What's new

WW2 movies...name the better ones

+1 more for Das Boot. Such a great film.

Tora! Tora! Tora! IIRC has a good Gillette scene at the beginning!

How about Empire of the Sun? I don't know that it's one of the greatest WWII films, but it's good.

I really like The Thin Red Line.

I am in the minority.

I liked it, too. In fact, I have a copy in my collection. I don't know why so many people give it the cold shoulder. It's well done. Maybe it's not the type of WWII film people have come expect. I'm not really a fan of Jim Caviezel, but I found him pretty good in this one.

Tony, we seem to have very similar tastes in film and music.:thumbup1:

Documentaries & Series
  • The World at War (1973) series

For you young folks, you might not have had access to this when it ran in syndication. It's an absolute must for anyone interested in the war. Your public library probably has it. At 26 hours, it's a major investment in time, but worth it.

With an IMBD rating of 9.7, it's the highest rated item I'm aware of there. (Their top rated movies Shawshank Redemption and The Godfather rate 9.2 by comparison.)

Maybe this....Japanese

ttp://www.mysoju.com/japanese-movie/1942/

1942. Malaya. Sgt. Yasuo Fujii, a war cameraman, is huddled in a trench, waiting to film the Japanese 6th Army cross the Slim River on its way south to Kuala Lumpur. An enemy mortar shell lands in the trench and, in a heartbeat, Sgt. Fujiiis running through the jungle for his life. Armed with nothing except his 8mm camera, the young soldier soon hooks up with remnants of the scattered 6th Army. Together with three soldiers, he must race against time to get a fatally wounded soldier back to the division in Kuala Lumpur. However, everything starts to go wrong and they get lost in the maze-like jungle. All their maps are wrong and their radio malfunctions. Sgt. Fujii starts sighting mysterious figures through his camera viewfinder, and a female ghost starts to haunt them. Survival is at stake and the ghost is hot on their heels. Will they make it to safety?

For you young folks, you might not have had access to this when it ran in syndication. It's an absolute must for anyone interested in the war. Your public library probably has it. At 26 hours, it's a major investment in time, but worth it.

With an IMBD rating of 9.7, it's the highest rated item I'm aware of there. (Their top rated movies Shawshank Redemption and The Godfather rate 9.2 by comparison.)

I was glued to this series when it ran 10/10

Three other movies where John Wayne's character dies? In reverse order.

The Shootist

The Cowboys

The Alamo.

There may have been others but they do not come to mind right now.

Regards, Todd

Sorry guys. I was answering a question in an earlier post. Should have used the quote feature.

Last edited:
Kelly's Heroes: I remember going to the theater to watch it and loved oddballs character so much that I wanted one of the leather aviators helmets so bad that my parents gave me one for christmas. I still have it to this day.

The Sands of Iwo Jima
Tora, Tora, Tora
Midway
Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima
The Bridge Over the River Kwai
Saving Private Ryan until the invasion scene ends
Band of Brothers
World War 2 in HD: love all the private footage they found
Memphis Belle, even though the real Memphis Belle's last run wasn't over Bremen but Kiel.
Most people don't realize that the army eighth air force lost more men in the airwar over Germany than the Marine Corps lost in the Pacific. 47k casualties and 26k dead.

Did anyone mentioned the great anti nazi classic farce by Ernst Lubitsch; " To be or not to be" ? With Jack Benny and Carole Lombard. A must see

Open sequence of Saving Private Ryan was the most realistic portrayal of war ever recorded, aside from actual footage of war. This is according to a retired Army Colonel who served 3 tours in Viet Nam.

Well, yes and no. The beach obstacles are the WRONG WAY AROUND! Lol, I always cringe when I see that, funny how they made an elementary mistake like that? But otherwise is it is very gripping to be sure.

So, my favourite war movies are said Saving Pvt. Ryan, The Cross of Iron and Talvisota (Winter War). There is actually much longer version of Talvisota which is meant for television broadcast, it's in several parts a bit like BoB.

Oh, another Finnish classic is The Unknown Soldier, there are two versions, one from the 1950s (B/W), and another from 1980s (?). The new version might be easier to acquire.

Other recent Finnish War movies are: Ambush, Tali-Ihantala 1944 and Beyond Enemy Lines (not sure about the English title?) These are not great hollywood heroic drama (well, obviously), but more documentary, small budget, and based on the true stories of the veterans.

Maybe our friends across the pond can answer this? When I saw it her on Public Television years ago their was a hint at follow-up say the BoB and such with the series. Did that ever happen? seems like it should have gone on....

Another one I thought of was the one about the Channel Island being taken over by the Germans also.

'From here to eternity'.

Awesome flick for the boys to watch with the girls ;)

Miles above anything 'Pearl Harbor' tried to recreate.

Burt Lancaster, Frank Sinatra and Montgomery Clift

Did I mention Sinatra was in it?

Also I love the Pianist, even if only for the ending credit piano shot.. o.0 and it may have been a Polanski film

Last edited:
Anyone mention 49th Parallel ?

A damaged U-boat is stranded in a Canadian bay in the early years of World War II. The Fanatical Nazi captain and his crew must reach the neutral United States or be captured. Along the way they meet a variety of characters each with their own views on the war and nationalism.

Maybe our friends across the pond can answer this? When I saw it her on Public Television years ago their was a hint at follow-up say the BoB and such with the series. Did that ever happen? seems like it should have gone on....

Another one I thought of was the one about the Channel Island being taken over by the Germans also.

You mean the Pacific? It was follow-up in the sense it got the same producers (Hanks?) and imitated the format. It was supposed to be the BoB of the Pacific. I have it on DVD, but frankly it's not as good as BoB. In fact it's more like Eastwood's Flags of our Fathers. Ok but not great. Of the two Eastwood films, I prefer Letters from Iwo Jima, to be honest. Fresher perspective and all that.

Late to the thread, per usual. A great collection of films put together. I would like to add: Fires on the Plain and The Burmese Harp.

I, too, like The Thin Red Line.

Piece of Cake that was the name of a BBC /Brit series about RAF pilots early on in 1939 through the "phoney war" and ended about the timeframe of the fall of France. Thought they were going to follow on the story line. Also was a BBC one about the Channel Islands being occupied by the Germans that was pretty good.

You mean the Pacific? It was follow-up in the sense it got the same producers (Hanks?) and imitated the format. It was supposed to be the BoB of the Pacific. I have it on DVD, but frankly it's not as good as BoB. In fact it's more like Eastwood's Flags of our Fathers. Ok but not great. Of the two Eastwood films, I prefer Letters from Iwo Jima, to be honest. Fresher perspective and all that.

Also here on the old cable I can get TV5 from France and while my French is sadly lacking I am amazed that many times I can actually get through a show with some idea of what is actually going on,, words phrases perhaps and at time I get lucky and they subtitle, either way it has been great news programs and such. And they had or have a series going on about the events people and dealings of a occupied villiage in WWII. Its been been pretty good also.

Top Bottom