What's new

Ya like Dags? My foray into wet shaving and the honorable order of aquisition

Hey Josh,

Very good review of the 2016 Sue Moore soap. Lots of positive reviews of the soap for performance if the EO is not irritating (@skypsyd). Sounds like you had a very good shave with the touch up provided by the DE. Very nice mail call today to get the Eiko back restored and the new to you Jerngoblat. Looking forward to your write-up with the Eiko tomorrow.

Thanks Pete...I think I might be sensitive to the EO/FO in this soap, but not overly so like Dave. The performance makes up for it in spades, however. I think with the increased sensitivity, it might be a soap where I use DE's when I pull it out to decrease the amount of possible irritation. The Eiko lived up to the expectations!

Fantastic read Josh

Thanks Dave!

Beautiful! Tomorrow's shave should be epic! I wouldn't blame you for using the soap 2x in a row for the close of the auction. :)

I took your advice on the soap Tom and used it once again this morning. It really is a good preformer.

Eiko, Eiko, Eiko! I'm hearing an eiko are you? :lol: The edge on the Eiko is every bit as nice as the MK31, you will really enjoy this blade and the shape is just cool and fun. I will warn you to go a bit slower tomorrow, as the blade is quite different from what you've been shaving with. The edge Karl put on mine was absolutely amazing!

I did go slower this mornign and was rewarded with a great shave! It's going to get pulled again tomorrow...
Hey Now, Hey now Eiko Eiko all day... :a5:

lol...thanks Rich!

Friday, 22 October – Through The Fire Fine Crafts Currants and Rose Sue Moore Tribute soap – Straight shave #46

Last night was pretty uneventful, and the nightly lather again consisted of the St. Sue soap by TTFFC. No noted burning, so it seems like it was a once off. Again a wonderful lather using the Simpson Colonel X2L was the result and topped off with the matching AS splash. I was looking forward to the morning shave with the newly received Eiko…

Prep: hot shower, Stirling Gentleman
Pre-shave: Baume.be Pre-shave Gel, hot towel
Strop: 3” Premium Red Latigo strop, CrOx sprayed hard felt strop from SRD
Razor: Eiko 6/8”
Soap: Through The Fire Fine Crafts Sue Moore Currants and Rose tribute soap
Brush: Rudy Vey 26” Butterscotch “chubby” TGN Finest 2-band
Bowl: The Shaving Place mountain blue lather bowl
Post-shave: alum, cold towel, Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Through The Fire Fine Crafts Sue Moore Currants and Rose tribute Aftershave
Fragrance: Sung Homme by Alfred Sung
Album of the Day: Genesis - Turn It On Again, The Hits
Song of the Day: Land of Confusion
View attachment 697071
I actually woke up a bit late, but due to not having to strop the blade it didn’t impact my timeline at all. St. Sue got the call again this morning for the shave, and it once again gave up a great lather. I didn’t soak the RV brush this morning due to the soft consistency of the soap and had to add a bunch of water to get the lather right. I applied the lather and grabbed the Eiko to start my first pass, aware of how scary sharp it was. I noticed a bit of a tingle, but it stopped almost as soon as I noticed it, and I became completely involved in what I was doing with the blade.

The Eiko is quite a heavy razor, with a much different balance point than the smaller and nimble Mk 31 I’ve been shaving with. With that being said, finding the right angle of attack seemed almost intuitive with this razor. It effortlessly and quietly plowed through the lather and whiskers. By the time I was done with the XTG pass and rinsed, I noted that I was at a DFS- already, with zero perceived irritation. The weight of the razor made it very easy to not use any pressure. The ATG pass was a little tricky, as some of the grips I was using with the CVH weren’t as comfortable with this razor. I finished up the ATG pass, knowing that I did get a little steep on my angle in a couple of spots. I gingerly grabbed the alum bar, expecting those spots to scream at me, and instead it was only a 1-2/10 feedback, while the rest of my face and neck was at a 0/10. I did only get to a DFS+, as there were some spots that I just couldn’t get closer on the ATG pass, but I’m fine with that. All in all, I’m extremely happy with the blade and look forward to tomorrow morning’s shave with it. I stropped the blade 30/30 on the nylon/leather and put it up. I used the same software set up as yesterday, so the matching aftershave splash went on, followed by the Sung Homme.

