What's new

Wolfman WR3

How does this razor measure up to the sabre? I'm looking to try artist club razors or gems and I'm not sure where to begin
I guess you can begin with either. I have tried both and settled on GEM. The artist club is fine but the blade is thicker than GEM. And it's a wide blade which I'm not particularly fond of. I'd rather go with injector over artist club. It's the same thickness but about as wide as a GEM or DE. Overall GEM seems to have the most favorable outcome for my skin because of it's thickness. It's between DE & AC/injector!
You asked about the Sabre?
Do you already have one or are you looking to get one?
I've got the Level 2 and it's on my top 3 favorites!
If you want to start with GEM, get the Sabre in either Level 1 or 2. The Level 1 is very mild!
You can also buy some vintage GEM's for cheap to try different geometries.
You can try closed comb and open comb!
For artist club, you can buy a Razorock Hawk in the aluminum version which is cheap.

Last edited:
I don't know much about the vintage GEMs, so which is a more aggressive open comb variant I should be looking for?
If you want open comb, start with the MMOC (Micromatic Open Comb).
Honestly, out of the bunch of vintage GEM's I own (I have like 7 or 8 models), none really feel aggressive!
Note: I'm no expert on these! I initially bought a couple to try out and ended up buying a few more different ones
and kept them all.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Good question. There are many people here who know a lot about GEMs, including @Ron R .
Lots of information on Gem razors over the years and so a lot of the folks on B&B have contributed to this thread before information is lost. The thread has charts graphs & just experiences that should help a person if curious about a brand that still has smaller brands under the main umbrella company ASR or American Safety Razor corporation when it was alive and well(Personna, Treet....brands are still in operation around the world).

Ron R

Maybe the wrong place to ask this but I haven't found the GEM blades in 100 pack from Personna / Accutec in the coated variety for under $38 Are they really that much?
I buy mine from Connaught UK, they will mail them to you + takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive in Northern Alberta Canada. They have the best prices and are made in USA by Personna(Accutec). With the strong US dollar you will get a great deal.
Have some great shaves!

I buy mine from Connaught UK, they will mail them to you + takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive in Northern Alberta Canada. They have the best prices and are made in USA by Personna(Accutec). With the strong US dollar you will get a great deal.
Have some great shaves!
The currency difference is negated by having to pay for airmail to the US. I used to buy over $200 or whatever to get free shipping from Connaught, but that's out now. Any US retailers selling these?

Ron R

The currency difference is negated by having to pay for airmail to the US. I used to buy over $200 or whatever to get free shipping from Connaught, but that's out now. Any US retailers selling these?
Air mail is cheap and you do not need tracking for a $20pounds sterling package or $25.36 USA airmailed!
Connaught shaving UK is a great company to deal with from my experiences.

A 100 pack from Connaught including shipping will be around $25 (based on the current exchange rate with the Pound).
Do what I did (if you'd like):
Buy 400 of them and it ends up working out to about $20 per 100 pack.
1 time purchase and you'll be set for quite a while!
Considering that you have to wait about 2 weeks to receive them from Connaught, a bulk purchase makes more sense to me.

A 100 pack from Connaught including shipping will be around $25 (based on the current exchange rate with the Pound).
1 purchase and you'll be set for quite a while!
Considering that you have to wait about 2 weeks to receive them from Connaught, a bulk purchase makes more sense to me.
Yeah that's normally what I do by buying in bulk to save costs, but not knowing if I like the GEM style I might just do a cheaper 10 pack from a local retailer. I just bought a vintage Micromatic from the auction site.

Ron R

Yeah that's normally what I do by buying in bulk to save costs, but not knowing if I like the GEM style I might just do a cheaper 10 pack from a local retailer. I just bought a vintage Micromatic from the auction site.
You will be a lot happier with the Gem SS PTFE blades than the Carbon Gem blades IMO and many others!

1 time purchase and you'll be set for quite a while!
Resistance was futile. I wound up ordering 400 and a few brushes that were pretty good deals with the pound to US currency conversion. Thanks @LRod and @Ron R

Oh that's right, I forgot that you haven't tried one yet. So yes a 10 pack for now makes sense. Just make sure you buy the coated ones!

IMG_9904.jpeg

Top Bottom