What's new

Words and Phrases that really annoy

Well, I have to admit that when I said "people don't say", I really meant "people don't write".
Verbally, it's almost impossible to tell the difference between "a lot" and "alot".

My in- laws say it and they write like this. I have seen some correspondence.

They have a habit of saying ideal, as in I have an idea we should do this.

I made the mistake of saying ideal is something viewed as a concept or a situation that is the ultimate standard.
It insulted them and I never corrected anyone again. I am not a word snob or snarky, but there are times when improper word choices hurt careers.

I had a coworker that grew up in an Amish community. His family actually broke away and lived as non Amish. He spoke fluent Dutch and his English at times was questionable. In order to advance in the company the owners required that he get a degree. He received his business degree, but those poor grammar habits still existed. We were in meetings and he would say the word did in the wrong context. He would say something like this: What he should have did was ship it now. The owner actually corrected him in front of us in a meeting. A few days later he told me how embarrassing it was and the owners were relentless in correcting him. I understood what he was saying and I would have done it in private but he was interacting with senior management and was representing the company. I told him try to eliminate the word did and done and them and they. Those were his worst mistakes. Eventually he got better, but when nervous he would stumble. I told him toastmasters would be a great help.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Well said! I was a foreign born Canadian resident for many years, teaching university students in Canada to write papers, in English. Mostly, my focus was content, but form (English language) often became a subject of commentary too. This proved to be a delicate exercise of diplomacy, as many students did not take it lightly when a "non native" speaker of English dared to comment on their English exposition.
The more general point here is that language is fundamentally social, and so recalling the title of this thread, "words and phrases that annoy", it should come as no surprise that the annoyance is partly socially conditioned. For my part, a favourite perversion is when "native speakers" lecture me on the alleged correctness of their chosen idiom, and/or the alleged incorrectness of mine. The English language is particularly interesting in this regard, as a primary global lingua franca these days. Plenty of occasion for annoyance, and certainly reflection.
Canadian here and find that the people who point out correct grammar to me are ESL students and some of my Spanish coworkers.

No offense taken by me at all.

Now I'm anxious about how my grade for this post :D

When I hear “ I want to ax you something” my first instinct is to run away.
Say Yes To The Dress Strength GIF by TLC Europe

Oh yeah, I just remembered another:
"centre counsel/council"

As in, "Hey can you grab my wallet from the truck? It's in the centre council."
That one really annoys. It's a console, people, come on...

(Also, I'm Canadian but the way we spell center bugs me, it just seems wrong)

Can't say that the following phrase, in and of itself, annoys me, but the zillionth over usage does drive me bonkers:

"At the end of the day..." (Seems to be the modern version of "When all is said and done...")

My rude interruption is "It's nighttime!"

Can't say that the following phrase, in and of itself, annoys me, but the zillionth over usage does drive me bonkers:

"At the end of the day..." (Seems to be the modern version of "When all is said and done...")

My rude interruption is "It's nighttime!"
Seems like a highly useful phrase that has been overused it seems to me.

Top Bottom