The music today was provided by Phil Collins and Genesis, one of the staple bands of the 80’s. This album, included many of the songs from Invisible Touch. My favorite song from them, “Land of Confusion”, fits the country I’m in right now, as they just have no clue out here. The song brings up memories of watching MTV when it was actually playing music videos, and the DC Follies puppets that were the actors….great memories of Ronald Reagan dressed up as Superman…

Now that is a perfect way to end the shave work week! Glad the razor worked out well for ya. It is quite the beauty!

Very Nice Josh, and glad the soap is not irritating in a big way/ Yes all you need to do with the Eiko is place it on your face and let it drop through the whiskers. Good Stuff!

Saturday, 22 October – Stirling Blu– Straight shave #47

I really can’t say that yesterday was any different than any other day out here. Groundhog Day is a real thing, and happens every day out here. One bright note, however, is being able to change the gear up. Yesterday allowed me to go back to some of the Stirling Samples that I have sitting in my room for the nightly lather. Hot Apple Cider got the call last night, and the wonderfully sweet scent of fresh pressed cider surrounded me as I lathered up. I didn’t sense the change in scent that I did before, which is a good thing. Previously it had altered to a slightly acrid smell, (like cider turned slightly bad, or fermented cider), but I didn’t detect any of that this time around.

I had planned on taking a 2 hour nap then getting up to check on my bids in the auction before the 8pm ending time. Yeah, that really didn’t happen. I woke up three hours after the auction had ended, fully expecting to have lost out on the four items I had bids in on. The nice thing is when I went to check, I found that I won all four, to include the Bog Nymph soap package by [MENTION=103898]CBLindsay[/MENTION] . I had donated five items to the auction as well, and all went for more than market value, so I’m pretty happy with the results of the auction. I’m pretty excited for all of the items I won, particularly as I won 2 unobtanium products…a tin of the original P.160 Tipo Morbido and a NOS tin of Martin de Candre, (the pop-up auction). I guess I could throw the Bog Nymph soap in there as unobtainium as well, since Chris only has a small amount left. The last item was a Schick Injector with the case and box…not NOS, but a very nice injector. This will be the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] injector for me, as I have another coming in the mail. I’m looking forward to trying them out, as I’ve yet to try a SE razor. I was pretty shocked at some of the prices, both high and low, for some of the items. The M&F brush I figured would have gone for much more than the $200 that it ended at, and Dave’s targeted English Fern went for a pretty hefty $233. It’s awesome to see, and know that 100% of the proceeds go towards breast cancer research. Great job everyone!

Soap: Stirling Blu
Brush: Rudy Vey 26” Butterscotch “chubby” TGN Finest 2-band
Aftershave: Stirling Blu Aftershave
Fragrance: Polo Blue EdP
Album of the Day: Pearl Jam - Ten
Song of the Day: Black
$SOTD20161022.jpg
This morning was the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] shave with the Eiko, and while I did walk away with a couple of nicks/weepers, (mirror images of each other on either side of my moustache area), the shave was actually much better than yesterday…very close to a BBS. (a little ATG stubble and the nicks make it only a DFS, however). There was a little more irritation than yesterday, mainly from me experimenting with different grips to attack those areas that I have problems getting to. I’m ok with this, as the irritation goes away pretty quickly after the shave. The Eiko was a bit smoother today than yesterday. That might seem counter-intuitive considering there was more irritation and a couple of weepers vs. none yesterday, but it just felt more smooth, while still as keen. I can tell I’m going to really enjoy this razor.

For the sound track, I turned the clock back to my early high school days when Pearl Jam Ten came out. I can remember riding the swimming bus with my Sony Walkman blasting a cassette tape of Ten on the way to practice…then that summer blasting the same music over a radio in the back of the Sporting Goods store I worked in while doing silk screened shirts and sports jersey’s. Just great memories, though probably the best song on the album, Jeremy, I can’t listen to and enjoy anymore because it was played so much on the radio back then. Black is by far my favorite song on the album, and it was nice to hear it again, as it’s been a few months.

Great shave story Josh and a wonderful ending! That's going to be a fun razor for you I know, and it looks beautiful restored. I know you are looking forward to tomorrow's shave :thumbup:

Thanks Dave! Karl did an amazing job on it, and having this razor professionally honed tells me that I'm very close to where I need to be on my CVH.

Now that is a perfect way to end the shave work week! Glad the razor worked out well for ya. It is quite the beauty!

