What's new

Women and the NFL

... Whilst we are on the subject fellas when did you check out the little guys last? If you have not done so for a bit go do it soon and keep on doing it.

The annual incidence rate of testicular cancer in the US is very low at approximately 1 in 35000, while the annual incidence rate of prostate cancer is approximately 1 in 1500 (about the same as breast cancer).

... to encourage women to conduct self checks ...

Several studies examining the effect of regular self breast exams in women found no effect on breast cancer mortality.

Got your attention with that title eh?

If anyone has been watching the NFL recently, I’m sure you have seen the explosion of pink shoes, pink gloves, pink ball caps, modified jerseys, pink towels and even pink goal post pads in virtually every game.

Why? Because October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.

I presume that the NFL believes that all of this pink will bring Breast cancer to the forefront of peoples attention, and thus increase donation revenue for Breast Cancer Research.

But stop and think a moment about this – If every pair of Pink Shoes fetches $50.00, every ball cap $20.00, every pair of gloves $30.00 and each Jersey over $100.00, not to mention the towels, pads and myriad other items I have not listed, that amounts to a tidy sum of money.

What if instead of trying to raise awareness in the general public with this pink display, all of the cash to buy these items had been donated directly toward Breast Cancer Research?

I can’t help but think that the additional revenue generated in donations due to the increased awareness brought on by this campaign is but a drop in the bucket when compared to the cost to refit all of the NFL Teams and stadiums.
I’m not discounting the fact that there are aftermarket sales of products that people see pro ball players wearing, and that a tiny portion of that might also go to research, but even adding that in I still believe that the flat outlay for procurement is greater than the increased revenue that the ad campaign could bring about.

Sometimes, people just want a warm fuzzy feeling that they are “doing something” even if that something has no real effect on the initial problem. Wearing a pink ribbon is one such thing.

Barbara Brenner, the executive director of Breast Cancer Action, a nonprofit watchdog group headquartered in San Francisco, says buying pink products has little to do with helping cure and treat breast cancer. Says Brenner: “Everyone has been guilt-tripped into buying pink things. If shopping could cure breast cancer it would be cured by now.”

While some companies do donate part of the profit from the sale of these products, (on average less than $0.05 cents on every dollar of PROFIT, not retail) many do not, and they don’t tell you that they do not. Look up your favorite seller of Breast Cancer Awareness products and try to find out how much of your purchase is going to Breast Cancer Research. That seems to be as hard a task as finding a cure.

If you want to make a donation, make it directly to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Your $10.00 donation will equal over $200.00 in “Breast Cancer Awareness” product purchases.

That’s my perspective, YMMV

Some folks are at work right now in mixed company - your post is a-ok, but the title is a no go.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Some folks are at work right now in mixed company - your post is a-ok, but the title is a no go.

Hindsight is usually 20/20, and this is no exception.

EDIT: For the newbie crowd, this is not the kind of attention you want from Joel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom