What's new

Which Method Do You Use To Light Charcoal?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've been using chimney's to start mine. I love them. I tried the electric thingamajig but it took forever or I was doing it wrong. Anyway, what method of lighting do you use?

$AIK-02102X-2.jpg

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I got a Weber Rapidfire chimney a couple weeks ago. I have grilled 3 times since then. I will never go back to lighter fluid- the chimney is awesome squared.

Blow torch...45 sec to a minute or so on the hot coals, leave lid open on cooker and off I go. Once it see the surrounding colas are igniting, I can close lid and adjust vents and dampener.

Chimney starter used to be my method of choice, until I read about the blow torch.

The torch sits in my BBQ accessory stand with a branding iron with my initials, so its easy and convenient to use.

Last edited:
Blow torch...45ec to a minute or so on the hot coals, leave lid open on cooker and off I go. Once it see the surrounding colas are igniting, I can close lid and adjust vents and dampener.

Chimney starter used to be my method of choice, until I read about the low torch.

The torch sits in my BBQ accessory stand with a branding iron with my initials, so its easy and convenient to use.

Do you initial each steak? :chef:

Chimney starter on side burner of gas grill works wonderfully too :thumbup1:

I generally fill my Ceramic Cooker or Weber Dome up with charcoal and only top up when needed. I can fill it, clean the ash, use the existing coals and may not need to refill for a few cooks down the road. So for me, I find lighting right in the unit works best for me.

Snaking a piece of oil soaked paper through the top layer, then lighting works too. The video below demonstrates with a few pieces, but it's the same result.

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Actually, I usually drag my grill down to my buddy at the local radiology joint. He runs it through an MRI, and it lights those puppies in no time. Sets me back 1500, but makes a very good burger.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
My preference is to start the BGE according to how it is going to be cooked on. If pizza or steaks etc. high temps are the plan, I use the chimney.

On the low and slow cooks, some times the chimney gets too much going too fast, in those cases a torch or one of the little firestarters works also .. like these
$41SWZs2sZPL._SX425_.jpg

Top Bottom