What's new

Which Method Do You Use To Light Charcoal?

Weber chimney, regular or mini.... best thing since sliced bread!

Looftlighter is nice and handy.... to defrost my freezer, that is, not to lit charcoal :)

Weber chimney above the gas assist lighter on my Weber Performer or using two paper towels lightly saturated in cooking oil.

Not sure why I never thought of this.
Other than perhaps needing to clean up ash from the burner, it seems simple and good.

Yep, quick and easy :thumbsup:

Pre-packing the chimney before putting on the burner helps cut down on the amount of ash on the burner.

I use mainly briquettes and find that very little ash comes off them while heating.

Gas burner on for 4-5 minutes, then turn off, wait another 5 minutes or so, and they're ready to go :thumbsup:

One of these does the trick, and the cartridges only cost a couple of dollars each and last for ages.

$th.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Pre-packing the chimney before putting on the burner helps cut down on the amount of ash on the burner.

I use mainly briquettes and find that very little ash comes off them while heating.

Gas burner on for 4-5 minutes, then turn off, wait another 5 minutes or so, and they're ready to go :thumbsup:

One of these does the trick, and the cartridges only cost a couple of dollars each and last for ages.

View attachment 654569

Now I've got to buy one of these. This place will ruin me yet.

Here's another way, a side-benefit of the big brother grill, and within 12 inches of the kettle :)
$uploadfromtaptalk1455904153498.jpg
My chimney currently lives on the lid of the side-burner. D'oh.

Fired up the smoker this morning, cover was off the NG grill, so went the easy route for starting my chimney.

Easy Peasy:
proxy.php

You've got the best method.

Crumpled paper in the bottom, charcoal above, light paper with a match and that's all she wrote.

Chimney lighters will give you the most even start/burn of any lighting method and no stink-em like you get with fluids.

I just got a Weber chimney this week. No more need to buy lighter fluid for me :biggrin1:

$IMG_20160523_192158[1].jpg$IMG_20160523_192208[1].jpg

I just got a Weber chimney this week. No more need to buy lighter fluid for me :biggrin1:

Chimney lighters are the only way to go.

I gave up on charcoal 2 decades ago when the bottom fell out of my cast aluminum grill (the entire bottom of the cooker failed and the ENTIRE metal bottom along with all of the coals dropped on the ground). Luckily I was standing right there and ran for the hose to put out the blaze that erupted out of what was green grass.

Now I grill right outside of my kitchen door on a wood deck. No more charcoal for me I am afraid. Just gas....

BUT......

1/3 of my 3 front to rear burners has a large iron box over it and I use that for my wood (hickory, cherry, apple, or mesquite). The other 2 burners fire under lava rocks.

I replaced the wimpy propane regulator that came on my grill with an adjustable one for a wok burner and now I can go from mild to jet AFTERBURNER flames..... WOW what a difference.... I now use 10 times the gas I did before but I have one heck of a lot more fun :001_smile

If anyone wants to "see" I can do a video sometime in the "near or distant future" for you to see what I am talking about.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Pushing this thread back up.

I bought an electric starter last week-end for my Kamado Joe (KJ-ES). I am lucky to have a power outlet right next to the Kamado Joe so I can plug it in directly. The starter has a 6' (or 5', around there, cord) so I can plug it in directly.

Before, I used to pile coal on top of the newspaper, start it, and then proceed to BBQ. I got the electric starter as I received a notice last week that all my flyers are going online so I won't get a paper copy anymore. So, I needed an alternative.

I looked at various electric starters but ended up with the traditional element that became hot (KJ-ES). I looked at many videos that used the Looft Lighter electric firestarter and I didn't like the noise (the KS-EJ isn't a hairdryer so no noise). Starting the fire is the same. I put the element in the Kamado Joe, cover with coals, plug in, and wait.

The first fire took 18 minutes to get everything going. There was a *lot* less smoke compared to the newspaper. The second fire took 8-9 minutes and I had a flame coming out of the coals.

I leave the starter under the Kamado Joe until it cools off (15-20 minutes). When it's cool to touch I bring it back inside the house. It's electric so I rather not leave it in the rain.

I don't know why it took me so long to switch to that device!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
With the newspaper industry going away, I rely on the free local hippy paper to load the chimney. When that option goes away, I may give up charcoal and wood except for a few smoked briskets around Labor Day, July 4, and Memorial Day.

Top Bottom