What's new

Words and Phrases that really annoy

"Rare Photo" like you see teased about a celebrity on a entertainment or news website.

It's the digital age. There are no rare photos. Everyone can have as many copies of any photos they want, instantly.

As a traditionalist host, I often offer a beverage or snack to guests.

I come to find out that the new form of "courteous declination" is NAW, I'M GOOD.

Not NO THANKS. Not NO THANK YOU.

"Who the hell asked for the current state of your overall wellbeing?"

So: No bro, I’m good.. Is that out?😃

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Hack. Used for many little "tricks" with anything. It's not a hack unless you're breaking into someone's computer.
I should check that; I'll probably find out that "hack" goes back to 9th Century English, meaning a trick.😉
But I'm too lazy.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hack. Used for many little "tricks" with anything. It's not a hack unless you're breaking into someone's computer.
I should check that; I'll probably find out that "hack" goes back to 9th Century English, meaning a trick.😉
But I'm too lazy.
Absolutely a mid 2000's thing. In the 1950's hack was mentioned as a way to describe "working on" something without the professional knowledge (similar to hacking at a log with an axe). In the early 2000's it was used to describe working on computer systems to make things easier without the computer science background, and in later years by journalists to describe creating a tip or trick that makes something easier without having to have a lot of technical knowledge about it.

Absolutely a mid 2000's thing. In the 1950's hack was mentioned as a way to describe "working on" something without the professional knowledge (similar to hacking at a log with an axe). In the early 2000's it was used to describe working on computer systems to make things easier without the computer science background, and in later years by journalists to describe creating a tip or trick that makes something easier without having to have a lot of technical knowledge about it.

And now it seems to mean to do something of sort which has an effect of some kind

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I believe the term for breaking into a computer is crack, not hack. Although I have heard the word used as a con or scam as well, so it may depend whether the crack was deception or brute force, as to whether it constitutes a hack.

I'm not nearly confident enough in the above definitions to be particularly irritated, although using it to describe little quirks and methods to make life easier, doesn't sit well with me. The "life hacks" are (usually) neither digital nor a scam.

Nor a journalist, also sometimes described as a hack (probably derived from the deception definition).

Nor hitting something with a sharp object.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I believe the term for breaking into a computer is crack, not hack. Although I have heard the word used as a con or scam as well, so it may depend whether the crack was deception or brute force, as to whether it constitutes a hack.

I'm not nearly confident enough in the above definitions to be particularly irritated, although using it to describe little quirks and methods to make life easier, doesn't sit well with me. The "life hacks" are (usually) neither digital nor a scam.

Nor a journalist, also sometimes described as a hack (probably derived from the deception definition).

Nor hitting something with a sharp object.
Hacking is used as a term to use code to intrude on computer networks and can be either white hat or black hat.
Cracking is used as a term to gain access to computer software/systems and is generally considered black hat.
Cracking is most often applied to computer software whereas Hacking is most often applied to computer networks.

Mostly, it comes down to intent.

Last edited:
But I'm too lazy.
9th century? .... but it does preceded computer garbage by a horse and cart, and it is good old English :w00t:

Why is a horse called a hack?
A hack is also a type of horse, short for Hackney, which is actually where the term 'hacking' came from! Hackney horses or hack horses were traditionally used for pulling carriages or leasing out to people to ride in parks, because they were a calm and reliable breed.

Hearing someone throw an extra "r" in "familiar" is annoying, and I hear it from people of all ages and educations. fermiliar

One that's even more annoying than that one is people who don't seem to know that "aesthetic" has an "h" in it. I hear that one almost exclusively from younger generations. "Estettick" is not a word, kids.
You try saying "Anna Setic" three times real fast :sneaky2: [anaesthetic]

9th century? .... but it does preceded computer garbage by a horse and cart, and it is good old English :w00t:
Hackney (or hack for short) is also defined as:
a carriage or automobile kept for hire

This calls to mind one very old folk/bluegrass song (a classic murder ballad) "Little Sadie" with the line "the hacks and the buggies all standin' in line" in preparation for the funeral procession.
(Great song by the way, Doc Watson's version is a classic, and Tony Rice also recorded a stellar version of it several years later.)