Thanks Tom! When I saw the Eiko that was loaned to Dave by [MENTION=75490]imatabor[/MENTION] I knew I was going to have to own one eventually, and found one that needed some work for a good price on that auction site and pulled the trigger.

Very Nice Josh, and glad the soap is not irritating in a big way/ Yes all you need to do with the Eiko is place it on your face and let it drop through the whiskers. Good Stuff!

Thanks Dave! It's amazing how easily it takes the stubble down!

Excellent pic, write-up and selection of gear! That is one nice looking razor!

Thank you Pete! It's a fun razor to use!

Dave is an enabler for sure!!

That's the understatement ofthe year...lol. Dan's got my number for enablement, however...those swedes are hard to lay off of!

That is great to hear!

Thanks Dan! Just have to find time to devote a little more stone time to it, as well as the rest of my blades.

Great stuff Josh. I love the look of those Eiko's, and hope to have one someday. Beautiful razor!

Thanks Eric! It's certainly a fun razor to shave with. The blade length is much shorter than many of its western counterparts, and it's a very heavy wedge grind, so the audible feedback is almost non-existent. But man is it ever efficient at taking the whiskers off!

Sunday, 23 October – Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood Cream – Straight shave #48

Work resulted in a long night last night, and I debated not going through my nightly lather-up and face wash after I was done, but relented to routine and grabbed the Stirling Piacenza sample that I had remaining. There was very little left, just about to become a donut in the dish I have it in. The lather was predictably great, as was the scent. I laid out what the planned shave was for the next day and knocked out…

Soap: Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood Cream
Brush: Excalibur Rustics (Rob Gubber) 24mm Super Silvertip
Aftershave: Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: Acqua di Parma Colonia Oud
Album of the Day: R.E.M. - In Time: The Best of R.E.M.
Song of the Day: Orange Crush
$SOTD20161023.jpg
Sleeping in a little normally isn’t a big deal…until it is closer to 2 hours sleeping in. At that point, the normal morning routine goes out the window. I checked my alarms, and they were on and working normally, so I guess I had gotten out of bed to shut them off. I was only 10 minutes late for my normal work call, so not too big of a deal. Later on in the day, I was able to break away for the shave. I grabbed the Castle Forbes, as I haven’t used it in quite a while, along with the Excalibur Rustics Silvertip. This brush has very little backbone, but is ultra-soft, and is great for creams. Paired with the Castle Forbes, it whipped up a luxuriously creamy lather, though the first pass ended up being a bit drier than I normally like. The Eiko was ready to go after 40/80 on the strops, and was still as keen and smooth as ever. I did catch myself on my chin going XTG, but that was all on me as my concentration wandered for a second. It wasn’t too bad, so I waited until after the pass was done to throw the styptic pen on it. After all was said and done, I got a DFS out of the shave, and was pretty happy with it. The alum was a little vocal around the moustache, but all in all not too bad. I topped off the shave with the matching ASB, and some AdP Colonia Oud, with a spray to each wrist and one on the collar and one on the shirt. All in all a good shave.

The music was provided by R.E.M., and their In Time album. It covers all of their hits from 1988-2003, so songs like Man In the Moon, Losing My Religion, It’s the End of the World (As We Know It) are all on there. Orange Crush got the nod today for Song of the Day as it was the only one that I stopped the shave to listen to. Have a great Sunday everyone!

I actually really like this fragrance. It has moderate silage and the longevity, on me at least, is about 5-6 hours. As expensive as a full bottle is, I'm glad I only went for the sample size, as I would prefer to get SWMBO's opinion on it. I know she likes me wearing citrus scents, so the Aventus clone/Polo Blue/4711's that I have aren't an issue, but an oud might illicit a different reaction from her...especially if I buy a full bottle.

Very nice write-up Josh. Nothing like the realization that you missed the alarms and you are not exactly sure how it happened - mix of being startled, confusion and adrenaline.

Glad you were able to get in the shave with the Eiko and the CF cream. The wedge or near wedge grind does shave differently - not better than a full hollow, just differently. Very cool.

Very cool music. I used to listen to REM quite a bit years ago - early 90's. Lots of good songs forcsure.

Very nice write-up Josh. Nothing like the realization that you missed the alarms and you are not exactly sure how it happened - mix of being startled, confusion and adrenaline.

