What's new

Women and the NFL

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If anyone has been watching the NFL recently, I’m sure you have seen the explosion of pink shoes, pink gloves, pink ball caps, modified jerseys, pink towels and even pink goal post pads in virtually every game.

Why? Because October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.

I presume that the NFL believes that all of this pink will bring Breast cancer to the forefront of peoples attention, and thus increase donation revenue for Breast Cancer Research.

But stop and think a moment about this – If every pair of Pink Shoes fetches $50.00, every ball cap $20.00, every pair of gloves $30.00 and each Jersey over $100.00, not to mention the towels, pads and myriad other items I have not listed, that amounts to a tidy sum of money.

What if instead of trying to raise awareness in the general public with this pink display, all of the cash to buy these items had been donated directly toward Breast Cancer Research?

I can’t help but think that the additional revenue generated in donations due to the increased awareness brought on by this campaign is but a drop in the bucket when compared to the cost to refit all of the NFL Teams and stadiums.
I’m not discounting the fact that there are aftermarket sales of products that people see pro ball players wearing, and that a tiny portion of that might also go to research, but even adding that in I still believe that the flat outlay for procurement is greater than the increased revenue that the ad campaign could bring about.

Sometimes, people just want a warm fuzzy feeling that they are “doing something” even if that something has no real effect on the initial problem. Wearing a pink ribbon is one such thing.

Barbara Brenner, the executive director of Breast Cancer Action, a nonprofit watchdog group headquartered in San Francisco, says buying pink products has little to do with helping cure and treat breast cancer. Says Brenner: “Everyone has been guilt-tripped into buying pink things. If shopping could cure breast cancer it would be cured by now.”

While some companies do donate part of the profit from the sale of these products, (on average less than $0.05 cents on every dollar of PROFIT, not retail) many do not, and they don’t tell you that they do not. Look up your favorite seller of Breast Cancer Awareness products and try to find out how much of your purchase is going to Breast Cancer Research. That seems to be as hard a task as finding a cure.

If you want to make a donation, make it directly to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Your $10.00 donation will equal over $200.00 in “Breast Cancer Awareness” product purchases.

That’s my perspective, YMMV

Last edited:
Never noticed that. It's always good seeing people making a difference. But uhm...where are those NFL boobs :lol: good thread. Also I know awhile back graffiti artist did something called keep a breast (something like that) as well as some chick that goes around spraying a pink ribbon with words saying check yourself.

Last edited:
You touch on a matter of particular soreness for me, as my mother is a breast cancer survivor and was driven batty by everyone shoving pink this and that at her. She left her support group and refused to go back because she said there was a culture of victimhood. I think "breast cancer awareness" is by this point a sham goal. Who does not know about breast cancer these days? You are reminded everywhere you turn. Many women have solid feminist criticisms against the "cult of pink" Susan G Komen and the like are largely self-supporting awareness organizations that do little to fund cure research and nothing towards prevention. It is good PR for large organizations to ally with Komen b/c they can sell pink products and be "a supporter in the fight against breast cancer" with no cost other than buying some pink paint or dye.

From the title I was expecting to see the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders (the only redeemable aspect of the the Cowboys :biggrin:)

Yeah, I've noticed that too, and while I thought it was a noble gesture (hey, the NFL deserves a Noble prize!), it really doesn't do much in the long run.

Not to be cynical or anything like that, but I'm sure that the whole thing is to at least a degree part of the NFL's plan to market the league to women. In that regard, visibility is as important as generosity.

TTIWWOP

proxy.php

I agree with the original poster regarding pink items, but what can you expect from the NFL? While I love the game of football, the league in and of itself has become a monopolistic predatory machine, and should be ashamed of its practices. In an era where AVERAGE ticket prices are $74.99, and the president of the league says the NFL has to protect it's brand by not adjusting blackout policies due to the recession, and yeah, he acknowledges the prices are high, but oh well. What do we expect? The league also preys on local municipalities to get the taxpayers to pay for stadiums for owners so they don't have to, with the false promise that all this economic development will happen, when it has been proven stadiums don't bring economic development they simply redistribute existing wealth. They are protected with an exemption from the anti-trust act. They protect their true revenues like a mafia don, because they know if people knew exactly what they make, no one would vote for a free stadium for a billionaire.

Yeah, the NFL's only interest in womens breasts is to see how much they can exploit them for profit.

