What's new

Which shampoo bar?

Liggett's works well and is widely available. I'm working my way through several QCS bars which are also good.

Have only tried Mystic Waters and like it very much. Just placed an order for two more bars. I follow it up with a vinegar rinse and Mystic herbal hair oil conditioner.

I just learned about shampoo bars today. I need to pick one and get on the band wagon!
Me too! This thread was the first I have ever heard of a shampoo bar! How do you use it? Rub it in your hands then apply to your hair, or shove the bar right into your scalp? I've never seen one at any stores here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Anywhere in particular I should look?

Last edited:
Me too! This thread was the first I have ever heard of a shampoo bar! How do you use it? Rub it in your hands then apply to your hair, or shove the bar right into your scalp? I've never seen one at any stores here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Anywhere in particular I should look?

Wet hair, rub the bar on scalp, lather, rinse.

I got my shampoo bar on Amazon, but I hear that Whole Foods carries shampoo bars. There should be one near you since they are popping up everywhere now.

How effective is Dr Bronner's Soap as a Shampoo?

I've used it a few times (the liquid, not the bar). Not too bad, though generally I've only used it one-off rather than on a regular basis, so YMMV if you're using it often. I'd advise an occasional vinegar rinse.

I've used Chagrin Valley, both Cafe Moreno and Ayurvedic Herb. I am currently in middle of a QCS lemon bergamot bar.

I've liked the Cafe Moreno best so far.

I asked Stirling Soaps if they have a shampoo bar, and they say it is coming soon. I hope they hurry, so I can try it when my QCS is done, but I might have to try something else in the meantime.

I wash my hair with normal hand washing soap bar. Don't have any problems with irritations or dandruffs. I don't need any special shampoo bar.

I wash my hair with normal hand washing soap bar. Don't have any problems with irritations or dandruffs. I don't need any special shampoo bar.

Same here Cholli. I use a bath bar for hand washing, bathing, face wash, and shampoo. I do occasionally use shampoo like 2-3 times in a month as a change.

Unless things have changed, those Lush shampoo bars are full of SLS, the common ingredient in liquid shampoo that cause some people to have skin reactions.

I've been using the unscented "seed" brand shampoo bar from drugstore dot com for about a month or so. I *think* it is SLS free, and so far it has given me no problems. Lathers up great, better than Liggett.

I'm currently using Ligget's Ultra Balanced Shampoo Bar. It's pretty good - it gets my hair veeeeery clean. I'm grateful I've got some good conditioner. I had a couple samples of QCS shampoo bars thanks to B&B member inspiringK. I think I like them a little better, but I'm not really sure. I can't tell if they're stripping my hair's natural oils less or leaving more gunk on it. The QCS lather definitely seemed richer at any rate and my hair seemed less dry, but required more frequent shampooing.

I just opened up a Liggett's peppermint and jojoba shampoo bar. I was expecting a peppermint scent but was surprised that it had no scent whatsoever. This thing EXPLODED with lather with just a few swirls. It left a really "squeaky" clean which I'm not used to. Does anyone know if this is a good thing? Also, do the soaps from CV, QCS, and MW all have this "squeaky" clean affect?

I have read that the squeaky clean you mention is NOT good. You get that sound when all the natural oils have been stripped away.

Top Bottom