What's new

Words and Phrases that really annoy

I'm not gonna lie... bla bla bla.

So if this person doesn't say "I'm not gonna lie"
I take it there's a good possibility they're lying about what they are saying.Hmm
I think what they usually mean is something like "I am not going to mnce words about this." "Or I am not going gong to understate or sugarcoat this out of a concern for sensibilities."

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think what thy usually mean is something like "I am not going to mnce words about this." "Or I am not going gong to understate or sugarcoat this out of a concern for sensibilities."
That's how I take it. Like saying the below, but the first sentence is silent.
"When you asked me how your dress looked, I was going to say 'nice'.
I'm not going to lie - it looks horrible on you."

Hearing someone throw an extra "r" in "familiar" is annoying, and I hear it from people of all ages and educations. fermiliar

One that's even more annoying than that one is people who don't seem to know that "aesthetic" has an "h" in it. I hear that one almost exclusively from younger generations. "Estettick" is not a word, kids.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hearing someone throw an extra "r" in "familiar" is annoying, and I hear it from people of all ages and educations. fermiliar

One that's even more annoying than that one is people who don't seem to know that "aesthetic" has an "h" in it. I hear that one almost exclusively from younger generations. "Estettick" is not a word, kids.
Aesthetic is one of those tricky words that, even when pronounced correctly, can easily sound as if it wasn't.
The speakers accent and speech speed has a lot to do with it.

Aesthetic is one of those tricky words that, even when pronounced correctly, can easily sound as if it wasn't.
The speakers accent and speech speed has a lot to do with it.

Quite right. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt the first time I think I hear it*, but it gets my antennae up. When I hear it the second time, I have to spend the rest of the time suppressing the urge to correct them.

*unless they've already said something like "libarry"

Quite right. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt the first time I think I hear it*, but it gets my antennae up. When I hear it the second time, I have to spend the rest of the time suppressing the urge to correct them.

*unless they've already said something like "libarry"
What is this "libarry"? Everyone knows it's "libErry" 😀

Having lived in Ireland for years I have picked up the local pronunciation, particularly the "th" sounds. When speaking the word "aesthetic", it often sounds like "aestetic".

I propose going back to the use of thorn and Eth to differentiate between the two "th" sounds.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
We seem to have two slightly different conversations going on at the same time. One is about mispronounced/misspelled/misunderstood words ... like going to the cafe to order an "expresso". The other is about perfectly accurate and grammatically correct words and phrases which, at the end of the day, get under our skin.

Not that we shouldn't discuss both here ... I'm just sayin', is all.

It insulted them and I never corrected anyone again.

Not an ideal situation.

What is this "libarry"? Everyone knows it's "libErry" 😀

Having lived in Ireland for years I have picked up the local pronunciation, particularly the "th" sounds. When speaking the word "aesthetic", it often sounds like "aestetic".

I propose going back to the use of thorn and Eth to differentiate between the two "th" sounds.

I will look for a book about raspbraries and the liberry.

As to (at least some Irish dialects) they don't just do it with "aesthetic" though. If you think about the way Americans pronounce "little" it's really a lot more like "liddle". We also say "utter" the same as "udder". Those aren't mispronunciations, they're just the way we do things.

I'm for bringing back thorns. I'd also like to see the diaeresis make a comeback.

I will look for a book about raspbraries and the liberry.

As to (at least some Irish dialects) they don't just do it with "aesthetic" though. If you think about the way Americans pronounce "little" it's really a lot more like "liddle". We also say "utter" the same as "udder". Those aren't mispronunciations, they're just the way we do things.

I'm for bringing back thorns. I'd also like to see the diaeresis make a comeback.

d's and t's are related.
The only difference in pronunciation is how hard the breath comes out
when the tongue separates from the roof of the mouth.

Sometimes they are also related in a semantic way in spelling:
Duo
Two

And now, instead of making a separate post, "Spitting Image",
which is most nonsensical when used in the original context of
spit'n image.
"He's the spitting image of his daddy."

d's and t's are related.
The only difference in pronunciation is how hard the breath comes out
when the tongue separates from the roof of the mouth.

Sometimes they are also related in a semantic way in spelling:
Duo
Two

And now, instead of making a separate post, "Spitting Image",
which is most nonsensical when used in the original context of
spit'n image.
"He's the spitting image of his daddy."

I've read that the original phrase was "spit and image" as in "He's the spit and image of his daddy." Makes a bit more sense, even if it's not a savory picture.

With oppoligies to our international brethren here on B&B, I recently find myself quite annoyed by those with British-like accents (seemingly the sound of uber credibility here in America. So we are supposed to infer.) who pronounce the letter O with an R sound at the end: "So" come across as being "sawr" and so forth. It just grates on my nerves.

I had coworkers and relatives that used this one: It’s just the way I am.. In my way of thinking it’s an excuse to justify immaturity. It’s ok to be outspoken but not obnoxious, insulting and argumentative.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
"You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!"
That reminds me of the Cheech and Chong bit:
Father: "Young man, I have talked to you, and talked to you, and talked to you till I'm blue in the face, and I'm DONE talking to you!"
Son: "Good! Does that mean you're done spitting on me too?"
Father: "Shut up, I'm not done talking to you!"

Top Bottom