What's new

Williams no-go, alternatives?

The smell of Arko brings back memories of my schooldays - the disinfectant that they used to use everywhere, especially to clean up after someone had been sick.

It also reminds me of wash day at nana's.

However if you can get past the scent, you will find that its a top performer.

Anything except Wilkinson Blue Bowl.

If you want to purchase locally, and assuming you're US based, try VDH Deluxe with a sprinkle of Kiss my Face. the KMF sends a good basic soap over the top.

The Williams shaving soap I've tried the last few weeks just isn't doing it. So, what are your recommendations for alternatives? Thanks!
How about a little more detail? Without it the only proper answer is "Anything else." Is the problem the scent? Is it not lathering? Does it not provide enough lubrication or cushion?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
+1 ... and thank you Count for your added info about the glycerine drops & nuking for extra benefits ... I must try this!
Dave:
Glad to be of assistance!!! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
“Laughter is the [shaving soap]...that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart”. Mort Walker

Williams no-go, alternatives?

Well, there's always the furtive life of shame, hiding your inability to lather Williams in the shadows, never looking another wet shaver in the eye when you meet, always on the run...

Another choice would be bravado, brashly and loudly proclaiming your disdain for Williams on any and all occasions...you might even persuade some of the youngsters and the wimmenfolk, but be prepared for the slow, angry burning in your chest when the tall, quiet stranger rides into your town and proceeds to get a great lather and shave with the object of your scorn.

I'd say they are both about equal in the big scheme of things.

I can find VDH Deluxe at Wally World for $1.59 and KMF creams at Kroger (near the small organic foods section) for around $7. I've yet to try the KMF, but VDH is a go-to of mine that will always be in my rotation. I also can't do Williams, which is a pity. I actually like the smell.

I use the VDH Deluxe as my main soap,and for its price,works very good and I can get it to lather very nice.At under $2,cant go wrong with it.:thumbup1:

Alternatives for Williams?

Simple answer; No!

Long answer; No, I am sorry but there are none!

But you can try about any other soap or cream on the planet and see if you like it though. It just won't be a true alternative for Williams. :001_rolle

+1 for samples

See if you can try out 1 hard tallow soap, 1 soft soap, 1 glycerin soap, and creams. Mystic water samples are highly recommended for tallow soaps. http://www.mystic4men.com/ If you're having trouble with lather, then try the shave stick method: rub it on your stubble, then work the lather on your face with a brush. This works with any soap for me.

Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like VDH Deluxe is recommended by wide consensus. I used to use Colgate, but its not longer made. Col. Conk wasn't bad, iirc, but is not available locally.

Thanks again.

Well, there's always the furtive life of shame, hiding your inability to lather Williams in the shadows, never looking another wet shaver in the eye when you meet, always on the run...

Another choice would be bravado, brashly and loudly proclaiming your disdain for Williams on any and all occasions...you might even persuade some of the youngsters and the wimmenfolk, but be prepared for the slow, angry burning in your chest when the tall, quiet stranger rides into your town and proceeds to get a great lather and shave with the object of your scorn.

As a proud Williams Warrior, I look down my well-lathered snout at you girly-men who don't have what it takes to get a decent lather and shave from the one, the only, Williams Mug Soap.
Oh sure, anybody can get decent lather from your Tobaccos, your Mutton Fats, your Eau-du-foo-foo soaps, but it takes a true touch to raise a lather from the one true soap -- Williams. :straight:

I'd say they are both about equal in the big scheme of things.

Even I can lather Williams.

Sure, it took me three years, but dangnabbit, who's counting?

What really works on the current formula of Williams is milling it into a bowl or mug...excellent lather...but you need to take this extra step.

Top Bottom