I agree with the original poster regarding pink items, but what can you expect from the NFL? While I love the game of football, the league in and of itself has become a monopolistic predatory machine, and should be ashamed of its practices. In an era where AVERAGE ticket prices are $74.99, and the president of the league says the NFL has to protect it's brand by not adjusting blackout policies due to the recession, and yeah, he acknowledges the prices are high, but oh well. What do we expect? The league also preys on local municipalities to get the taxpayers to pay for stadiums for owners so they don't have to, with the false promise that all this economic development will happen, when it has been proven stadiums don't bring economic development they simply redistribute existing wealth. They are protected with an exemption from the anti-trust act. They protect their true revenues like a mafia don, because they know if people knew exactly what they make, no one would vote for a free stadium for a billionaire.

Yeah, the NFL's only interest in womens breasts is to see how much they can exploit them for profit.

Huh?

You touch on a matter of particular soreness for me, as my mother is a breast cancer survivor and was driven batty by everyone shoving pink this and that at her. She left her support group and refused to go back because she said there was a culture of victimhood. I think "breast cancer awareness" is by this point a sham goal. Who does not know about breast cancer these days? You are reminded everywhere you turn. Many women have solid feminist criticisms against the "cult of pink" Susan G Komen and the like are largely self-supporting awareness organizations that do little to fund cure research and nothing towards prevention. It is good PR for large organizations to ally with Komen b/c they can sell pink products and be "a supporter in the fight against breast cancer" with no cost other than buying some pink paint or dye.

Best wishes to your mother, she is a survivor my wife was not. Do not believe that the message of breast awareness is out there enough. Doctors follow patterns and my late wife was too young to be at risk. Tell that to her daughter then doctor how she was too young to be at risk! I agree that the sale of pink things does little to effect the diagnosis of a cure. It does make people feel better. I believe if just one person who wouldn't have checked beforehand finds something and is seen to in time, then all the effort to raise awareness will have been worth it. My daughter will enter early screening as a result of her mothers tragically short life and I will be impressing on her the need to check check check.
Whilst we are on the subject fellas when did you check out the little guys last? If you have not done so for a bit go do it soon and keep on doing it.

Not to be cynical or anything like that, but I'm sure that the whole thing is to at least a degree part of the NFL's plan to market the league to women. In that regard, visibility is as important as generosity.

I don't think your cyncism is misplaced. Getting rid of the cheerleaders would probably please many women, but that is out of the question so they had to show they're hip to women's concerns in another way.

Best wishes to your mother, she is a survivor my wife was not. Do not believe that the message of breast awareness is out there enough. Doctors follow patterns and my late wife was too young to be at risk. Tell that to her daughter then doctor how she was too young to be at risk! I agree that the sale of pink things does little to effect the diagnosis of a cure. It does make people feel better. I believe if just one person who wouldn't have checked beforehand finds something and is seen to in time, then all the effort to raise awareness will have been worth it. My daughter will enter early screening as a result of her mothers tragically short life and I will be impressing on her the need to check check check.
Whilst we are on the subject fellas when did you check out the little guys last? If you have not done so for a bit go do it soon and keep on doing it.

My condolences to you and your daughter. That is a terrible loss to bear. I think you are right that my opinion is shortsighted on how aware people are. Maybe the proliferation of pink lends a false sense of security that everyone knows what to do and when to get checked.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Thanks for the last sentence of your post, which is a good reminder for all of us.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

To be honest, the thought of awareness being used as a means to encourage women to conduct self checks had not even occurred to me.
I believe that education in this regard is critical, and all women should be encouraged to do what is deemed a vital step in preserving their own lives. I guess I'm just saying here that the pink attention could probably be focused elsewhere. In that regard, the money spent by the NFL could have been poured into an education program, or Television Public Service announcements.

In what manner is the NFL exploiting and profiting from womens breasts?

One, cheerleaders. They're cheesy and there's no reason for teams to have them beyond the fact that male fans like to look at skinny, flexible women with big breasts.

Two, this pink campaign puts a women's issues aware face on a sport that mostly caters to men's tastes.

To be honest, the thought of awareness being used as a means to encourage women to conduct self checks had not even occurred to me.
I believe that education in this regard is critical, and all women should be encouraged to do what is deemed a vital step in preserving their own lives. I guess I'm just saying here that the pink attention could probably be focused elsewhere. In that regard, the money spent by the NFL could have been poured into an education program, or Television Public Service announcements.

I've watched barely any football yet this season--are there PSAs during commercial breaks or announcements on-field or anything to get the message across besides the pink?

One, cheerleaders. They're cheesy and there's no reason for teams to have them beyond the fact that male fans like to look at skinny, flexible women with big breasts.

Two, this pink campaign puts a women's issues aware face on a sport that mostly caters to men's tastes.

I don't see how either one is exploitation or how either one is used to increase profits, but ymmv. :biggrin:

Top Bottom