What's new

Which lapping stone to get?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just as good as the marble tile is a piece of heavy glass. Glass coffee table tops work great for this. Also keep an eye out for the sink cutout from a polished granite countertop. These are usually flat enough to do a good job, too.

My wife had better not be home!

upload_2018-11-2_17-44-41.jpeg

Here's what I've tried and rejected as I seek a really flat surface to smooth my Arkansas with SIC powder.
  • I've purchased and found not actually flat a marble tile from Lowe's ($3.99 down the drain).
  • I examined our little counter top area which is granite (we have Corian but one area by the stove is granite; we use it to put hot pots and pans on so as not to damage the Corian; I don't like the Corian but it was what my wife picked). The granite wasn't flat.
  • The other tiles I found at Lowe's and Home Depot were either not flat or they were not natural stone. I'm not sure ceramic or porcelain tiles will work for SIC powder.
  • I have a large Corian cutting board which we never use. It is flat. I suspect SIC powder and the Arkansas hard black stone would quickly concave Corian.
So, I'm going to check the coffee table in the living room. It has a heavy glass top.

If she catches me (which she won't) I'm telling her Slash made me do it. That's assuming the glass is flat and it should be.

While I was looking on the internet for a wife quotation I came across this. I can't say anything about it except that this couple got really lucky when they found each other.

proxy.php

Happy shaves,

Jim

My wife had better not be home!

View attachment 925020

Here's what I've tried and rejected as I seek a really flat surface to smooth my Arkansas with SIC powder.
  • I've purchased and found not actually flat a marble tile from Lowe's ($3.99 down the drain).
  • I examined our little counter top area which is granite (we have Corian but one area by the stove is granite; we use it to put hot pots and pans on so as not to damage the Corian; I don't like the Corian but it was what my wife picked). The granite wasn't flat.
  • The other tiles I found at Lowe's and Home Depot were either not flat or they were not natural stone. I'm not sure ceramic or porcelain tiles will work for SIC powder.
  • I have a large Corian cutting board which we never use. It is flat. I suspect SIC powder and the Arkansas hard black stone would quickly concave Corian.
So, I'm going to check the coffee table in the living room. It has a heavy glass top.

If she catches me (which she won't) I'm telling her Slash made me do it. That's assuming the glass is flat and it should be.

While I was looking on the internet for a wife quotation I came across this. I can't say anything about it except that this couple got really lucky when they found each other.

proxy.php

Happy shaves,

Jim
Take the marble tile over to the tool section and find a straight edge. That's what I did.

I use the Atoma #400 for lapping and then switch to the #600 for surfacing smooth followed by a tomonagura. For raising a slurry for honing I use a worn out #600. If any of you think that using a worn out diamond plate for raising a slurry is wasting your stone, I have a stone and an Atoma plate to send you if you promise to stick to it, and count strokes and the time to see how long (days or weeks) it takes to actually wear down a hard Jnat asagi. The amount of stone surface removed in raising a light slurry is in the microns range, not mm or inches. Alx

Wow in over six years no one took Alex up on this challenge. I am dumb founded. I use an Atoma 600 best for both worlds. May one day add a 400 or 1200 to the other side any suggestions.?

I can take my straight edge with me.

Oh, BTW, the glass topped coffee table is not flat.

I went to Home Depot. They have this white marble 12x12 for less than $4. I've used it for five honing with lapping films. I know some say get a more narrow piece. What I do/use works and I am not changing.

I think the key is reasonably flat because as you lap the powder is cutting both surfaces And evening them out. They don’t have to be perfect.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A steel cake pan on top of your flat piece of Corian would be the ticket.

Interesting. I think my wife has only aluminum and/or double walled cake pans, but I'll check it out. That might work very well. I'm having trouble visualizing it but I can see what we've got.

More than one way to skin a cat, right.

I've also not gone back to Home Depot with my straight edge in hand and looked at the various marble tiles. Surely one is flat. Plus, I haven't yet gone to the various local tile shops. Etc.

I'm sure I'll come up with something. It's just been less easy than I anticipated. Must be that Home Depot and Lowe's elsewhere stock granite but ours require that it be special ordered.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Your overcomplicating this. Find a tile thats reasonably flat or get a sheet of glass. If you want a granite thats perfectly flat you’ll spend $50-$100.
But if thats your wish you can order one from Rockler.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Your overcomplicating this. Find a tile thats reasonably flat or get a sheet of glass. If you want a granite thats perfectly flat you’ll spend $50-$100.
But if thats your wish you can order one from Rockler.

Maybe so. I am a honing newbie so I don't know anything.

proxy.php

My quest for a truly flat surface is inspired entirely by what I've read. According to a number of gentlemen it's very important or even crucial that the surface be truly flat. I know that doesn't mean truly flat at the industrial level, but, from what I've read, if I can slide a piece of paper under my professional straight edge, between the straight edge and the surface, the surface is not flat enough.

proxy.php

That's what I'm going by (that and the light and flashlight test), but only because of what I've read. Perhaps you're right. I don't know enough to do anything except trust other guys so I've relied on what I've read written by gentlemen such as Slash @Slash McCoy and Keith @Gamma and others. If I'm over reading what they've written that's on me.

Thanks for your advice.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Addendum: I realized while reviewing this post and reading the linked material that I've been using the wrong surface of my professional straight edge. I'll review the surfaces that I've already checked. Perhaps I have a flat surface and merely screwed up the method of checking for true flatness.

If I'm looking at the photos correctly (now) and reading the text closely enough I should be using the beveled edge with the etched markings and not the flat bottom edge of the straight edge. Oops.

Our Premium Straight Edge is made of solid steel 5mm thick (that’s just under ¼”) and will not bend. One edge is beveled to provide a crisp reference surface, and it is also marked with a full 12” scale, divided to 64ths, making it a useful measuring device as well.

That's from here, linked.

Last edited:
In the UK. You can pick up hardened glass lapping plates which have a guaranteed flatness for around $15 to $20. Surely you can get something similar in the US?

When I started several years back I got an Atoma 400 plate and then picked up a 1200 replacement stick on and stuck it on the back of the 400 so I have a duel plate, so I have a plate for lapping flat using the 400 and the 1200 is used to generate slurry off any stone even JNATS when not using a natural nagura, also use the side of the Atoma to check for flatness

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Just as good as the marble tile is a piece of heavy glass. Glass coffee table tops work great for this. Also keep an eye out for the sink cutout from a polished granite countertop. These are usually flat enough to do a good job, too.

When I need a lapping plate, a road trip to the granite countertop store to practice my dumpster diving. I have a permanent lapping setup outside so a don’t get the “look” from SWMBO. A find a few stones in the wild and many times they need some serious lapping to bring back to life. Use it for SC grit and W/D paper without any problems. I also have a 24 sq by 1 inch glass from a end table scored at goodwill to set up in the shade. Once the stones are dead flat outside, only a touch up needed with a DMT 325 or 600 depending on stone is my method

DA9C28E7-869D-4D67-AE4E-3AF7263C2734.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
When I need a lapping plate, a road trip to the granite countertop store to practice my dumpster diving. I have a permanent lapping setup outside so a don’t get the “look” from SWMBO. A find a few stones in the wild and many times they need some serious lapping to bring back to life. Use it for SC grit and W/D paper without any problems. I also have a 24 sq by 1 inch glass from a end table scored at goodwill to set up in the shade. Once the stones are dead flat outside, only a touch up needed with a DMT 325 or 600 depending on stone is my method

View attachment 925307

Some great hints here. Including SWMBO'd hints.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom