What's new

Why are cartridges so expensive?

You got that right. The same goes for gasoline prices. If the consumer would push back as much as possible, prices could be lower. You must understand that the producers (Big Bad Oil Companies - tongue in cheek) are only netting about $0.01/gallon. The local, state & federal gubment makes about $1/gallon in tax (with zero effort or input to production) and the station gets the rest. As long as the public will pay the prices will be higher.

Actually the gubments take about 15% unless you live in Chicago or New York City or California. But that's why their gas is always about a dollar more a gallon than most other places.

Gas stations are lucky if they get 8 cents on a gallon. FEDs don't get much more. The gas tax has been less than 20 cents a gallon for the last 20 plus years.

Most of the cost of gas is the cost of the crude. A price that is set more by cartels than supply or demand.

If they see a threat to their cash cow from competition they forgo a gold toilet seat or two and produce more than the demand to depress the price until people stop buying from their competition be it solar, wind or fracking.

There is no such thing as a free market when one player has enough cash around to produce at a loss till their competition loses everything.

This time it's the Saudis trying to put the competition out of business instead of the oil companies trying to put alternatives out of business.

The problem with gas though, unlike shaving cream, you need it to get around. You can buy less but you would be hard pressed to buy none. Even if you buy everything on the Internet and UPS ships it you are paying for gas.

But this isn't about facts or needs. It's about wants or feelings. Sorry for the interruption.

I looked at the display in the local Wal-Mart this afternoon. They didn't even have any twin blade cartridges. Even the Mach 3 carts were barely displayed. They make you feel old-fashioned if you use a twin blade.

But folks are catching on. Twin blade carts are now about 10-12 cents each on Amazon if you buy in bulk. I didn't find 3 blades any better than 2 myself, and doubt 5 or 6 are much better either. So there are good quality, cheap cart options. But without advertising, I don't know how many will choose them.

DE shaving is a bit more esoteric. I think it is harmed somewhat by the emphasis on preparation - shower, heat your face, use a shave oil, brush up some lather, etc. I told my son and my friends I just lather my face with Dial, rinse, lather again and shave. If I need another pass, shaving cream (Gillette Foamy). Rinse and go.

Lots of preparation is fine if you are retired, but it doesn't fit in if you need to be to work at 5 AM...

It's not preparation. It's foreplay.

Gillette has the market share because they've convinced every one that more blades is better, and since they have five blades, they are at the top of the market. And they release some new gimmick every 5-10 years or so that makes it a tiny bit better and call it progress. There is no other name in shaving to the masses other than Gillette. Except for the small market share that Shick somehow maintains.

It's like car insurance. The first name you'll think of when it comes to car insurance is Geico because they probably spend 50% of their budget on stupid annoying commercials. And today I actually bought geico motorcycle insurance because it was 100 bucks cheaper than progressive. I hate myself.

Actually the gubments take about 15% unless you live in Chicago or New York City or California. But that's why their gas is always about a dollar more a gallon than most other places.

Gas stations are lucky if they get 8 cents on a gallon. FEDs don't get much more. The gas tax has been less than 20 cents a gallon for the last 20 plus years.

Not exactly, here in Ohio 46 cents of every gallon sold is tax, total between federal and state. Alaska is the least at 30 cents per gal. total, and California is the most, at 71 cents. Nobody in the US is close to 20 cents. :)

The simple answer is that there are plenty of people lining up to buy them; why shouldn't the manufacturers continue to produce them and come out with a "new, improved" version every couple of years.

Gas stations are lucky if they get 8 cents per gallon...

having owned one one that statement is totally false. I never got more than .02 cents per gallon and independant stations get less than that.

Government gets the Lion's share of gasoline sales profit, the franchise companies get the second largest ammount, the shareholders come next, and last is the station owners and small business folks who sell the product.

Government gets the Lion's share of gasoline sales profit, the franchise companies get the second largest ammount, the shareholders come next, and last is the station owners and small business folks who sell the product.

Same here ... 60% of the petrol price is taxes, and the private station owners only get peanuts. Many petrol stations are owned by the petrol companies anyway, so it is a tough market for private businesses.