Glad you were able to get in the shave with the Eiko and the CF cream. The wedge or near wedge grind does shave differently - not better than a full hollow, just differently. Very cool.

Very cool music. I used to listen to REM quite a bit years ago - early 90's. Lots of good songs forcsure.

I don't think I "missed" the alarm so to speak as I shut it off in a sleep induced haze without realizing it. LOL

I've found the wedge grinds shave seem to shave much more smoothly, but that may be because of the lack of noise. I will say that it seems easier to encourage irritation, for me at least, because keeping the spine closer to the skin causes the suction of the blade to face.

nice shave and write up, also interested in your take on the oud from AdP. great Music Big REM fan here

Thanks Dave. This review from Basenotes sums up my experiences (without having tried other oud frags myself) with the AdP Colonia Oud Concentree pretty well:

"Opening is mostly citrus with a touch of something sweet, but within 30 minutes the Oud, spice and cedar wood kicks in and makes this fragrance ultra fantastic. It's sweeter than one might expect and not dark or as warm as some of the other Oud fragrances I have sampled. It's really elegant though, and although some reviews describe this as a synthetic oud, I can't complain at all about it. It's just a great scent.

Dry down is a slowly developing musk, but the scent retains most of the middle heart notes and stays almost the same throughout. Really good longevity, and I smelled this on my wrist and clothes 12+ hours later. "

That Eiko is so cool looking! :thumbup1:

That's what got me interested in it at first...now I love it because of the shaves it gives!!

Monday, 24 October – Dapper Dragon Arctic Wyrm

Last night, since it was only six hours or so after the shave, I ended up not lathering up, but instead threw on some witch hazel and some old spice on top. The thinking behind this was to avoid too much exfoliation in a shorter period of time and reduce any lingering irritation with the WH and AS. The shave was still holding strong, with many spots on my face still feeling BBS, and DFS everywhere else, so I wasn’t sure what to do about the morning shave. I was only going to have 12 hours or so in between shaves, and most likely wouldn’t have much more stubble than I had at that point.

Razor: Maggards VR3 w/ Maggards MR5 handle
Blade: Personna Blue Lab (3)
Soap: Dapper Dragon Arctic Wyrm
Brush: Simpson Colonel X2L in Best
Bowl: The Classic Edge scuttle in creamware
Aftershave: Dapper Dragon Ice Wyrm Scale Polish | Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Fragrance: Cool Water by Davidoff
Album of the Day: The Darkness - Permission to Land
Song of the Day: Stuck in a Rut
View attachment 697724
As I had thought, the stubble really wasn’t all that bad, pretty much being DFS/CCS everywhere. With that in mind, I ended up deciding to go with one of my more mild DE razors, one that I have not used in over 2 months. The Maggards VR3 head got the call, paired up with the Personna Lab Blue. I kept it to 2 passes, XTG/ATG, and the results were a great BBS with zero feedback from both the alum and the AVIB. I pulled out the scuttle as well for this morning’s shave, as I love the contrast of the hot lather with the cooling menthol. All in all, a great shave, not quite grail quality, but close. I layered some Cool Water on top of the AVIB, which did so quite well. I’m not expecting it to last very long, but for the meantime, I’m enjoying the little bubble of smell good surrounding me.

The Darkness. The name doesn’t give very many clues as to what type of music it is. But there hasn’t been very many singers since the Bee Gee’s Barry Gibbs to effectively use falsetto in contemporary music, and be commercially successful doing so. Justin Hawkins pulls it off, and it gives quite a twist and shine to what would be a normal, mundane hard/glam rock band. The songs sound like they might be a bit quirky, but the lyrics are actually pretty strong. Musically, they harken back to some of the hair bands of the late 80’s and early 90’s, with quite a few contemporary influences. In a similar mould to Electric Six, you can tell this band is all about having fun with the music they write and play. The result is a quite enjoyable collection of songs. Stuck in a Rut seemed to fit the location out here, as it’s the same thing day after day after day. Time to make the donuts…………….

Josh your shaving adventures are pretty incredible! Your incorporation of jnats has my AD rising as does the bigger blade have been wanting to try one. Who do you send out your razors to when you go that route? I saw the name Karl? There are a few of my nicer razors that I'd like to have done by a pro and just maintain. Others are my projects but I just can't bring myself to hurt a fine instrument just yet...

Top Bottom