. :thumbup:

I've really got to try that soap. I love the smell of Autumn and it sounds right up my alley. Great shave and read, Josh, and looking forward to seeing some pics of the upcoming mail call contents. :thumbup:

I like the scent, and of course it's a Stirling soap, so performance isn't an issue. I'm not sure it's worth a full tub purchase however, for me at least. That could change of course, the more I use this sample up...lol.

Very Nice Shave Josh, and a good thing to finish up with the DE. Good Call. Nice choice of Software, Hardware and a nice photo to boot. A good Monday!

Very Nice Shave Josh, and a good thing to finish up with the DE. Good Call. Nice choice of Software, Hardware and a nice photo to boot. A good Monday!

Thanks Dave, it was a great start to the Monday. I was a little rushed this morning, but had already planned on using the DE for part of the ATG and clean up pass. Had to have some redemption from the bloody Saturday debacle! I'm just glad the equipment didn't get into the Halloween spirit and spill some blood.

Top Bottom