What's new

Wobbly Brush

I received my new SOC boar today. I know it will take some time to break in, but the odd thing is that when I stand it on its base, it wobbles a bit. Now it's not as if it's about to fall over, and I know I'm being a bit ridiculous, but how much would it bother you? Would you return it (I bought it on Amazon, so returning it is easy enough), or just get over it?

I keep my SOC boar in a stand, so I have not noticed any wobble in mine. The only reason why I would want to stand it on end is if I were taking pictures of it for review purposes. I just got mine a few days ago and it is a terrific latherer.

Sounds like the base of the handle is not entirely flat. I have a 2020 like that. Rub it on some sandpaper on a board if it really is bugging you, followed by some sort of finish to protect the bare wood afterwards. You could also send an e-mail of complaint to the seller to see if they'll give you a refund, rather than asking you to send it back.

Last edited:
I think it's a mistake to call the end of the handle a base. That suggests that it's meant to be stood up on the handle, but if you're going to do that then make sure you dry off the handle after each use AND the surface you're going to park it on, every time. Standing a wooden handle up wet will just result in cracked and/or flaking finish after a while.

I say hang 'em.
proxy.php

Hang 'em dry.

You're likely to have that brush for some time and if it bugs you now it'll bug you forever. I'd get it changed if I were you.

I think it's a mistake to call the end of the handle a base. That suggests that it's meant to be stood up on the handle, but if you're going to do that then make sure you dry off the handle after each use AND the surface you're going to park it on, every time. Standing a wooden handle up wet will just result in cracked and/or flaking finish after a while.

I say hang 'em.
proxy.php

Hang 'em dry.
Even if you use a stand, don’t you stand it on its base between passes? That’s when I notice that it wobbles a little (although having used it a couple of times I think I’ve gotten over the slight wobble).

Sounds like the base of the handle is not entirely flat. I have a 2020 like that. Rub it on some sandpaper on a board if it really is bugging you, followed by some sort of finish to protect the bare wood afterwards. You could also send an e-mail of complaint to the seller to see if they'll give you a refund, rather than asking you to send it back.
I’m tempted to do that, but I worry that I won’t be able to match the original finish on the rest of the brush.

If it helps, I've learned to live with my 2020 and a little wobble. Sometimes it can turn slightly as I walk past. That's about the limit though; it's not like it's falling over as a result. As for not referring to a handle's base as a base, that is a matter of opinion. Most brush labels and brand markings are oriented to be read as such, leading me to conclude that that was the intent, to be stored standing up. As for the concern as to a cracked and flaking finish, this would suggest that the brush had not been properly dried prior to storing it away in an open location. After shaving, rinse the knot off thoroughly, gently squeeze standing water in the knot, shake off the knot to remove, standing water, then gently wipe the tips of the knot off on a towel, and then wipe dry the handle before storing it away, on its base. The result is no flaking finish, no loss of hair.

it wobbles a bit. Now it's not as if it's about to fall over, and I know I'm being a bit ridiculous, but how much would it bother you? Would you return it (I bought it on Amazon, so returning it is easy enough), or just get over it?

Congratulations on your new brush.

It probably would bother me as well, but difficult to say how bothersome it would be without seeing the wobble in person. I only wish every piece of equipment that came my way is perfect, but that's usually never the case. I remember when I received my SOC 2-band, it had a small little spec of timber near the base of the handle, which looked like a tiny pimple....It bothered me for a short while, but then I got over it. Eventually, I had forgotten that the imperfection exists.

Your SOC is probably perfect in every other way. It was just meant to find its way to your home (It could be worse - cracked handles, shedding bristles, etc).

I recommend that you do not sand it. It's not falling over and performance is not affected. Just let it be and enjoy your new brush :)

Congratulations on your new brush.

It probably would bother me as well, but difficult to say how bothersome it would be without seeing the wobble in person. I only wish every piece of equipment that came my way is perfect, but that's usually never the case. I remember when I received my SOC 2-band, it had a small little spec of timber near the base of the handle, which looked like a tiny pimple....It bothered me for a short while, but then I got over it. Eventually, I had forgotten that the imperfection exists.

Your SOC is probably perfect in every other way. It was just meant to find its way to your home (It could be worse - cracked handles, shedding bristles, etc).

I recommend that you do not sand it. It's not falling over and performance is not affected. Just let it be and enjoy your new brush :)
I agree. Like you I get annoyed by imperfections in items I purchase new, but on balance I don’t think that trading this barely noticeable imperfection for a possibly more significant one is worthwhile. As it is, I hardly noticed the wobble when I used it this morning.

Even if you use a stand, don’t you stand it on its base between passes?
Not really. I park it in my lather bowl, which is floating in the hot rinse water. Works like a giant scuttle to keep the lather warm.
full

But I certainly would not worry about it for that short length of time. I'm just talking about between shaves or longer-term storage, and to treat it the way Alum of Potash describes.

The worst though, would be to store it in a mug, bristles down. I see many vintage brushes in the wild disfigured that way, with the knot permanently bent. :(

The end of the brush is absolutely meant to be used as a stand!
When's the last time you viewed a brush that was laying on its side? All advertising is written with the brush on its end.
Shaving Brushes
If it bothers you send it back - it is a quality control issue.

I checked my SOC boar brush last night and it has the wobble too. Never noticed it as I keep it on the stand when not in use. And when I am using, I put it back in the shaving bowl between passes. The wobble is not enough for me to send it back to Amazon for an exchange or refund.

Top Bottom