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The word hack has many different definitions, as do many words.
It is not logical to think that a computer term was used hundreds of years before the idea of the first computer was ever even conceived.
The English word 'bark' goes back to 1150 but it is not logical to think that at the time they were referring to a chocolate treat studded with nuts and popularized in the 1950's.

Last edited:
I did a quick search. Sorry if it has been mentioned earlier.
"Out of whack (or wack)." The phrase is supposed to be "Out A whack" which refers to something needing a whack to knock it into position/level/etc.
"Out of whack" seems meaningless but people keep using this version over the "correct" phrase.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I did a quick search. Sorry if it has been mentioned earlier.
"Out of whack (or wack)." The phrase is supposed to be "Out A whack" which refers to something needing a whack to knock it into position/level/etc.
"Out of whack" seems meaningless but people keep using this version over the "correct" phrase.
The term "out of whack" has been in regular use since the late 1800's. It is so common, that using the term "out a whack" would sound, to most people, as incorrect.
There is some debate as to whether the term originated from the whack given a stubborn mule to make it work, thus "out a whack" or "out of whack" meaning it wasn't working - or that the term originates as an opposite to the phrase "in whack" as in "He was in fine whack" meaning he was performing at peak. Thus to be "out of whack" was to be NOT performing properly.
Not to be confused with "out of kilter" (or out of kelter) which dates back to the 1600's.
Language evolves.

Out of Kilter - Also, out of whack . Not properly adjusted, not working well, out of order. For example, This whole schedule is out of kilter with the rest of our projects , or The wheels on the trailer are out of whack . The first term, also spelled kelter , dates from the early 1600s and its origin is not known. The precise allusion of the variant, a colloquial term dating from the late 1800s, is also unclear. Possibly it relates to a whack , or blow, throwing something off, or some suggest, to wacky , that is, “crazy.”

The term “out of whack,” which first appeared during the late 1800s, may have originated as the opposite of this last meaning — an agreement gone awry. Or it may have evolved as the opposite of the 19th-century expression “fine whack,” meaning in good condition or in fine fettle.

John Hay used the term this way to describe President Abraham Lincoln’s equanimity as he managed the nation during the Civil War: “The Tycoon is in fine whack. I have rarely seen him more serene and busy.”

Last edited:
Ohio-isms. Being from Ohio, I'm permitted to comment.

"Where are you at?"

An Ohioan will usually add the unnecessary "at", thus ending the sentence with a preposition.

"...and whatnot." Ending an observation with that is a pretty good indicator of being a Buckeye.

I was chatting up a woman once and she said she was some middle-management for Kroger.

I looked at her and said, "So you're not originally from Ohio?" She was surprised and said no, she was from Michigan.

I told her that an Ohioan will typically say "Kroger's". As it denotes ownership to a proper name. We are also likely to say "Meijer's", rather than "Meijer".

I heard once that a tour guide for Paramount Studios in Los Angeles dropped a phrase on the loudspeaker during the tour. I do not recall what it was, but a woman on the tour said to him afterwards, "You are from Tiffin, Ohio." He was stunned. Probably 20-years-old, and she had not only identified his state, but his town. She said her grandfather was from Tiffin and was the only man she'd ever heard say that.

Ohio-isms. Being from Ohio, I'm permitted to comment.

"Where are you at?"

An Ohioan will usually add the unnecessary "at", thus ending the sentence with a preposition.

"...and whatnot." Ending an observation with that is a pretty good indicator of being a Buckeye.

I was chatting up a woman once and she said she was some middle-management for Kroger.

I looked at her and said, "So you're not originally from Ohio?" She was surprised and said no, she was from Michigan.

I told her that an Ohioan will typically say "Kroger's". As it denotes ownership to a proper name. We are also likely to say "Meijer's", rather than "Meijer".

I heard once that a tour guide for Paramount Studios in Los Angeles dropped a phrase on the loudspeaker during the tour. I do not recall what it was, but a woman on the tour said to him afterwards, "You are from Tiffin, Ohio." He was stunned. Probably 20-years-old, and she had not only identified his state, but his town. She said her grandfather was from Tiffin and was the only man she'd ever heard say that.
Folks around here (including me 😄) say "Where you at?"

Similar to "..and whatnot." we also have "...or whatever." Often used at the end of, well, nearly any sentence you can imagine, and I'm sure I am guilty of this one without realizing it. 😂
It seems to be particularly common among people of Mennonite background.

Top Bottom