What's new

Why are cartridges so expensive?

I just did the math while looking at a $100 SE razor that uses DE blades (I'm new and I can't spend 30 minutes every morning shaving, so I was comparing quick and dirties).

I get a full month out of fusion blades if I am doing a daily clean shave as long as I take ten seconds to clean and dry the blade after use. These run me $3.25 a pop.

I just got into DE shaving, and am using an MTO until my AS-D2 gets here. It looks like feathers last six shaves(ish) and I can get them for $.30 a pop.

Thats 10.7¢ a shave for top notch carts vs 5¢ a shave for top notch DE razors. When you look at it that way, with cheaper production costs for the DE (it's a set design, looks mostly animated, not much advertising, and it's done predominately overseas), the American made, "cutting edge technology" and complicated carts aren't such a bad deal.

For me, simply not having to repeatedly bang the razor on the edge of the sink to dislodge the stubble funk from underneath the blade(s) after each swipe makes the DE the obvious better choice.

I just did the math while looking at a $100 SE razor that uses DE blades (I'm new and I can't spend 30 minutes every morning shaving, so I was comparing quick and dirties).

I get a full month out of fusion blades if I am doing a daily clean shave as long as I take ten seconds to clean and dry the blade after use. These run me $3.25 a pop.

I just got into DE shaving, and am using an MTO until my AS-D2 gets here. It looks like feathers last six shaves(ish) and I can get them for $.30 a pop.

Thats 10.7¢ a shave for top notch carts vs 5¢ a shave for top notch DE razors. When you look at it that way, with cheaper production costs for the DE (it's a set design, looks mostly animated, not much advertising, and it's done predominately overseas), the American made, "cutting edge technology" and complicated carts aren't such a bad deal.

When you look at it that way it seems silly to not use the newest and best thing. Problem is I've never had cartridge razors last longer than a week. I don't know maybe the fusions are different but using the same blades for a month? I'd be very impressed. I do have a rougher beard I call "razor-killer" so maybe some people can do it but man a MONTH!?

I am kind of torn between wanting to use the newest and best thing but I also enjoy DE shaving.

For me, simply not having to repeatedly bang the razor on the edge of the sink to dislodge the stubble funk from underneath the blade(s) after each swipe makes the DE the obvious better choice.

That and the irritation around my neck.

I have been fortunate that the TSA a has not taken away my blades either. Because of that I haven't had to use a cart for more than 3 months now.

I also shave most days I'm not working as well.

I enjoy shaving now.

Never did when I used carts.

It isn't about saving money for me. I spend far more now since I buy expensive creams and pre shave oils. Use an alum block and aftershave.

I have 2 razors 4 brushes and several aftershaves. And that's just a few items. Lots of blade sampler packs as well. I'll bet I'm into the hobby for $500 bucks in less than 4 months.

I like shaving now. I look forward to it. And my skin looks fantastic.

Before I would shave with a cart in the shower and just use a bar of soap.

I'm debating buying a slant or a straight.

Why I don't know because I have more than enough stuff now to shave for 3 years. And enough razors and brushes for 3 people.

I actually just gave a starter kit to a friend.

It's going to take me 10 years to break even. LOL

(I'm new and I can't spend 30 minutes every morning shaving, so I was comparing quick and dirties).

Have you tried doing it in the evening? You'll be more relaxed and can take the time necessary to learn DE properly. That extra care and attention could literally shave off the length of beard between the evening before and the next morning.

Have you tried doing it in the evening? You'll be more relaxed and can take the time necessary to learn DE properly. That extra care and attention could literally shave off the length of beard between the evening before and the next morning.

+1 for this! I shave in the evening after everyone in my house has gone to bed. My nightly shaving ritual (usually every other night) is one of the things I look forward to all day. I have lots of time, and I really enjoy myself, I highly recommend an evening shave.

"Made in Israel" twin blade cartridges ... 30 cents per cartridge. How is that expensive for a cartridge that lasts a week?

Love this topic...but Gillette has cornered the market and can ask high prices as long as you will pay... problem is worse than you think and compounded by our impressions. There are many cartridge blade alternatives that can be bought, but how will you overcome the feeling of the price vs quality issue when you pay for the same blades made in Russia at the dollar store vs. Gillette's Fusion that has a better lubrication strip at 10x more the cost which will wear out in 2 shaves anyway!

Most shavers in this Country on,y have the illusion of choice. Mach 3 or whatever that Mega Blade monstrosity is called.

P&Gs answer to us outliers is AOS. We spend as much or more than what they lose on carts.

Love this topic...but Gillette has cornered the market and can ask high prices as long as you will pay... problem is worse than you think and compounded by our impressions. There are many cartridge blade alternatives that can be bought, but how will you overcome the feeling of the price vs quality issue when you pay for the same blades made in Russia at the dollar store vs. Gillette's Fusion that has a better lubrication strip at 10x more the cost which will wear out in 2 shaves anyway!
The price of anything is determined by its value. The VALUE of anything is the price that a WILLING buyer gives to a WILLING seller. This applies from everything from razor blades to medical care.

Most shavers in this Country on,y have the illusion of choice. Mach 3 or whatever that Mega Blade monstrosity is called.

That is because they do not look further than the latest Gillette offering. There are enough alternatives, some better (Personna Israel) and some worse (Dorco).

YMMV of course.

It costs a lot of money for Gillette to have their name on that big ol' palace of excess in Foxboro, Massachusetts.

Excess is anything with the name Trump on it. Why would anyone who is really rich want to live in a building with the name Trump on it?

Its crazy to pay $25 for a pack of carts that will last several weeks but perfectly reasonable to drop $30 on a puck of soap that lasts 40 shaves. I would say that if you truly want to know why carts are so expensive you need only ask MdC, C&S, etc.

Thats just me throwing some fuel on the fire (and maybe a little different perspective). PS....I have both MdC and C&S in my rotation. So go easy on me boys.

Why is gas so expensive? Because people still pay for it.

You got that right. The same goes for gasoline prices. If the consumer would push back as much as possible, prices could be lower. You must understand that the producers (Big Bad Oil Companies - tongue in cheek) are only netting about $0.01/gallon. The local, state & federal gubment makes about $1/gallon in tax (with zero effort or input to production) and the station gets the rest. As long as the public will pay the prices will be higher.

I looked at the display in the local Wal-Mart this afternoon. They didn't even have any twin blade cartridges. Even the Mach 3 carts were barely displayed. They make you feel old-fashioned if you use a twin blade.

But folks are catching on. Twin blade carts are now about 10-12 cents each on Amazon if you buy in bulk. I didn't find 3 blades any better than 2 myself, and doubt 5 or 6 are much better either. So there are good quality, cheap cart options. But without advertising, I don't know how many will choose them.

DE shaving is a bit more esoteric. I think it is harmed somewhat by the emphasis on preparation - shower, heat your face, use a shave oil, brush up some lather, etc. I told my son and my friends I just lather my face with Dial, rinse, lather again and shave. If I need another pass, shaving cream (Gillette Foamy). Rinse and go.

Lots of preparation is fine if you are retired, but it doesn't fit in if you need to be to work at 5 AM...

The price of something going down doesn't seem to me like "folks are catching on". The principle of supply and demand leads me to believe the opposite is true: fewer people are buying them, so sellers on Amazon are practically giving them away. Also explains why the store isn't stocking them.

Top Bottom