Warning: cynicism ahead

The truth is that the public is to blame, not the companies. P&G probably laughs to themselves that they can charge that much. They only do it because people continue to buy it up. Normal people (vs. the abnormal people on B&B) have no clue that there is another way to shave, except for electrics. They don't take time to research alternatives and just buy whatever is put in front of them without question.

This is the same in all aspects of society. There is a core group of educated individuals that exploit the ignorant, uninformed public for their own benefit. Politics, shaving, energy, pop culture, you name it. If you owned P&G/Gillette and benefited like this, you would do the same.

Everyday I watch countless commercials related to marketing off pop culture and can only marvel at the geniuses that are raking it in hand over fist while pulling the wool over Joe American's eyes, convincing them to buy more stuff they don't need.

Last edited:
P&G owns many of the companies still cranking out DE blades. They're trying hard to transition India and other holdouts to "upgrade" to the far more profitable proprietary cartridges.

P&G owns many of the companies still cranking out DE blades. They're trying hard to transition India and other holdouts to "upgrade" to the far more profitable proprietary cartridges.

Good point here. I was fully aware that Gillette makes the Astra SP blades that I use for every shave. The blades work great. I researched around to find the best possible price and then bought thousands in order to have a lifetime supply. Now they can raise the price all they want or cease production. I'm locked in at $0.09/blade.

That's too bad for them, because I'm hairy as hell and consume blades at a rapid pace. They would get to pound me good if I still bought their $2.00 carts or whatever they cost these days. I only ever got a couple of good shaves out of carts because my beard just ate them up.

Not exactly, here in Ohio 46 cents of every gallon sold is tax, total between federal and state. Alaska is the least at 30 cents per gal. total, and California is the most, at 71 cents. Nobody in the US is close to 20 cents. :)

I said Federal share 20 cents. Not all taxes.

But you are making my original point that the percentage of the price that is tax is small.

But about 15% overall is taxes. Excluding the biggies of CA Chicago and NYC.

As gas keeps going down the percentage will increase.

But at $3 a gal .45 in taxes is about the norm or 15%

But to be clear if I wasn't before the Fed part of tax is less than 20 cents.

Gas stations are lucky if they get 8 cents per gallon...

having owned one one that statement is totally false. I never got more than .02 cents per gallon and independant stations get less than that.

8 cents is an average not everybody. There are stations here that if they don't belong to a brand make nothing.

The Government doesn't get any of the profit. At least not the way you are stating it. They get the taxes. That might impact your profit since most people who have ever owned a business know that people see taxes as part of the cost and have to sell the product for less to be competitive.

Same here ... 60% of the petrol price is taxes, and the private station owners only get peanuts. Many petrol stations are owned by the petrol companies anyway, so it is a tough market for private businesses.

Comparing the Netherlands to the USA is apples and lingonberries.

While we think gas is expensive you folks come here and wonder what all the kvetching is about.

Warning: cynicism ahead

The truth is that the public is to blame, not the companies. P&G probably laughs to themselves that they can charge that much. They only do it because people continue to buy it up. Normal people (vs. the abnormal people on B&B) have no clue that there is another way to shave, except for electrics. They don't take time to research alternatives and just buy whatever is put in front of them without question.

This is the same in all aspects of society. There is a core group of educated individuals that exploit the ignorant, uninformed public for their own benefit. Politics, shaving, energy, pop culture, you name it. If you owned P&G/Gillette and benefited like this, you would do the same.

Everyday I watch countless commercials related to marketing off pop culture and can only marvel at the geniuses that are raking it in hand over fist while pulling the wool over Joe American's eyes, convincing them to buy more stuff they don't need.

Plus 1

We are dumb enough to pay the price & as much as I hate to say it, if you use a cart, Gillette can't be beat.

Gillette did not make the best GII cartridges, in my opinion. I don't know any newer carts (no handle for them), but Schick and Wilkinson Sword ruled for GII compatible cartridges.

I read Gillette spent 7 years and 750 million to develop the mark 3. Not to mention advertising.

Kind of wonder what were they thinking?

I'd be happy if someone put some R&D into DE razors. Something ceramic?

Top Bottom