What's new

Oscars

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
One can pray that it's a trend!
No one wants to voluntarily watch someone constantly tell you that they think you're stupid.
Especially if I am!

But seriously folks..... I have not seen a movie in a theater that I specifically went to see because of the reviews since one of my best pals was still alive.

I had read a review of an Oprah Winfrey movie that I believe she produced, and definitely starred in. To this day I believe the Flint Journal's main movie critic gave it his highest rating just to get a shot at werkin' for the Detroit Free Press or an even bigger market. I probably agreed with his reviews 99.99999% of the time.

I will let my bladder burst before I get up to use the facilities during a movie.

This time was no issue. I think I went twice.

My late bud was a LOT like my older brother: they both were/are actors and know good from bad.

After the credits rolled, I waited to hear his take on the movie. I didn't want to prejudice him (not that he'd have ANY problem disagreeing with me about ANYTHING; He was the best kind of friend.)

He looks at me and says, "You owe me $5. That was the worst waste of my time EVER in a theater!"

Man, I miss him. Died of AIDS. And he had it before Magic Johnson! So a tough son of a gun. With the softest heart I ever had the privilege of knowing.

I went into that movie thinking that it would be at least as good as "The Color Purple" and I would have a reason to watch the Oscars!

Nope, but at least I had a great night with an old friend, and a great laugh every time we were together after that.

Thanks for the memories friend @The Knize !

As to the Oscars in the future:

This ol' werld is leavin' me behind. I am so OLD now. I have been reading (mostly REreading) old books from the past, knowing the ending, but seeing new twists of phrases, or details in the settings, etc.

I enjoy doing this, much like eating comfort foods when I get melancholy, or it's cold outside, under a quilt in me LazyBoy!

So my time watching any Award Shows will be just for the off chance that one Actor is going to physically assault another Actor, since sappy Hallmark Movies are never nominated for anything, dern it!

Just finished reading Opposable Thumbs, the story of Siskel and Ebert. I think part of the Oscar's downfall is that there are no longer clear voices directing viewers to good, substantive pictures. Rain Man, a best picture winner, was also a top grosser. That combination happens so rarely anymore. It's not because the latest Avenger movie was snubbed, but because we have fewer trusted voices.

Top Bottom